3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

ZoneAlarm - An alert every second

Mr Slick

So I've just installed ZoneAlarm since my Mcafee expired. But with ZA I keep getting security alerts as the seconds go by. It now stands at 304 in the space of a few minutes.

Whats going on here? Thanks

Edit: I have no untrusted programs or additional websites up at the time these alerts pure through.

Edited by Mr Slick

Well, firstly I'd recommend downloading AVG Free. Can't you check what the alarms are for? Surely it must tell you?

90% of the IP's are traced back to telecommuications companies. Polish, south korean, chinese, canadan etc weird.

I already have AVG. All's 'clear'.

Thanks

Edited by Mr Slick

Are the allerts for port scans? Putting yourself behind a hardware firewall of the router will help reduce that. The IPs you are getting might be proxies.

Are the allerts for port scans? Putting yourself behind a hardware firewall of the router will help reduce that. The IPs you are getting might be proxies.

Not sure, one example:

ZoneAlarm blocked traffic to port 1026 on your machine from port 29192 on a remote computer whose IP address is 24.64.101.249. This communication attempt may have been a port scan, or simply one of the millions of unsolicited commercial or network control messages that are routinely sent out over the Internet. Such unsolicited messages are often called Internet background noise.

I must of had thousands by now.

If you got that problem, you should totally uninstall the program that keeps popping up. It might be a spam, bot, or virus. A friend of mine had that for awhile, it ends a bit later, though.

If you got that problem, you should totally uninstall the program that keeps popping up. It might be a spam, bot, or virus. A friend of mine had that for awhile, it ends a bit later, though.

No, the program he has installed is supposed to do that. The problem is that sometimes if someone starts port-scanning you, they keep doing that, so you keep getting popups, which is annoying. I used to have the same problem back when I wasn't using a router.

@Mr Slick, yes, that's exactly the kind of message and frequency you'd get with a port scan attack. This is stage 1 of any serious attack. The attacker wants to find out what kind of servers you are running. (Almost any machine will run some sort of servers for various services.) To do that, attacker attempts to connect to a range of ports on your machine, and listens to repplies. Most servers will initiate handshake on connect, immediately giving away the type of server that is running. Once the attacker knows what kind of servers you run, he will attempt to find one that has a known voulnerability, and will then launch the full scale attack on your machine. Naturally, not every machine will have a voulnerability, so an attacker will run port scans on multiple machines at once, looking for the one that seems like a good target.

Best way to make sure that you don't get port-scanned is to have a router. It makes sense to have one even if you don't need it. Any port scan will be essentially port-scanning your router, which will not have any ports open that you didn't open manually in the settings. That ensures that you don't get screwed because of some poorly written web service on some process you didn't even know you were running.

No, the program he has installed is supposed to do that. The problem is that sometimes if someone starts port-scanning you, they keep doing that, so you keep getting popups, which is annoying. I used to have the same problem back when I wasn't using a router.

I think he had meant that it may be some spyware which he should scan for, although the post is a bit vague.

My ignorance of AVG includes not knowing if they have a spyware component in their software.

OP,

have you checked for spyware?

Are you behind a SOHO router?

I think he had meant that it may be some spyware which he should scan for, although the post is a bit vague.

My ignorance of AVG includes not knowing if they have a spyware component in their software.

1) She, not he. 2) No, Zone Alarm does not have spyware.

OP,

Again, pointless. He has incoming, not outgoing alarms, so it isn't spyware. And no, he couldn't have gotten port scan alarms if he was behind a NAT, unless he put himself in a DMZ.

1) She, not he. 2) No, Zone Alarm does not have spyware.

OP,

Again, pointless. He has incoming, not outgoing alarms, so it isn't spyware. And no, he couldn't have gotten port scan alarms if he was behind a NAT, unless he put himself in a DMZ.

So then, let's let him answer the question.

What is the point of the questions? People get port-scanned all the time. It's more common on some ranges than others, but virtually anyone will be getting harassed by port scans now or then. Just put yourself behind a NAT and stay safe.

Well, maybe he's in the DMZ and doesn't know it?

Maybe his siblings or roomate changed settings that he isn't aware of.

I guess we would have to agree to disagree about the "level" of help one could give another. If K^2 says you're good, then it is decidedly so....