Vietnam War Movies.

Xo4

I have recently become interested in The Vietnam war and was wondering if you guys know any good Vietnam war Movies.

I have Seen

Apocolypse Now

Full Metal Jacket

Platoon

Scarface187

We Were Soldiers. I thought it was good at least. Good battle sequences.

Apocalypse Now beats them all though.

user posted image

Attorney General

Go rent The Deer Hunter. It's directed by Michael Cimino, and it's stars Robert De Niro, Christopher Walken and Meryl Streep. It's a powerful film that leaves a lasting impression on almost anyone who watches it.

My opinion...Apocalypse Now and The Deer Hunter belong in a category of their own.

pAafese.gif

Go rent The Deer Hunter. It's directed by Michael Cimino, and it's stars Robert De Niro, Christopher Walken and Meryl Streep. It's a powerful film that leaves a lasting impression on almost anyone who watches it.

Yeah, my impression was

"My god, I hope I never have to sit through another three hours as boring as that."

Don't get me wrong, though, it was a good film, I just felt like I was waiting for the end most of the time.

Does Forrest Gump count as a Vietnam movie?

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

just another thug

Close enough. Plus it's pure awesomeness.

user posted image

Yeah, my impression was

"My god, I hope I never have to sit through another three hours as boring as that."

Don't get me wrong, though, it was a good film, I just felt like I was waiting for the end most of the time.

You like Forest Gump but not The Deer Hunter?

Good news, you opinion is f*cking void.

Yours too, Scarface. We Were Soldiers is f*cking terrible, pro-war, AMERIKKKA RULEZ bullsh*t.

You've seen all of the big 4 apart from The Deer Hunter. So do so, those are the 4 ESSENTIAL Vietnam movies and absolute peak of the sub-genre.

For my recommendation... Jacob's Ladder. Vietnam + Silent Hill = Jacob's Ladder. f*ck yeah.

Also check out Hearts and Minds, a tremendous documentary on it, with some amazing and shocking footage.

FT2DB7K.png

To round out the experience, check out Go tell the Spartans, Dead Presidents, and Good Morning Vietnam.

For sh*ts and grins, there's always Air America. inlove.gif

Air America? How about Operation Dumbo Drop? Total guilty pleasure movies.

Casualties of War is a great f*cking suggestion. Definitely the best Vietnam you probably haven't seen.

(Good Morning Vietnam is awful)

FT2DB7K.png

Scarface187

Yeah, my impression was

Yours too, Scarface. We Were Soldiers is f*cking terrible, pro-war, AMERIKKKA RULEZ bullsh*t.

You've seen all of the big 4 apart from The Deer Hunter. So do so, those are the 4 ESSENTIAL Vietnam movies and absolute peak of the sub-genre.

For my recommendation... Jacob's Ladder. Vietnam + Silent Hill = Jacob's Ladder. f*ck yeah.

Also check out Hearts and Minds, a tremendous documentary on it, with some amazing and shocking footage.

Yeah, I know its pretty bad but I still think it has some cool battle parts at least. If its on I just watch it for that. Thats what I meant. Plus everything I was going to say was mentioned already.

And oh god, Operation Dumbo Drop. I forgot about that movie. wow.gif

user posted image

We Were Soldiers is f*cking terrible, pro-war, AMERIKKKA RULEZ bullsh*t.

Yeah, I agree completley. Watched it once, borefest. Was on again a couple nights ago. Not a chance of watching it.

I still have to see Deer Hunter. "Mow! Didi Mow!". Only bit I've seen!

JoeyLeone25
Casualties of War.

Absolutely brilliant.

Aye, one must agree.

The scene near the end where the Vietnamese woman is running across the train tracks and is getting blown-to-f*cking-bits by the gunner, but really doesn't care due to the ordeal she's already been through. Hard to watch, but fantastic scene, easily one of De Palma's best.

Yeah, my impression was

Why don't you stop being such a condescending dick. Drop the whole, "holier than thou" attitude.

PSN Handle: CJVercetti

user posted image

***The Jack Thompson Email Archive***

Proud supporter of Steak in GTA IV

Thank you *MURDOC* for optimizing my avatar :D

He is "holier than thou", so deal with it. Stop whinging.

@Joey, yeah definitely. I also think the rape scene in this film was one of the first I saw, so that was particularly desturbing as well. confused.gif

scMmGsh.jpg

I loved Full Metal Jacket. Thats probably my favorite one.

Platoon was a great movie aswell, along with Hamburger Hill.

x3FWE.png

Yeah, my impression was

Why don't you stop being such a condescending dick. Drop the whole, "holier than thou" attitude.

You have an avatar of a children's TV show with the words "LazyTown Lover" under it.

Hearts and Minds is on Google Video.

Edited by WidowMaker

FT2DB7K.png

Vanilla Shake

Just watched Platoon this morning on DVD. f*cking excellent film. icon14.gif

TC718 / <629 / CF5

NGEh8XV.png

We Were Soldiers is f*cking terrible, pro-war, AMERIKKKA RULEZ bullsh*t.

America outgrew that during the 60s, after the McCarthy era of propaganda movies.

I love repressed emotions.

Attorney General

Yeah, my impression was

I gotta side with Widow on this one.

Forrest Gump was a good film...but when the dust settled...it turned out to be more of a commercially viable popcorn flick than a gritty Vietnam War film. Whereas The Deer Hunter was a cerebral film that imposed itself on it's viewer. For what it's worth, I felt like it perfectly captured the savagery of the war.

On a different note...has anyone seen The Dirty Dozen with Lee Marvin, Charles Bronson and Jim Brown? Never seen this flick, but I hear it's brilliant. Anyone?

pAafese.gif

Yeah, my impression was

You have an avatar of a children's TV show with the words "LazyTown Lover" under it.

Well thought out argument.

PSN Handle: CJVercetti

user posted image

***The Jack Thompson Email Archive***

Proud supporter of Steak in GTA IV

Thank you *MURDOC* for optimizing my avatar :D

Are you going to contribute to this topic or did you just come here to bitch at me?

I don't think any kind of person with an avatar like that is worth arguing, I mean you're either a child or a paedophile. user posted image

FT2DB7K.png

Ok, So Probably Monday I'm Gonna pick up The Deer Hunter, Casualties of War, and Hamburger Hill

Lazy town is awesome, hands down. ADD riddled rubberized kids and a dude named Sporticus. f*cking groovy.

Anyhow. Don't forget "Go tell the Spartans"

Yeah, my impression was

DEATH TO AMERICA!

Edited by Teqila

DEATH TO AMERICA!

That comment makes you sound smart and informed.

I love repressed emotions.

Yeah, my impression was

Well, I like the film more, but I was kind of questioning whether it counted. It's got a loot of other back story.

Can't believe I forgot Jacob's Ladder, though.

Everyone and their mother's goes on about how great The Deer Hunter was, but it was just such a hard one to sit through for me.

EDIT

WidowMaker has got a right to be holier than thou when it comes to movies. He's recommended me more good ones than I think Blockbuster even has! Matter of fact...

SagaciousKJB goes to watch Brazil again and forgets about thread
Edited by SagaciousKJB

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

just another thug

I just watched Apocalypse Now today. Such a great movie. Francis Ford Coppola does a hell of a job.

user posted image

There was one with Colin Farel in. I can't think what it's called.

umm TIGER LAND. try that,

user posted image

There was one with Colin Farel in. I can't think what it's called.

umm TIGER LAND. try that,

Was thinking about posting that the other day, but wasn't really sure whether it would count as a Vietnam movie, since you know, they are not in Vietnam, pretty good film though.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.