Exhaust System

Primer43

Ok. I'm looking for some nice, and something thats all stainless steel.

I don't know sh*t about cars, so anything thats nice and high end.

I have a 2005 Grand Prix GTP, and I was looking at THese

but they only have them for the GXP model, not the GTP.

Please, anything nice, and I don't want my car sounding like a wind up toy.

Thanks Again.

Primer

This guy at work has an 05 (i think) Grand Am GT and he has a Flowmaster exhaust on it and it sounds pretty damn nice. It's louder than stock, but not obnoxious, and it's nice and deep and throaty.

Couldn't tell you anything about the MagnaFlow, my guess is it'd be good though.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

tuff_luv_capo

Flowmasters are played out but still sound the best on the Prix. My GF just bought an 07 G6 GT and I was considering these as well.

Personally I have HKS and no cats so mine is loud enough to set off car alarms.

Thanks for the responses, when I go to Flowmaster's site, and look at the kits, no GP's are listed

Flowmaster

I'll probably check out a local shop for some pricing.

Thanks again.

Yeah, I might go with them, thanks.

I like the dual tips one.

Does anyone know if this is a good brand?

because to be honest they are really reasonably priced.

Yeah, I might go with them, thanks.

I like the dual tips one.

Does anyone know if this is a good brand?

because to be honest they are really reasonably priced.

SLP is one of the most respected brands for GM vehicle upgrades. Hell, the Camaro SS, and the Firebird WS6 were both tuned by SLP and sold through GM, that is what made them SS and WS6. So, if the manufacturer trusts them, that's good enough for me. icon14.gif

Aight, cool, I ordered them.

Thanks A lot

Not a problem man! Hit me on MSN if you have any questions with this kind of stuff, I'm always happy to help out. smile.gif

Keep me updated on how you like them by the way. icon14.gif

Aight, cool, I ordered them.

Thanks A lot

Not a problem man! Hit me on MSN if you have any questions with this kind of stuff, I'm always happy to help out. smile.gif

Keep me updated on how you like them by the way. icon14.gif

Yeah, I will, thanks, I'll post pictures once they're installed.

Should I buy this pulley system for my car? Click Me

I'm try to make my car go a little faster, and I don't know much about "performance" parts.

Is there anything I should get?

I like high quality things, so I'll spend some money.

I got about $1000 I'll spend on the car now, and I'll have more next summer.

Any good sites/parts whatever, would be great, I'm having a hard time finding parts because I don't really know what to look for.

Thanks.

Edit: Sorry for the double post, I didn't want to make another topic...

Should I buy this pulley system for my car? Click Me

I'm try to make my car go a little faster, and I don't know much about "performance" parts.

Is there anything I should get?

I like high quality things, so I'll spend some money.

I got about $1000 I'll spend on the car now, and I'll have more next summer.

Any good sites/parts whatever, would be great, I'm having a hard time finding parts because I don't really know what to look for.

Thanks.

Edit: Sorry for the double post, I didn't want to make another topic...

SLP Parts for W-Body cars.

Basically anything you want is there. tounge.gif

Wow, I can't believe I didn't see that.

Thanks a lot, man. icon14.gif

Hehe, no big deal at all. I'm really into the SLP stuff though as you can see, I mean it's all just dirt cheap, and it's great quality.

tuff_luv_capo

My friend has SLP exhaust on his 2003 Mach 1. Mixed with an X-pipe to replace the cat and JLP intake system, that thing is Nascar loud.

San Andreas Nut
Flowmasters are played out but still sound the best on the Prix. My GF just bought an 07 G6 GT and I was considering these as well.

you dont need an exhaust that loud, that is just overkill. wouldn't even sound good.

you dont need an exhaust that loud, that is just overkill. wouldn't even sound good.

Yeah, sounding good > sounding loud.

So, would this supercharger pulley be a good buy.

Would I notice a performance increase?

My friend has SLP exhaust on his 2003 Mach 1. Mixed with an X-pipe to replace the cat and JLP intake system, that thing is Nascar loud.

He probably has the Loudmouth series. The one for the GP is called "Powerflo". The loudmouth is basically one of the loudest systems you will hear without running a cutout.

lurchseesu420

You can have both. Just because somethings loud as all hell doesn't mean it doesn't sound good (even though some people think that because it's loud it sounds good. Which isn't true either). Here's what I have.

user posted image

There is nothing but a header/collector and the big stinger tip. Really low back pressure. It's actally modeled after the exhaust of the porsche 550 spyders. It's loud as all getout but it by no means sounds bad. It actually sounds pretty damn good. Of course you couldn't do a radical system like this on a front engine car, but you could still do something different like sidepipes.

Edited by lurchseesu420

New account

I hope they sound good and loud, idk, I've heard loud cars that didn't sound good.

Hope it ships soon... I can't wait.

As far as pulley's are concerned...

Underdrive pulley's really aren't worth it, and a smaller supercharger pulley will spin your supercharger faster, producing more boost and therefore more power. Problem is, with more boost comes the need for more auxillary support systems for the S/C. You're going to have to start thinking about intercoolers, fuel pumps, injectors, oil cooling for the charger, dyno tuning, etc.

So unless you really really really know what you're doing... don't do it.

Edited by EvilPenguin
user posted image

tuff_luv_capo

My car sounds decent at certain RPMS. At low rpms it's very bassy, and gets annoying, and at 2000 rpms it sounds like any other car's 4000 rpms, so when I go up, it's very intimidating. You think I really need to shift when I'm only at 4500, and the power is climbing rediculously.

When I go up to 65000+ with the quick revs and the ram-air fully open, you get this whistling, howling F1 sounding exhaust. My setup sounds similar to this:

So unless you really really really know what you're doing... don't do it.

Point taken, I guess I won't venture there.

lurchseesu420

My car sounds decent at certain RPMS. At low rpms it's very bassy, and gets annoying, and at 2000 rpms it sounds like any other car's 4000 rpms, so when I go up, it's very intimidating. You think I really need to shift when I'm only at 4500, and the power is climbing rediculously.

When I go up to 65000+ with the quick revs and the ram-air fully open, you get this whistling, howling F1 sounding exhaust. My setup sounds similar to this:

I like it TLC. Sounds pretty good for a twin cam V-6. I take it your HKS system is pretty similar to the Borla. You mean 6500 rpm right and not 65000!? Bout to say it would have to be a f*ckin turbine to spin that fast. Mine sounds just like this.

All mine has is some pretty nice heads with biggers springs, valves, 3 angle valve job, etc. some other minor mods, and the stinger of course. Most people would consider what I have to be to "extreme" for everyday use. But I love the noise. I have the whole interior stripped (no trim or sound deadening, so it's very loud inside. Plus I have no radio and no tach in my car so I need to be able to hear the engine. Hell I love the noise so much that I plan on getting straight cut gears soon so I can hear my tranny whine like a bitch!

But back to Primer's grand prix. One thing that is very important to have a nice low fierce growl in an engine like that is to either remove or gut the cats. If you gut the cats of all the platinum inside you basically have a big (3 to 5 in.), very low back pressure piece of pipe. It's like a big hollow resonator. But if you take the cats off you can sell them for around 10 bucks a piece (platinum is worth money). And your not gonna wanna keep them if you're going all stainless steel anyway.

Lucky that the 3800 has so much potential. If you wanna go all stainless steel, then you should go for a high dollar brand like borla or magnaflow. They are definately worth the money. Flowmasters sound good and are a good deal, but I've never seen one in stainless steel. I don't know much about SLP but they seem to know how to make a hell of an exhaust for a Camaro or Firebird and that they seem to specialize on GM cars so they might be a good bet. I would go all out for the best sound tho. Headers (shorties most likely for a F/F car like that), no cats, 2.5 inch piping or so all the way through. But here's the secret. We used to do this at my old job. Do an X-pipe, but in the middle of the X right after the collector, put 1 of whatever muffler you use (borla, magnaflow, flowmaster, a glasspack) then continue the X back out to your dual tips. 1 muffler sounds really good without being "too" loud. And use a good tip. A tip that widens or flairs out gradually is a good way reduce a little bit of back pressure. That's what a stinger tip does.

And remember Stainless Steel has to be tig welded. Most of your parts will either be bolt on or clip on but anything that requires welding will also requier a special shop. Not all muffler shops have tig welders. And if you ever feel like modifying it, you can't unless you can tig weld. Back in high school, all me and my friends did was play around with the exhaust on our cars because we had the basic knowledge to lay a decent bead with a mig welder. Tiging is alot harder.

Just don't half ass it. Don't get that cat-back bullsh*t. Get a full system. Headers and everything. Stock Exhaust manifolds suck. And take advatage of having two banks of cylinders. Run a true dual system. Not something stupid that turns into a Y.

edit: I just noticed you already ordered them. Still not to late to get headers. colgate.gif And if you ever want something better. You can always sell your current system. All my friends do it all the time. Hard to make up your mind.

Edited by lurchseesu420

New account

But back to Primer's grand prix. One thing that is very important to have a nice low fierce growl in an engine like that is to either remove or gut the cats. If you gut the cats of all the platinum inside you basically have a big (3 to 5 in.), very low back pressure piece of pipe. It's like a big hollow resonator. But if you take the cats off you can sell them for around 10 bucks a piece (platinum is worth money). And your not gonna wanna keep them if you're going all stainless steel anyway.

Lucky that the 3800 has so much potential. If you wanna go all stainless steel, then you should go for a high dollar brand like borla or magnaflow. They are definately worth the money. Flowmasters sound good and are a good deal, but I've never seen one in stainless steel. I don't know much about SLP but they seem to know how to make a hell of an exhaust for a Camaro or Firebird and that they seem to specialize on GM cars so they might be a good bet. I would go all out for the best sound tho. Headers (shorties most likely for a F/F car like that), no cats, 2.5 inch piping or so all the way through. But here's the secret. We used to do this at my old job. Do an X-pipe, but in the middle of the X right after the collector, put 1 of whatever muffler you use (borla, magnaflow, flowmaster, a glasspack) then continue the X back out to your dual tips. 1 muffler sounds really good without being "too" loud. And use a good tip. A tip that widens or flairs out gradually is a good way reduce a little bit of back pressure. That's what a stinger tip does.

And remember Stainless Steel has to be tig welded. Most of your parts will either be bolt on or clip on but anything that requires welding will also requier a special shop. Not all muffler shops have tig welders. And if you ever feel like modifying it, you can't unless you can tig weld. Back in high school, all me and my friends did was play around with the exhaust on our cars because we had the basic knowledge to lay a decent bead with a mig welder. Tiging is alot harder.

Just don't half ass it. Don't get that cat-back bullsh*t. Get a full system. Headers and everything. Stock Exhaust manifolds suck. And take advatage of having two banks of cylinders. Run a true dual system. Not something stupid that turns into a Y.

Thanks for the response, I did buy the slp exhaust system, this one.

I'm pretty sure its a cat-back, I thought it was a full system...

Like I said, I don't know much about it an wouldn't even know what to pull the platinum out of. lol

There is a shop, I found on slp's site, that installs the system so would I be correct in assuming they tig wield? Hope so.

And I received this e-mail today.

Re:   Exhaust system.Before we must speak to you before we can ship outyour order.Thank you,JoanneSLP customer service @ 732-240-3696

So, I'll see how that goes...

Thanks again guys. smile.gif

lurchseesu420

Thanks for the response, I did buy the slp exhaust system, this one.

I'm pretty sure its a cat-back, I thought it was a full system...

Like I said, I don't know much about it an wouldn't even know what to pull the platinum out of. lol

There is a shop, I found on slp's site, that installs the system so would I be correct in assuming they tig wield? Hope so.

And I received this e-mail today.

Re:   Exhaust system.Before we must speak to you before we can ship outyour order.Thank you,JoanneSLP customer service @ 732-240-3696

So, I'll see how that goes...

Thanks again guys. smile.gif

Well here's your headers. I think we're starting to get a bit pricy now. And they say you should buy a high-flow cat. which I think is f*ckin stupid. Just buy more stainless steel piping and have it welded in. Oh and you don't happen to have C02 emissions test to your vehicles where you live do you. Hope not.

Dude gutting cats is fun (not kitty's lol). You cut the pipe off next to the cat with a band saw or something similar that does a clean cut and then you just take a hammer and a chissel or punch and start hammering away at that sh*t. But if you wanna go all stainless just cut em off and sell them.

Edited by lurchseesu420

New account

I wouldn't mess with pullies as it is just based on the fact that the supercharger on the stock Grand Prix really doesn't produce much boost at all. It wouldn't be worth the money unless you had an aftermarket supercharger with a good amount more boost.

Don't worry about the SLP exhaust sounding bad. They're relatively loud, but SLP is the best sounding exhaust I have ever heard, and one of the few companies I would trust with my car.

Update us more as you go please. smile.gif

Haha, yeah there are CO2 emission tests, which sucks, does that mean I should leave the platinum in there?

And yeah those headers are pretty expensive, I can still have what I bought installed on my car the way it is now, right?

lurchseesu420
Haha, yeah there are CO2 emission tests, which sucks, does that mean I should leave the platinum in there?

And yeah those headers are pretty expensive, I can still have what I bought installed on my car the way it is now, right?

Might not be a good idea. Hell even the disclaimer for the headers says Not for sale or use on pollution-controlled motor vehicles. For off-road use only. Damn it sucks that they have Car inspections where you live. Here in tennessee, they don't do anything like that. Hell they could care less that my car has no bumpers and no muffler. I love where I live. cool.gif

New account

I'm looking forward to working on the exhaust on the 'Stang. Ford being Ford, the entire assembly is bolt on so the mad tyte aftermarket stunnaz can swap out different pipes to their hearts content.

All in all, V8's need to be heard. And I can't let my father's LS7 steal all of the thunder.

user posted image

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.