PC freezes when I get in a car

Mangled*

So today I installed San Andreas (on a slightly old pc) and it runs fine. I meet all the hardware and software requirements.. but sometimes (about 40% of the time... when I get in a car the game totally freezes as soon as the door shuts and all I hear is a high pitched beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep which just goes on and on... I can't alt tab out or ctrl alt del, so I have to reboot each time it happens.

At first I thought is was perhaps a problem with my dvd drive (12x) reading the disk so I tried doing a full install and it still happens...

uhh help please?

My system specs are as follows:

1.6Ghz amd processor

Win XP service pack 2

GeForce2 MX400 (64mb) with DX9c

640mb RAM

12x DVD drive

more than enough uncompressed hard disk space..

This crashing problem seems to happen at random when I enter a car (it doesn't happen on bicycles)

I don't know if this is a known bug or anything... but any suggestions as to the cause or how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Ring_of_Fire

How you even get the game to run on GeForce 2? San Andreas didn't recommend anyone to run it on GeForce 4.

My recommendation would probably be to reinstall the game fully, update drivers, delete [.set] file, and install Patch v1.01. You'll soon need new hardware though if more freezes should occur. devil.gif

Also set compatibility to Windows 98 and turn on/off frame limiter.

The GeForce2 MX400 is sort of a budget version of the GeForce 3 as far as I know.. it has 64mb ram and runs SA fine... I'm pretty sure it's not a graphical problem, since the crash is only caused by getting into vehicles with radios.. (randomly) (I can actually cruise around full throttle with dollyzoom and blurring effects fine.. it's just the random thing of getting into cars)

The specs for SA say 64mb / GeForce 3 or higher ... the MX400 is the only GeForce 2 model with 64mb ... the others only have 32mb.

Anyway... I'll try updating my drivers and running in win98... if nothing helps then I'll try patching.

Ring_of_Fire

Even though you just installed the game, it wasn't your intention to put mods right away and mess up your San Andreas? Good luck on the drivers, and the rest of the given above advices like the deletion of [.set] file, compatibility mode, and Patch 1.01.

I'm leaning towards audio issue - specifically, the radio stations aren't being read correctly/fast enough. Running a full install was a good idea. Complement it with a no DVD crack (you're on your own when it comes to finding one), as I've seen a few cases where the game still tries to access the disc for the radio even under a full install.

Ring_of_Fire

Luckily, the "No More Hot Coffee" 1.01 patch is already a No-CD crack. I can't remember the last time I used my SA disc. biggrin.gif Yeah, definitely you need a damn fast DVD-ROM drive for those radio station loading - the hard drive simply accesses the data faster. Oh, it could also be that you are using "Custom MP3s" and some other weird music file extensions you're given the media player for SA to play when it cannot.

as I've seen a few cases where the game still tries to access the disc for the radio even under a full install.

Really? wow.gif

"Luckily, the "No More Hot Coffee" 1.01 patch is already a No-CD crack."

Sorry 'bout that. It's not...

Edited by Ring_of_Fire

Turns out that simply setting it to run in win98 mode fixed it... Thanks for the help.

Now I've gotta uninstall and reinstall to free up that extra gig inlove.gif

How you even get the game to run on GeForce 2? San Andreas didn't recommend anyone to run it on GeForce 4.

The GeForce 2 MX 400 will run the game fine on a low resolution with the settings turned to medium/low.