Flight Simulator

*gta star*

Hi all, I'm wondering, who plays this game ? Whether it is FS2004, or the latest edition, 'FSX'.

Few questions too;

Your favourite aircraft to fly

Why you like flying it

Your longest ever flight

smile.gif

Hey gtastar, I remember your first FSX topic, perhaps you shoulda just bumped that or whatever.

But as for FS, yeah, I still play daily.

My favorite aircrafts are: The A321, A380 mod, F-16 mod.

Why you like flying them: The 321 is very modern, the A380 is a new plane, and F-16 is extremely fun.

Longest flight ever: Toronto to Tokyo. Stopped once for refueling, must have taken over 14 hours. Of course, I had majority on autopilot once at max altitude.

I'll post some nice screenies after.

Yeah, there was a topic ages ago mate, but I just had a look in the pinned thread, 'Before you make a thread' (or whatever), and it wasn't there. I thought that I'd make a new post, but this topic needs to be kept active if possible, as the other one died, which is a shame. Looking forward to some screenshots mate, or even a video would be good ( smile.gif ).

By the way, I'd like to know, on a long haul flight, if you need to stop to refuel, do you request a 'touch and go landing'. Once you land, do you taxi to the fuel station or something, or is that an option in the Air Traffic Control window?

I've never actually done a long haul flight yet, only flown like an hour, 30 minutes or so.

@XN22 - FSX is probably the best out of these, however, if you don't have Vista, it's not going to run at its full performance, i.e. the graphics won't be as good. You also need a good computer to run FSX, FS2004 is still a Simulator at the end of the day, so it's just as realistic. FSX has more planes, better graphics etc. However, FS2004 is a game that can be played by many people, the system requirements aren't too high. I have FS2004, and I love playing the game, if I wanted more planes/add-ons, I could just download them. Also, FSX is about £60 to buy new, which is quite expensive to be honest.

smile.gif

swolo yaggins

My mom's ex-husband used to always play this game and he's had every version possible for the past 10 years. He's got his "internet pilot license". LOLOLOL.

Look, I don't see what's so fun looking at the skies while you fly for 12 f*cking hours from London to Timbucktu (there are actually people that sit there the whole time!). I say, put it on auto-pilot and go have sex with the stewardess/wife!

The game has about 15 seconds of fun (landing/takeoff) and 100% boring. The only cool airport in the game is the one in Japan where you have to turn while landing between mountains.

I say they should spice up the game a little bit. Add something where the stewardess comes in and gives you a quickie. Or that common situation where you have to defend yourself from a disgruntled traveler with a box cutter. Maybe you can get up and relieve your bladder. Maybe you land at an airport and start shooting at DEA officers because you just flew in with 100 tons of cocaine. Anything!

BTW, Pokemon is more challenging than FS.

Edited by Desmosedici

5192:12.3.02
LM/SSH

mkl

My god. This game is f*cking ridiculous. What mere flight simulator requires FIFTEEN GIGABYTES OF HARD DRIVE SPACE TO INSTALL?! You could have the exact same game in one gigabyte if they toned down the graphics a bit - sh*t, you could have the exact same game in four gigabytes because the graphics weren't that good anyway. That alone was enough to piss me off, because the amount of sh*t I had to uninstall to put it on for dad was ridiculous; until the game leaps of of the screen and grabs me by the balls, no game should be 15 gig.

PS. Ditto on what Desmosedici said.

s FIFTEEN GIGABYTES OF HARD DRIVE SPACE TO INSTALL?!

You're f*cking serious. I have 40 GB of free space but that's not the point, no game should be 15 GB.

user posted image

unban asmo.

By the way, I'd like to know, on a long haul flight, if you need to stop to refuel, do you request a 'touch and go landing'. Once you land, do you taxi to the fuel station or something, or is that an option in the Air Traffic Control window?

Yeah, you find a nearby airport, or just best to make a flight plan to your refueling airport first. Simply land, open up the ATC, request to designated fueling area, taxi there, and request the fuel truck.

What mere flight simulator requires FIFTEEN GIGABYTES OF HARD DRIVE SPACE TO INSTALL?!

Well, if you would consider the fact you have the ENTIRE f*ckING WORLD TO FLY IN, including the landmarks, small islands, animals, cars, boats, various details accumulated to whichever location it belongs in..

If you just want to fly, like technically fly, then stick with 2004 (or even lower). But if you would like to know how it truly looks when you look out the f*cking window, then this game does it all.

swolo yaggins
Are you serious? The whole world?

So if I want, I can fly over my house? wow.gif

You're not going to actually see your house because it's not GoogleMaps nor does it have good graphics. The only good graphics are the interior of the plane.

Torcidas, your argument would be a good one if FlightSimulator had entire cities and the landmarks were actually satisfactory. However, they're not.

LM/SSH

mkl

Are you serious? The whole world?

So if I want, I can fly over my house? wow.gif

You're not going to actually see your house because it's not GoogleMaps nor does it have good graphics. The only good graphics are the interior of the plane.

Torcidas, your argument would be a good one if FlightSimulator had entire cities and the landmarks were actually satisfactory. However, they're not.

They're more than good enough to satisfy anyone that plays Flight Simulator for the sole reason of flying.

Besides, this is a simulator, not a game, and its more than enough to please anyone interested in aviation. Also, there is no serious competition for computer aviation simulation, so there really isn't a huge array of choices you consider.

Many people use flight simulators for home training of flight, or in many cases just the enjoyment of being in control of an airplane.

I find the landmarks satisfactory, particularly on above-medium graphic settings. Microsoft can't be deemed responsible if your satisfaction is not achieved if your system cannot handle it.

Here are your promised pics. 56k beware.

Getting ready for taking off - St. Johns Intl.

user posted image

Over the pacific

user posted image

Stunting in Croatia - Extra300S Stunt Plane

user posted image

Landing

user posted image

Landing an F-16

user posted image

F-16 in the air

user posted image

Flying A320. Note the 737 under me.

user posted image

Landing ze Airbus.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I don't have the game but i did play it at my friends house and it's awesome but it can get boring at some points but i understand that its for people who love flying and want to be future pilots...its fun when your playing but watching other people play gets annoying...but its cool flying at night with all the lights and its cool during the day flying over the farm fields

My longest flight was from London, England to Normandy, France

Yeah i know not that long of a flight. It took about 20 minutes i think

You have to remember that this is a Simulator, you aren't going to get anymore realistic than this, unless you actually sit in a plane and fly it.

One thing I hate, when I'm coming into land. Air Traffic Control tell you to maintain 2,000 feet, but I always think that I'm too high, looks aswell like I'm going to miss the runway. So, then I drop to about 1,000 feet, then I'm too low or something.

Anyone got any tips for me ?

Speed - Roughly 160kts

Flaps - 25

Landing gear - Down

Autopilot - On

Runway - Visual

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, either I come to land on the runway sidewards, when I should be coming in straight. sad.gif

Those lights at the end of the runway, they are either all yellow, or all red ? (Like the one posted in the above screenshot of the F-16 landing).

Edited by *gta star*

If you're landing visual and you have a GPS. That is very handy, if not check your Flight Map and look at where the runway is. When you see the runway visually keep at 1500ft then turn it off and land with FULL flaps. It depends on your aircraft.

737 - 115 kts

747 - 140 kts

757/767 - 135 kts

Touchdown speed, of course. Not the entire glideslope if you like bouncing. If you have call out like "500 200 100 50 40.." This is how I see it:

"2500 - Lining up on the runway"

"1000 - Runway is directly ahead and ready to land on"

"500 - Final checks ready to get the flare"

"400 - Keep it inline DONT PANIC!"

"300 - Keep her coming down"

"200 - You should be just coming over the runway"

"100 - Flare"

"50 40 30 20 (CUT THROTTLES TO IDLE) 10....Landing"

Speed break is armed prior to approach and reverse thrusts checked.

Kev, it all depends how many miles you are, whats the speed needed, the basic geography of the place. Show us a picture of where your trying to land on.

I'll post some screens soon.

It's one of the flights in the game, only a 30 minute flight. 'Malpensa' I think it's called, if you go on the game, go to 'Select flight', then click 'Modern Cargo Pilot (Hard)', it's on that list (the only 30 minute flight).

I fly the 737-400, but I come in at about 160knots, but 25 degrees of flaps, I never seem to descend quick enough, I always seem to be either too high or too low.

I always seem to be either too high or too low.

I've always had the similar problem - if I was too high, I'd have to decrease more quickly, thus giving me a lot more unnecessary speed and hurting myself, or overshooting the runway. If I was too low, I'd undershoot the runway, and not have enough speed to be able to lift just enough to make it to the runway.

Just plan ahead. Know which runway your on, create a good route, and try to understand the ATC help.

Also, you were saying how you were landing sideways, and not straight. Your best bet is to start using the rudder while landing. Simply use it to straighten yourself with the runway, and the rest is a piece of cake. If you have even more trouble, I suggest you do one of Rod Machado's lessons, in the Learning Center. Those can come very handy, and they are easy to comprehend.

I think my problem is that I'm coming in too fast, then try and slow down too quickly, whilst trying to fiddle with everything else (flaps, landing gear). I think I should just slow down a bit on landing, then I'll have plenty of time to do everything properly.

smile.gif

swolo yaggins

You have to remember that this is a Simulator, you aren't going to get anymore realistic than this, unless you actually sit in a plane and fly it.

Flying a Cessna 172 in real life kicks the sh*t out of Flight Simulator. And, I don't know if you realized it, but my ideas are all real-life situations.

I say they should spice up the game a little bit. Add something where the stewardess comes in and gives you a quickie. Or that common situation where you have to defend yourself from a disgruntled traveler with a box cutter. Maybe you can get up and relieve your bladder. Maybe you land at an airport and start shooting at DEA officers because you just flew in with 100 tons of cocaine. Anything!

Anyways, I'm out of this topic. Have fun flying in a straight line and talking to a guy on a microphone that dedicates his time to being an internet control tower person.

LM/SSH

mkl

I think my problem is that I'm coming in too fast, then try and slow down too quickly, whilst trying to fiddle with everything else (flaps, landing gear). I think I should just slow down a bit on landing, then I'll have plenty of time to do everything properly.

smile.gif

Rather than "flying" to your runway, try to let the plane slowly glide to it, if you know what I mean. You'll have A LOT of time to prepare, and you can pay more attention to altitude and rudder controls. There's a certain knot speed for various airplanes that allow you to glide down rather than using thrust. For smaller aircraft, its generally 60-70 knots for landing speed, but I'm not certain for jets.

Like Brad said, don't panic. You likely wont get it the first time, but soon enough it will happen. Like I said earlier, Rod Machado's lessons are an excellent way to learn/improve flight skills.

But the key here is PREPARE. Know where you are going. Check your GPS (zoom-out for broader look) for your runway. Check the flight map. Select the "navigation rings" to guide you to your runway. I tend to check my runway on the GPS approximately 50-75km away, and start banking to the heading. I slowly decrease to 20K-15K altitude, and try to glide the rest, while setting flaps, landing gear, and whatnot. Another good thing to do is just fly with the GPS open (Shift+3 for Boeing and Airbus planes). It's VERY handy, especially if you know what you're dealing with here.

I use my GPS, but I don't know how to set those 'navigation rings' that you suggested. How do I get those up ?

@Desmosedici - Obviously because it's REAL LIFE ! ! !

I will enjoy 'flying in a straight line' (eventhough you don't).

icon14.gif

Your favourite aircraft to fly: The Boeing 737-800 and the 747-400.

Why you like flying it: I dunno, they both look pretty cool, especially the 747. The cockpit looks pretty modern, too.

Your longest ever flight: I never really spent more than 2 hours playing this game. It was just a long free flight or a long mission/

Activity has dropped in this thread quite alot, keep this place active, recent flights you've done, any problems or anything like that.

Also, Torcidas, what do you mean by 'navigation rings' ?

Activity has dropped in this thread quite alot, keep this place active, recent flights you've done, any problems or anything like that.

Also, Torcidas, what do you mean by 'navigation rings' ?

Those things that pop up in the tutorials to keep you on track. They're sometimes squares.

I have 2004 & X, and I prefer X, no matter how much it cripples my virtual memory.

My favorite plane is the Beechcraft one, forgot the model though. Great memories of flying it over San Diego...

My longest flight was probably NY to Albany. Not long, but at least I landed. angry.gif

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.