New Laptop

Outcast

I need to buy a new laptop with a budget of..well, money is of no matter. I just want a new laptop for gaming.

I've been looking at the HP Pavilion HDX but that doesnt come out until mid september here in China. Im looking for something thats already been in the market for a few months but whose specs can handle all the next gen games.

preferably something with at least a 250GB HD and 2GB RAM (i'll be using 32Bit Vista Ultimate so 4GB would be a waste) and a graphics card that can handle (is that the correct word for it?) DX10. CPU would prefer to be Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 or Intel Core 2 Extreme X7800.

If there is a built in webcam then thats great but if not, dont worry about it.

Thanks for all the help =)

eLqskO3.png

i was thinking of bigger brands such as HP or Sony cuz the postal service in china isnt reliable..at all

Like when i ordered my Zune off ebay, i didnt get it until 4 months later but it actually arrived within 2 weeks of me ordering it. The post office actually just quarantined it and didnt notify me. I had to get my office to enquire before they finally told me where and how i can pick it up.

Edited by Outcast

eLqskO3.png

Fozzy Fozborne

Dell's XPS notebook line is pretty impressive (also very expensive). Did you check them for a laptop that fits your needs?

Yer, I'd recommend dell,

Just so you can configure the sh*t out of it,

maybe go one step further and alienware?

i've checked the Dell XPS and Alienware. the problem with Alienware is that they dont ship to China (not 100% sure on that) and Dells got a pretty bad reputation what with their laptops just suddenly catching fire and all that.

Can anyone vouch for the Dell XPS solid build and quality? i dont want to be stuck with some half assed piece of sh*te

eLqskO3.png

Yer, I'd recommend dell,

Just so you can configure the sh*t out of it,

maybe go one step further and alienware?

I just ordered a Alienware laptop. Top of the range SLi.

Its getting shipped mid September, no idea why it takes so long, but cant wait for it.

Looked at Dells and just preferred the Alienware really, it just seemed what I wanted when it came to mobile gaming machines.

Will report more when I actually have it.

x3FWE.png

i've checked the Dell XPS and Alienware. the problem with Alienware is that they dont ship to China (not 100% sure on that) and Dells got a pretty bad reputation what with their laptops just suddenly catching fire and all that.

Can anyone vouch for the Dell XPS solid build and quality? i dont want to be stuck with some half assed piece of sh*te

you've got 90 days from when you receive it to decide, and to get your money back with dell's.

Maybe get it sent out of china to pick it up? Money being no object of course tounge.gif

actually they have a Dell office right here in Xiamen so i can just get it here. The problem is that if i get it and im not satisfied and i get my money back, i have to go through a period of time without a laptop and i'll have to spend more time looking at different laptops. Time which i cannot afford

eLqskO3.png

Fozzy Fozborne

Haha, Dells don't randomly catch fire. There was recall of a huge number of SONY batteries that are used to power a huge number of devices such as dell computers, other laptops, PSPs, cell phones, etc.

The Dells themselves are well put together machines that I'm sure you'd enjoy using.

i read a Dell laptop burst into flames at some japanese conference lol

the Dell XPS M2010 just caught my eye, anyone have any experience with it?

eLqskO3.png

Fozzy Fozborne

Yep, there was a couple laptops, a few cellphones, and I think 3 PSP's that caught fire from defective batteries. There hasn't been any reported cases since the recall, though.

Remember the 2010 is truly a desktop replacement in the fact that it weighs so much, and actually has a subwoofer built into its base. It does have a huge screen though, 21" and really great performance.

i've done more looking around the Dell website and the XPS M1330 really caught my fancy. Its small and light, looks good (unlike the XPS M1710) and it looks like it packs quite a punch in that small frame.

What do you guys think?

eLqskO3.png

alright, after some more looking around..i've decided on the Asus G2S

icon14.gif or icon13.gif ?

eLqskO3.png

alright, after some more looking around..i've decided on the Asus G2S

icon14.gif or icon13.gif ?

Wow. I read a couple reviews of it.

Very nice laptop, sounds like its well built .

I say go for it, Asus has a good reputation, and its got an 8600GT.

Plus it comes with a backpack and and a rebranded Logitech G5.

icon14.gif from me. smile.gif

alright, placed my order this afternoon. shipping takes around 3 days (Taiwan to China). Got the G2S with Core 2 Duo T7500 2.33Ghz, 200GB HDD, RAM 3GB DDR2, 8600M GT etc etc.

total cost including shipping and shiz: 22,750RMB = 3,001.319USD

thanks for all your help =)

eLqskO3.png

• 2 weeks later...
alright, placed my order this afternoon. shipping takes around 3 days (Taiwan to China). Got the G2S with Core 2 Duo T7500 2.33Ghz, 200GB HDD, RAM 3GB DDR2, 8600M GT etc etc.

total cost including shipping and shiz: 22,750RMB = 3,001.319USD

thanks for all your help =)

Let us know how it goes please.

Since ordering my Alienware (Should be here within a week) I found out that Dell now own Alienware.

They dont use Dell components, its still very much Alienware.

Dell are taking over...

x3FWE.png

Ok i recieved it a few days ago and i am now typing this very response on the keyboard of my brand new Asus G2S.

I'd have to say its a lovely laptop, albeit on the heavy side (5kg) and all the extras it comes with are great. HDMI, TV-Tuner all that stuff. Also comes with a rebranded Logitech MX518 and a Asus Gaming Series Backpack. Everything is in the black and red colour scheme which is extremely nice. Pics will be coming soon..as soon as i figure out how to upload my 7mp pictures.

ps. pics are all around 3.5mb, where can i upload them?

eLqskO3.png

Ok i recieved it a few days ago and i am now typing this very response on the keyboard of my brand new Asus G2S.

I'd have to say its a lovely laptop, albeit on the heavy side (5kg) and all the extras it comes with are great. HDMI, TV-Tuner all that stuff. Also comes with a rebranded Logitech MX518 and a Asus Gaming Series Backpack. Everything is in the black and red colour scheme which is extremely nice. Pics will be coming soon..as soon as i figure out how to upload my 7mp pictures.

ps. pics are all around 3.5mb, where can i upload them?

Re size the pics and use imageshack or something.

Have you run any games on it so far?

x3FWE.png

Well i've played LotR: Online on this and i play with the graphics settings on very high and it runs perfect.

I will be playing BioShock as soon as it finishes downlo.......as soon as i go out and buy it. ph34r.gif

Which AlienWare did you get? i was thinking about getting one too but they dont ship to China methinks.. cryani.gif

eLqskO3.png

Well i've played LotR: Online on this and i play with the graphics settings on very high and it runs perfect.

I will be playing BioShock as soon as it finishes downlo.......as soon as i go out and buy it. ph34r.gif

Which AlienWare did you get? i was thinking about getting one too but they dont ship to China methinks.. cryani.gif

Well I thought because you have a Dell place, they should have been able to get Alienware aswell.

Nomatter though, yours seems perfect, I went for the new Area 51 M9750.

Heres the spec.

[1] Area-51® m9750

Display: 17" WideXGA+ 1440 x 900 LCD - Stealth Black

Operating System: Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium - English

TV Tuner: None

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7400 2.16GHz 4MB Cache 667MHz FSB

Graphics Processor : Dual 512MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 7950 GTX - SLI Enabled

Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz - 2 x 1024MB

System Drive: High Performance with Data Security - RAID 1 - 200GB (200GB x 2) 7200 RPM SATA

Optical Drive: 8x Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24x CD-RW Combo with Nero Software

Sound Hardware: Intel® High-Definition Audio (24-bit, 192Khz) with surround sound

Keypad: Mobile Keypad - English

Wireless Network Card: Internal Intel® PRO Wireless 3945 a/b/g Mini-Card

Communications: Integrated 10/1000Mb Gigabit Ethernet & 56K V.92 Modem

Additional Power: Additional Battery - Alienware® Area-51 m9750 12-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Bluetooth: Integrated Bluetooth® Device

Warranty: AlienCare 1-Year Free Phone 24/7 and Collect & Return

Security Software: Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Professional - 12 month subscription Included!

Alienware Extras: Alienware® T-Shirt - FREE!

Alienware Extras: AlienInspection - Exclusive Integration and Inspection - £50 Value - FREE!

Alienware Extras: Exclusive AlienGUIse Theme Manager - FREE!

Alienware Extras: Custom Alienware® fUnc Mousepad - FREE!

Its being built as we speak, should be with me in a week or so.

x3FWE.png

wow thats a pretty nice setup, how much did it set you back?

I got it for 'business' So I can claim the VAT back, so its gona set me back about £1850.00

Worth it for what I need it for. Lets just hope it lives up to the price tag!

x3FWE.png

cool cool, im sure it will haha

alright, heres my specs

Processor: Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2GHz

Memory: 2048 MB

Hard drive: 200 GB

Optical drive: DVD SuperMulti Writer with LightScribe

Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT

Display: 17" 1440 x 900 LCD

Sound: Realtek HD Dolby Home Theatre

Remote: Yes

TV tuner: Yes

Operating system: Vista Ultimate 32bit

Weight w/battery: 5kg

Wireless LAN: 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n

Webcam: Yes

Extras: Rebranded Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse & Asus G2S Backpack (all decked out in Asus Gaming Series colours - red & black)

eLqskO3.png

I was going to get that higher res screen, but reading up on it, said the glare can make you squint a little when doing none gaming stuff on the laptop, which I will do alot, So I opted for the duller screen.

The weight is a little less aswell, 3.8kilo's i think, which is great for a 17" machine, plus its very thin.

x3FWE.png

i'll be using mine as a desktop replacement for when im at uni so i wont be moving it around much.

eLqskO3.png

i'll be using mine as a desktop replacement for when im at uni so i wont be moving it around much.

Why didn't you just get/build a nice desktop, and get an Ultra-portable laptop for a mobile computer?

You'd have a better gaming experience...

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.