the word: Understood

BLUST33L

aight, the word understood:

definition:

know and comprehend the nature or meaning of

BUT, doesnt UNDER.. mean Less?.. like if you said underfed etc.. it means Less right?

so it would be LessStood..

now.

Stood in the context of "Understood" means you are in the Stance of knowledge right?

stood can also be seen as "position" etc..

so does this word mean Less Positioned?

so does this actually mean that Understood = Misunderstood??

but then, misunderstood would be a double negative to itself.. so uh... THIS IS WEIRD. confused.gif

I find this site a huge help in situations like this:

http://www.etymonline.com/

O.E. understandan "comprehend, grasp the idea of," probably lit. "stand in the midst of," from under + standan "to stand" (see stand). If this is the meaning, the under is not the usual word meaning "beneath," but from O.E. under, from PIE *nter- "between, among" (cf. Skt. antar "among, between," L. inter "between, among," Gk. entera "intestines;" see inter-). But the exact notion is unclear. Perhaps the ult. sense is "be close to," cf. Gk. epistamai "I know how, I know," lit. "I stand upon." Similar formations are found in O.Fris. (understonda), M.Dan. (understande), while other Gmc. languages use compounds meaning "stand before" (cf. Ger. verstehen, represented in O.E. by forstanden ). For this concept, most I.E. languages use fig. extensions of compounds that lit. mean "put together," or "separate," or "take, grasp."

Get all that? tounge.gif

HAha. Good one.

Basically, it means that it comes from the Old English "understandan," and in Old English "under" also meant "among." Therefore, to understand means to stand amidst the concept.

Under tävlingen = during the competition (in Swedish).

That's a cognate, and you might very well translate it as "'among' the competition" if you think of it in a slightly different way.

the under is not the usual word meaning "beneath," but from O.E. under, from PIE *nter-

For instance, Latin "inter-".

Edited by nlitement

• 3 months later...
HAha. Good one.

Basically, it means that it comes from the Old English "understandan," and in Old English "under" also meant "among." Therefore, to understand means to stand amidst the concept.

ahhhhh I see.. YES finally my question has been answered!!! colgate.gif

UNDERstood equals: You comprehend what you are told. Under the

spell of supposed knowledge.

OVERstand means: You will not accept what the indoctrinates will

try to force you under. No Brainwashing.

Special Thanks to Styles P

-derty

LUCK FOR A BUCK!!!!! f*ck Yea!

GTAF's Most Annoying Unbanned Member.

user posted image

bai. -jllr

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.