Most Influential Rock band on modern day music?

locosyndicate

locosyndicate

I've always wanted to know what peoples opinions on this question are.

In my opinion its the clash. Their music is lyrically genius and the mix of genres they chose to include in their songs was original at the time also Live perfomances by them were passionate.

They've influenced modern bands such as Green Day,Feeder,Arctic Monkeys,Hard-Fi,The Enemy,Rancid and many more.

The Beatles are undoubtedly the band that started the rock craze, with many bands heavily influenced by (e.g. Crowded House). The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin also followed suit with the huge popularity. Basically most bands from the late 60's to early 70's. Particularly the British bands. Split Enz also worth a mention as one of the pioneers of progressive rock in the 70's.

Mister Pink

I have to agree with All-Blacks. The Beatles kicked off then Led Zeppelin came along with a heavier sound and knocked Abbey Road off the number one spot. Then all the rock sub genres came out. It wasn't just rock anymore.

@All-blacks: You listen to prog. I listen to Yes, Theyre great but that's about as far.

The likes of The Beatles and Led Zeppelin are the obvious choices, but personally, I feel The Velvet Underground and Black Flag are both hugely influential but are always overlooked.

@All-blacks: You listen to prog. I listen to Yes, Theyre great but that's about as far.

Yes are alright (have quite a few Hits), however, nothing beats Split Enz man wink.gif . I listen to all sorts, par Kiss-like-genre and that Emo crap.

Oh, we're also forgetting the Sex Pistols. Highly influential in the punk scene indeed.

Edited by All-Blacks

The Beatle's sure did popularize the rock genre, but I feel going back to the rockabilly giant Elvis Presley (rockabilly had a profound influence on the Beatles) and other rock and roll pioneers like Buddy Holly and Bill Haley. More specifically, guys like Venom and Bathory took the punk influence from the late 70s and the heaviness from Sabbath (who, along with Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin, helped meld what would become metal) and Maiden to evolve the metal genre into what eventually would become thrash, and subsequently spawned black, death, grind, (insert extreme metal subgenre).

4XEtraA.jpg

topdogkiller

don't forgt sabbath. Their sludgy slow riffs took a toll in metal

The Beatle's sure did popularize the rock genre, but I feel going back to the rockabilly giant Elvis Presley (rockabilly had a profound influence on the Beatles) and other rock and roll pioneers like Buddy Holly and Bill Haley. More specifically, guys like Venom and Bathory took the punk influence from the late 70s and the heaviness from Sabbath (who, along with Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin, helped meld what would become metal) and Maiden to evolve the metal genre into what eventually would become thrash, and subsequently spawned black, death, grind, (insert extreme metal subgenre).

He just said exactly what I was thinking.

topdogkiller
Modern mainstream rock music is really all Nirvana's fault.

f*ck Nirvana mad.gif , basically get all the credit for the destruction of glam bands. How cxan kurt be an influential guitarist when he sucked.

Scarface187

I was just about to mention Elvis too.

user posted image

The Beatles and Elvis started the rock craze. Other bands like The Rolling Stones, Ac/Dc, and KISS brought rock to what it is known as today. Screw modern rock. New rock bands like MCR aren't really rock. Actually, MCR isn't really music.

Kiss Addict
Modern mainstream rock music is really all Nirvana's fault.

f*ck Nirvana mad.gif , basically get all the credit for the destruction of glam bands. How cxan kurt be an influential guitarist when he sucked.

Kurt Cobain was not considered an influential guitarist he was an influential song writer Kurt Cobain lacked guitar skills but influenced a generation with his lyrics. The thing about the lyrics Kurt wrote were they could be interpreted many different ways and he wrote them that way so as many people could relate to his songs as possible

The Beatles were bigger than Jesus.

So said John Lennon.

Elvis influenced everyone. Including the Beatles, who in turn influenced everyone else.

The Ramones influence punk rock.

Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath influenced metal and hard rock.

Kiss and Alice Cooper influenced glam rock.

But sadly, as vacuumo said, Nirvana influenced most modern rock. I say this because most modern rock is worried about looking angsty and as un-glam as possible. This influences their music because they are more worried about image, than music. So they don't come out with anything original, and if it is, it sucks. Not to say that's what Nirvana was about, they just did it, and everyone followed. I mean look at bands before them. They were rock stars, they lived for rock. Then Nirvana came around and everyone turned out to be just normal people that did rock.

Statutory Ray
But sadly, as vacuumo said, Nirvana influenced most modern rock. I say this because most modern rock is worried about looking angsty and as un-glam as possible. This influences their music because they are more worried about image, than music.

I think he was referring more to the post-grunge power ballad tripe like Nickelback and Creed, and any other band whose lead singer tries to sound as much like Eddie Vedder as possible. If you think about it, the glam bands of the 80s that grunge "killed" were more about image and less about music, and Nirvana and the rest of the first wave of grunge was a revival of real music in the mainstream during the early 90's. As we've all seen, though, that didn't last too long.

There's a lot of Nirvana hate in the topic either way. Tell me, is there any real reason for it other than their popularity, or did you people really love hair metal that much?

or did you people really love hair metal that much?

Yes, we do.

user posted image

Edited by Trows

No dough this post will get questions and and maybe even some fighting.

aside from my random DMB posting, if you are looking for one of the most influential people to start what we know as rock, that would be one man and one man only

ROBERT JOHNSON

Nobody has talked about The Smiths?!?! They're the reason all of those 80s revival bands exist.

Oh and believe or not, Pixies kind of started the whole Nirvana thing. Kurt Cobain said he loved the Pixies. But I love Pixies and I definitely DON'T love Nirvana.

I'd feel much more comfortable giving credit to bands like the Pixies or the Flaming Lips over Nirvana. To me Nirvana boils down to a few catchy guitar riffs, way too many power chords, weak singing, stupid lyrics, and a bunch of people making millions off of a tragedy. If Kurt were alive today, I doubt the radio would ever play anything by them with the exception of the few Nevermind hits. That's just my theory though.

And yeah obviously the Beatles set the stage for modern rock, and I'd give it to them and Zeppelin in a package deal over people like Elvis and Buddy Holly only because those guys didn't break through enough. Like Moon said, they were rockabilly, and that genre still has its feet on the ground as far as "traditional" music from that time went.

The Beatles on the other hand disregarded everything and did what they wanted. I don't like much of their earlier stuff, but after they went to India or started doing some drugs or something, they changed music forever.

Then Led Zeppelin and Sabbath let people know that the Beatles weren't the end of it, and you could take it to the Nth degree. Exploration in prog rock came from greats like Pink Floyd and Yes, while more conservative but still revolutionary artists like Bob Dylan and Neil Young reminded people that you can get things done with music too.

There are a lot of names to drop once you get into specific catagories, but overall I'd go with the Beatles.

Statutory Ray
Oh and believe or not, Pixies kind of started the whole Nirvana thing. Kurt Cobain said he loved the Pixies. But I love Pixies and I definitely DON'T love Nirvana.

Bands like The Melvins, Green River, and Malfunkshun started "the whole Nirvana thing," really. Just because Kurt Cobain loved the Pixies and took influence from them doesn't mean they had any hand in starting the scene Nirvana was a part of.

Vanilla Shake

I'd say The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Clash, and Nirvana since they're my second favorite band.

TC718 / <629 / CF5

NGEh8XV.png

topdogkiller
Oh and believe or not, Pixies kind of started the whole Nirvana thing.  Kurt Cobain said he loved the Pixies.  But I love Pixies and I definitely DON'T love Nirvana.

Bands like The Melvins, Green River, and Malfunkshun started "the whole Nirvana thing," really. Just because Kurt Cobain loved the Pixies and took influence from them doesn't mean they had any hand in starting the scene Nirvana was a part of.

you make sense. The melvins to me are better than nirvana. though they are sort of underrated.

Mister Pink

You said it, man and Eviscero. Bang on. icon14.gif

@All-Blacks: I'll check them out. icon14.gif

Edited by ThePinkFloydSound

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.