Clean GTA

Icester

I would like to create a mod to clean up GTA SA so that my kids can safely play the game.

Nothing complicated - no major editing of TXDs or sound files. I would be satisfied to take the easy route and change the ID references (in the text based files located in \DATA) or changed the main.scm file as necessary. NOTE: None of the missions need to be changed as a 100% complete saved game file could be used or a stripped main.scm.

Here is a list of things I would like to change:

1) Remove all profanity from sound effects and streams. This is pretty easy, but tedious. I have this figured out. Note that this includes CJ's dialog, pedestrians, and radio (advertisements, DJs, and songs as necessary). I could use help here just by identifying the offending sound files (as extracted by SNAAT).

2) Remove all prostitutes. Easy. Just change the ped.ide and pedgrp.ide. Use PedEdit to change animation to "woman" instead of "pro" and change the sexiness stat.

3) Change scantily clad peds to more fully-clothed models. I can't get this to work. I figured just changing fields 2 & 3 in peds.ide would do this, but it caused the game to lock up. Any suggestions here?

4) Remove weapons (leave only the camera and parachute). I edited shopping.ide and removed all weapons from the stores. How do I get rid of all the weapon pickups?

5) Remove certain stores (you know which ones!). Make them non-enterable. This should be similar to #4 - just remove the subscript reference in main.scm

6) Change texture references. Get rid of all sex & drug references on billboards, signs ect.

7) Remove drugs & drug dealers from the game. Using PedEdit I removed the "drugs" from each pedestrian, but dealers still exist. How to get rid of these?

8) Remove weapons from gangs. Also remove weapons from police unless there is a way to disable gun drops when the police are killed. I have no idea where I should do this at. HELP!

9) No more bleeding peds. Its OK if peds can get run over by the cars, since the ambulance will come and restore them, but I would like to remove the blood. Just a .TXD edit?

Any suggestions of help would be much appreciated. GTA SA is a great game and could be great for a younger generation if some of the extras were removed.

Thanks

Suction Testicle Man

Moved to Editing Disc. > Misc.

This is a pretty strange idea. There are other games similar to the GTA format that aren't rated 18 and therefore for a mature audience...

But to add something to this:

1) Tedious indeed, there's no documentation anywhere of sound file contents, so this task would take you longer than just a while. How much spare time have you got? I've forgotten exactly how many sound files are used in SA, but I'm guessing there's enough to keep you occupied for months.

2) Indeed, you have that part figured out.

3) TXD editing isn't hard, at least not any more difficult than your idea for #1 (much easier in fact). Heck, I'd be willing to do this, just export the image out and airbrush over the leg in Photoshop.

4) Weapon pickups will need to be removed via the main.scm - further info on editing the script files can be found in the pinned topics here. This process is in fact very simple. You could also cause the game to crash should a weapon ever be gotten hold of, should you want to, by editing other data files.

5) Again, the pinned topics in Mission Coding will help you find and remove those markers. You can also remove the interiors of these shops from the game by blocking them out in the data files.

6) A lengthy process like #1; it's gonna need you to surf through the game noting down every texture you see, then loading up Tony Wob's Map Editor, locating the model and naming the texture, then removing it from the IMG archive. This will cause the billboard to become white.

7) Dealers spawn in the same way prostitutes do, so can be edited out in the same way you described before. If you want you could be more imaginative and replace the spliffs with ice cream cones and skin the drug dealers as ice cream men.

8) Disabling gun drops would be quite hard. What about switching the policemen's inventory around with batons permanently via the main.scm? This would result in baton pickups that the player could then use, but you haven't addressed whether you want to make it impossible for a player to beat a ped to death with foot and fist.

9) Blood removal is indeed a simple texture edit. It's in models/particle.txd.

I think you'd be hard pressed to remove violence of any kind in a game that is based on it. Have you thought about jacking cars, running people over, crashing planes, etc?

If at first you don't succeed, you fail, and the test will be terminated.

6) A lengthy process like #1; it's gonna need you to surf through the game noting down every texture you see, then loading up Tony Wob's Map Editor, locating the model and naming the texture, then removing it from the IMG archive. This will cause the billboard to become white.

A better alternative is to simply overwrite the image with one of your own choosing. the game is unstable enough, without wondering where certain textures are, and potentially crashing.

8) Disabling gun drops would be quite hard.

Well cop weapons and gun drops are hardcoded (not scripted, sadly), and nigh on impossible to disable. if the guns are commented out in the weapon file, the game will most likely crash when it looks for the cop weapons and pisses itself when it doesn't find them. as long as cops are in the game (also hardcoded btw), they need weapons.

Any suggestions of help would be much appreciated. GTA SA is a great game and could be great for a younger generation if some of the extras were removed.

With respect, all that would be left is a city of mute drones. missions are obviously not going to be played, which essentially just leaves roaming the landscape. If that's all you'll let your kids do, i suggest having them play a different series altogether. GTA was designed from the ground up with crime and violence in mind, and "extras" these features are not. Eating is an extra. Prostitution, a necessity.

In my opinion, you're doing a great job protecting your kids on your own way, but if you want a easier task, just keep watching'em when they play and try to "lock" the folder with a password(forgot how to do that).

Thanks for the tips!

Yes, I realize that there are other games better suited for pony farming, but can you seriously compare Midtown Madness to GTA SA? GTA SA is so much bigger with so much more to do. Yes, I realize that melee combat cannot be removed and you can run over pedestrians, but that is nowhere near as violent as shooting someone or stomping them into a blood pulp. Maybe this could be alleviated by making the peds never die (via a cheat code type of thing). That way they could get knocked down, but they would jump back up again.

SOUND FIXES:

I think an easier fix may be to change all the peds sounds to NULL. At least temporarily, until I find and change the sound files. I am not going to change any of the mission sounds, just the pedestrians & cops (and CJ).

Maybe (hopefully) I can use the last field in the peds.ide file (ifor example, VOICE_GEN_BFORI for ped#1) to find which SFX folder they are stored in. Any suggestions here? I couldn't find any references in the main.scm file for the above example and I haven't located a "map".

STREAMS contain ambience sounds, radio, advertisements etc. These are pretty easy to fix as (compared to SFX) there aren't that many. Also most of the objectionable content is found in the advertisements and DJ dialog. These can also be fixed by just keeping the radio off.

WEAPON FIXES:

Darn! I was really hoping to get rid of weapon drops (when cops/peds are killed), but again, maybe with invincible peds this would become a nonissued. Also, it may be possible to lock CJ to no weapons using GTASACenter - I need to try this.

DRUG DEALERS:

Can someone help me here. I don't know where these guys are located. The prostitutes are easy (haha, no pun intended) - they are located in peds.ide and peds.dat as their own class, but I can't locate the dealers.

STORES/BUILDINGS:

I could use a little help here. Can I just change the reference in main.scm (ie. init_external_script_named_handle ##) to a different number? Or should I take it a step farther and remove the blinking-yellow-traingle-go-inside-a-building thingy (how do I do this also?)

Thanks again for all your help!

dertyjerzian

PS: Icester, no one ever dies in GTA. They just pass out until the ambulance

arrives. Same with the player model, just passes out until he is released

from the hospital. The only people who ever really died were evil people

at the close of the GTA3 series (all games encompassed)

If that's all you'll let your kids do, i suggest having them play a different series altogether. GTA was designed from the ground up with crime and violence in mind, and "extras" these features are not. Eating is an extra. Prostitution, a necessity.

Exactly. And I don't have my own childrens yet, but the kids I see

that have been playing their 22 year old dad's GTA since they were 2

and he was 17 are actually damn smart kids... Less violent than

the ones left to think it's all gumdrops and lolly pops.

I mean, seriously, f*ck Jack Thompson and anyone with him. These games

make kids BETTER people. Not killers, or any other negative things.

Promise you, GTA is more good for your kids than bad. Especially if

you take the time to be a dad and explain what is happening,

why it is happening, and why it is bad, and why you should do this

instead of that, that instead of this, and so on.

@ STM: Damn, son! Can you say "In A Nutshell"? Awesome idea with

the spliffs-2-cones!

Edited by dertyjerzian
Bandy Ban-Ban-Ban. Chugga Chugga Woot Woot.

gosh... man, this game was rated as "Mature", and it has a reason. if your kids are under 17, just don't let him play it. play something else. the rating system is there for a reason.

Also you can let your kids play other GTA type games, like Simpsons: Hit & Run, there is no violence and game is very funny and gameplay is great! - For everyone. About modding GTA - You should ask more experienced modders for help, im sure that there will be someone who can help you! Good luck.

dertyjerzian

Meh, imo, the simpsons is kinda worse. If left unattended to play,

the kid might think it's ok to hit HIS real life buddy Ralph with

his power wheels or go kart, just expecting him to lay down,

shimmy a bit, and get back up. We know what would really happen tounge.gif

Give kids more credit, we tend not to. Attended gameplay, no matter the

rating, can be explained and "this is happeneing because dr knuckles is evil"

certainly can translate to "The combine is basically harvesting people, and

we are playing as Gordon, set to protect the freedoms of the people"

Truly, THAT is what america's rich and mediatastic are afraid of.

Let your kids play everything, do it with them. Music, movies.

Obviously don't subject a fragile mind to pr0n or anything of that

kind of utterly explicit entertainment, but damn sure explain

the world and how it works and right from wrong and fighting for

right and avoiding wrong or dealing with wrong from an early age.

Before the neighbors who are far less concerned than you, m8, and

I applaud you for it Icester, but teach your kids before other

peoples little monsters corrupt them tounge.gif It's your only hope!

Relax, that was for effect wink.gif

Bandy Ban-Ban-Ban. Chugga Chugga Woot Woot.

1stgenLX-Turbo

their is a no weapons mod for gta3 it edited the coding of the scm so that all weapons are set to zero ammo or something. Maybe you can make it for san andreas and just use a map editor to remove the bad buildings or if you cant play the game when u completely remove them isolate them so that they are under the map and impossible to reach. Edit radio stations can be done here: forum link

It plays whatever is in your mp3 folder so you can add old mcdonald and other kiddie songs LoL

Edited by 1stgenLX-Turbo

their is a no weapons mod for gta3 it edited the coding of the scm so that all weapons are set to zero ammo or something. Maybe you can make it for san andreas

The FIRST sentence in this topic:

I would like to create a mod to clean up GTA SA

Obviously it's for SA. pointing out it can be converted to SA was redundant. "maybe you can convert the code from this gta3 mod" would have worked better.

1stgenLX-Turbo

Sorrrry captain grammer and I think it was implied that it was not ment for sa and made for gta3 hense you would have to convert it

Edited by 1stgenLX-Turbo

• 2 weeks later...

I have finished v0.1 of Clean GTA SA. It is posted on GTAGarage. Get it here: http://www.gtagarage.com/mods/show.php?id=3071

(Note: It might be another day or so -- it is still waiting for approval)

Here is the README.txt

Clean GTA SA v0.1

=================

What it is:

Clean GTA_SA most of the PG+ rated content from GTA San Andreas,

removes missions, and makes the San Adreas world fully explorable

(no more city restrictions).

In short, the goal of Clean GTA SA is to make GTA SA safe for

children so that children can have a fun time driving the cars

and exploring such a wonderfully, fully interactive virtual

world.

Usage:

This is VERY beta so requires a bit of manual intervention

(but it is not difficult at all).

BE SURE TO BACKUP THE FOLLOWING:

\data\*.*

\data\script\*.*

\models\particle.txd

\audio\SFX\SPC_PA

\audio\SFX\SPC_GA

\audio\SFX\PAIN_A

1) Copy the following folders to your GTA SA installation folder,

overwriting the original files:

\data

\models

2) Edit Remove_Speech.bat

a) Change the 5th and 6th lines to reflect your setup.

set GTA_SA_PATH=D:\games\GTA_SA\GTA_SA

set TEMP_PATH=D:\temp

NOTE: If your paths contain spaces, be sure to use quotation

marks. For example:

set TEMP_PATH="D:\path with spaces\mypath"

b) Run it. Be prepared to take a long coffee break. It will

take about 20 minutes to rebuilt the audio files.

Version History:

0.1 : Initial release

Changes:

models\particle.txd : No more blood pools on the ground.

data\melee.dat : Combat damage set to 0

data\peds.ide : Pedestrians have been changed to no drugs,

no prostitutes, and scantily clad women

changed to better-dressed women.

data\PEDSTATS.DAT : Sexiness turned down on pedestrians

data\popcycle.dat : Population cycles changed so that drug

dealers no longer exist

data\shopping.dat : Weapons no longer sold in the stores.

data\weapon.dat : Weapon damages set to 0

data\script\main.scm : Stripped main script (ie. no missions).

These next two are changed using a batch file script and the

SAAT (San Adreas Audio Toolkit) v1.10 available at

http://pdescobar.home.comcast.net/gta/saat/.

audio\PAIN_A : All of CJ's pain explamations no longer

contain profanity.

audio\SPC_PA : CJ is now silent.

audio\SPC_GA : Pedestrians are silent.

audio\SPC_EA : Emergency responses (helicopter, EMT,

FBI, Army, etc) are now silent.

Although this is a pretty minor mod, it makes a huge difference.

No more prostitutes or drug dealers roaming the streets. There

are very few or no gangs also so the people seem more "normal".

To do:

- Check the enterable buildings and make sure the strip clubs and

sex store are gone. I would like to change these to the dance

game via main.scm. Any help would be much appreciated.

- Change inappropriate billboard and advertisement textures.

- Instead of removing voices, edit or swap files to remove

profanity. (Note: There are over 35,000 files that must be

examined, so this is a monumental effort!!)

This has been done for PAIN_A and I have checked out the first 3

banks of SPC_PA, but there are still 17 banks of CJ's sounds and

over 200 banks of general actors sounds, and 46 banks of

emergency sounds.

Edited by Icester

• 2 weeks later...

ok icester. just a question. why in hell would you make it so you can play to 100%, but not have weapons in the game. you cant play some missions without weapons. and what about the helicopter, it shoots you. and you COULD technically get rid of all that, but after u ripped about more than 75% of the games fun out of it, your not left with much. all you can do is run around and punch people, get a police rating, drive cars around to nowhere, and never get finished with the game. i see your point of view, but ur plan kills most of the fun in the game. either let them play it, or dont. its very simple

PM me. i will tell you how to get rid of unwanted buldings enterances, get rid of police at all or/and any wanted level or whatever effect you want to achieve. would you like to get rid of any possibility to use any form of hand combat and so on?

EDIT: do not forget there are cheats to jump around some of your fixes, but there is a cure for that as well.

Edited by PLPynton

Why are you doing this? The game is rated M, 18 etc. for a reason. Try buying them a game like Transformers The Game ( the one thats just been released ). Transformers is a great game ( IMO not as good as SA... but still good ) with free- roaming places to explore. Plus its no where near as violent as San Andreas. SO MANY people try this because of their kids.. it wont work out. The simplest and most logical thing to do is not let them play San Andreas if you are that worried about violence... and if they moan and play up then just tell them.. tough luck, wait until youre old enough!

How can you do such a thing to such a god-like game. Blasthempy!!!! Worship it as it is! Go rahkstar2.gif !

It is a good game for just driving about on though. whatsthat.gif Compared to Midtown Madness (ahhh memories biggrin.gif ) it is a massive world to explore.

My little sisters always want to play it but once my parents saw VC no GTA games were acepted (even for me for a while). wink.gif