Adjusting screen brightness

xtal256

Does anyone else have a Toshiba laptop? I want to know if it's possible to change the default brightness levels. It has 8 levels of brightness (changed using the Fn keys) i would like it darker. 8 is so bright it hurts my eyes and 1 is about what i would want 3 or 4 to be. I searched google and found a few things but they were for linux (i run windows), it mentioned a file with the values 10, 25, 30, etc, i.e. levels of brightness. Is there anyway i can do that on windows?

thanx

btw, it's a Toshiba Satellite M50

Edited by Haro

There could be a way to adjust brightness, etc. under screen's Properties->Settings->Advanced. (Settings being the place where you change resolution.) I know that on the nVidia cards you get a tab for your graphics card that has color correction, which includes a whole bunch of ways to adjust your image.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

The manual doesn't say what kind of display settings there are in the BIOS, but it says there are some so it is possibly in there.

on the nVidia cards you get a tab for your graphics card that has color correction, which includes a whole bunch of ways to adjust your image.

I don't have an nVidia card but there are some settings like you mentioned. However, those are all for the colour and graphics/display settings, there is nothing about LCD backlight brightness.

I might check out the BIOS next time i reboot but as far as i can remember there is nothing in there.

I thought there might be a registry setting that says what levels to have.

Fozzy Fozborne

According to the manual hold the Fn (function) button and press F6 to decrease the brightness or Fn and F7 to increase the brightness.

On my old Toshiba, holding Fn (Function) and pressing the Up/Down arrow keys changes the brightness. Left/Right arrow keys for contrast.

Looks like they changed the keys on the newer model smile.gif

According to the manual hold the Fn (function) button and press F6 to decrease the brightness or Fn and F7 to increase the brightness.

I think it's called ... "reading the topic"

It has 8 levels of brightness (changed using the Fn keys)

Didn't i already say that? I know how to change the brightness levels, what i want to know is if you can the amount of brightness. The Mac iBooks can dim a lot lower that my Toshiba, the lowest level is a pitch black screen (no backlight at all).

How about a hardware solution? If it's too bright, put a filter over the screen. Of course, you might be just trying to save the batteries, in which case I really don't know.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

you might be just trying to save the batteries

That would be a plus but it wasn't my initial concern.

Today i was using my laptop in the sun and the screen was kinda hard to see, it was easiest to see on full brightness. But i normally don't have the sun directly on the screen, and sometimes i use it at night. Of course i have the lights on but the screen can still seem bright. But if there is nothing in the BIOS and no settings for it then i guess it's just not possible

If your main concern isn't battery life, try reducing brigtness on software level anyways. It won't make the light go dimmer, but it should make the liquid crystal cells less translucent, giving you the same overall effect. You might also have to adjust contrast, though. Your correction curve, if it is displayed, should be a straight line starting at zero on the left and not going all the way to the top on the right hand side.

I just remembered, when i first boot my laptop, the screen is slightly darker that normal. Then after a second or two it goes to it's normal brightness (this is all on the lowest brightness setting). I think it is slightly darker on batteries, to save power, and it also does it at the start like i just mentioned because it has to detect that it's not using batteries.

So, if it goes darker on batteries why can't it go that dark always? There must be some way to change it

It probably doesn't apply to your laptop, mine doesn't have it either, but i used to have a Sony Vaio and in the BIOS there was a brightness setting.

I've never seen this setting in any other BIOS, on any other laptop.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.