Choosing a new hard disk drive

cold fusion 33

cold fusion 33

My current hard drive has been reading up that it has been detecting errors so i thought it would be best to get a new hard disk.

i was looking at this:

SAMSUNG

HD160JJ

160GB 3.5" SATA II INTERNAL HARD DISK DRIVE

i was looking at this one in paticular as i am trying to get a cheap one.

i do not have much computer knowlege so i was hoping you guys could help me choose one.

any help would be appreciated,

CF33

Fozzy Fozborne

When shopping for hard drives, you look at two things: speed and space.

Here is a good place to compare hard drive speeds (as well as CPU, GPU, etc.)

Now, you selected a SATA drive, depending on your computer, it could be SATA or IDE/PATA.

I think the only way to find out whether it's PATA or SATA is to open the case, have a look around at your hard drives, and see whether it's connected by a small cable (SATA) or by a wide ribbon cable (PATA). The SATA connector is about 3/4 of an inch wide, and the PATA is about 1 1/2 inches wide.

That hard drive is about 50 American dollars, for about $5 more you could get a 200 GB hard drive with 20% more space. (I'm not sure how that would translate into pounds, but it's dumb not to get an extra 40 gigs for 5 bucks).

One final thing, when you format your drive, Windows will NOT show you "160 GB on drive C" but instead about "146GB on drive C". (or 111 on drive C with the 120 GB hard drive).

This is because hard drive manufacturers use a different size system than windows. Hard drive manufacturers use 1 billion bytes as a gigabyte when it's really 1,073,741,824 bytes that make a gigabyte, so you lose a small percentage of your space, however that's just how it is.

Hope that helped you.

cold fusion 33

icon14.gif wow thanks great adviced there its helped me alot, ill tell you how it goes.

i also have one more question that is very offtopic but i thought i would not be a good idea to make a new topic about something so pointless:

i am going to buy a xbox 360 core pack and ive heard that the core cant save anyting until you buy a new hard drive for it. so will a flash drive be able to plug in and save onto that instead of buying a hard drive?

Edited by cold fusion 33

GTA3Freak-2001
i am going to buy a xbox 360 core pack and ive heard that the core cant save anyting until you buy a new hard drive for it. so will a flash drive be able to plug in and save onto that instead of buying a hard drive?

Nope doesn't work like that, you could buy a 360 Memory card of 64MB or 256MB and be able to save your games but in the long run you should really buy the official 360 20GB or 120GB HDD instead as it will offer you alot of space for your saved games as well as music, video,s demos, downloadable content etc.

cold fusion 33

oowwww sad.gif

but the only reason i want a 360 is because i want to play GTA 4 when it comes out sad.gif and i dont want to have to pay £30 just to save my game sad.gif

Fozzy Fozborne

I'd say just get the Premium edition, it's about $50 more USD, which isn't alot when you consider what you get (better controller, hard drive, whatever else you get in that kit that you don't get in the core (having a lapse in brain activity right now).

cold fusion 33

$50? the core here is £150 the one with memory is £250!

i would be paying through the roof for something i ONLY want to save games on! isnt there like a small memory card for it?

EDIT: dont worry! i found a 64mb card for £22! yay!!!

Edited by cold fusion 33

GTA3Freak-2001
$50? the core here is £150 the one with memory is £250!

i would be paying through the roof for something i ONLY want to save games on! isnt there like a small memory card for it?

EDIT: dont worry! i found a 64mb card for £22! yay!!!

Good luck when the Downloadable Content comes out because you won't be able to fit it on a 64MB memory card, something to think about since you seem to only want a 360 for GTA4.

cold fusion 33

well i assume the downloadable content wont be available for ages so by the time it comes out i will have been able to afford a hard drive.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.