Textures are 1 reference or many?

Icester

(GTA San Andreas)

Easy question: Are the textures a single instance in the .img files or must each instance be changed?

For example, the "Sex Shop" signs/billboards are contained in several .txd packages in the .img file. If I change one reference, will it change all the others also?

Thanks.

depends if a texture is used as a generic one or not

the map consists of objects (take a house for example) which are streamed in as you get closer to them, lets say theres house6.dff, that dff uses the textures in house6.txd.

so basically changing textures in house6.txd affects nothing else than the corresponding dff.

there are a few generic txd's though (with textures in them that are often used in the game), mostly not in the .img but in game directories, vehicle.txd, generic.txd etc.

(GTA San Andreas)

Easy question: Are the textures a single instance in the .img files or must each instance be changed?

For example, the "Sex Shop" signs/billboards are contained in several .txd packages in the .img file. If I change one reference, will it change all the others also?

Thanks.

there are several txd's within the gta3.img in SA that contain duplicate textures, each txd will need to be changed if you want all the duplicates of the texture you intend to change to be affected, replacing just one of the textures in 1 txd will not change all the duplicates, you need to alter each txd 1 by 1 manually.

Thanks. You both answered my question. I really appreciate the help.

Now, one more question, is the named reference the same for multiple copies? For example, the interior wall pictures of Candy Suxx is referenced in one instance as cj_sex. Could I expect it to also be cj_sex in other container files?

Edited by Icester