Convert a FON linksys back to retail

iamdigitalman

iamdigitalman

I have had this router since I don't know how long. It's a WRT54GS, version 4. I also got a La Fonera, and for a while was running the two side by side, but disabled the La Fonera for a while because of the heat issue and I did not have enough power.

So, I want to take the WRT54GS, and apply the retail firmware. I downloaded it, and I switched my wifi over to the FON SSID. I tried loading 192.168.1.1, and even clicking the home page for it to bring me the login window. Nothing happened.

So, I get out my cables, and hook in to it old school style. First to the internet port, then to the 1st router port. Both times I tried a patch and crossover cable. Both times I got nothing.

I looked in the FAQ, and from what I understand, if you have a disconnected La Fonera, you lose your FOn privlages until it is working Again. Could that be the issue?

also, anyone happen to have a step to step on how to do this? I know how to upgrade firmware on my DSL modem, and when the firmware is retail on the Linsyses.

thanks in advance.

AMF 4ever. -digital wink.gif

user posted image

iamdigitalman

ok, little update. It is broadcasting the SSID OK, but when I attempt to connect to it on my PSP, I get "A connection error has occurred. The attempt to obtain the IP address timed out". I am also getting a "limited or no connection" under Windows XP when I connect it to the hard line number one on the back.

I am going to try to reset it, see if that does anything. Wish me luck.

user posted image

iamdigitalman

woohoo, ok figured it out. Had to reset it after all, and it worked fine after that. flashed with retail firmware for now, may put DD-WRT or a proper Open-WRT on it. It's funny FON would load a mission critical piece of hardware with beta software. It has (had) FON firmware (Beta 0.6.6).

sorry I figured it out on my own tounge.gif

user posted image

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.