Beckham

gizmo

Whats the big deal? Is he the MJ of soccer or something...?

user posted image

$$H New York Crew

Attorney General

In a sense...yes. Certainly when I say that, I mean from a potential marketability standpoint. He is as commercially viable, worldwide, as anyone else in the sports world.

The soccer guys can assess his play on the field far better than I could, but my opinion is that he is now one of the top-notch players in the MLS...which isn't saying all that much. But he has a wealth of big game experience on an international level, not to mention a wicked free kick. He should be a key asset to LA.

pAafese.gif

tony da boss

If you're talking about all of the millions of commercials about him lately, ESPN is doing all of that advertising on Beckham because they want to try to get soccer popular in the U.S. They show the most MLS games, so if soccer gets popular, then they're ratings go up when they show MLS games. And Beckham is past his prime anyway. I heard last night was supposed to be his premier and he only played 10 minutes? That must've sucked for all the people who bought tickets just to see him.

JoeyLeone25
If you're talking about all of the millions of commercials about him lately, ESPN is doing all of that advertising on Beckham because they want to try to get soccer popular in the U.S. They show the most MLS games, so if soccer gets popular, then they're ratings go up when they show MLS games. And Beckham is past his prime anyway. I heard last night was supposed to be his premier and he only played 10 minutes? That must've sucked for all the people who bought tickets just to see him.

It's impossible (well unless they have a high threshold for pain) to play the full 90 minutes of any match when your injured and not fully match fit. wink.gif

David Beckham played for Manchester United in England for around ten years, he was widely regarded at the turn of the millennium to be one of the greatest football players in the world at that time, which can be seen by the amount of times he has played for England and the amount of goals he scored/assists he provided.

Around 2003/2004 (I forget), he moved to Real Madrid where he was still playing at the top of his game and became even more well-known due to Madrid's diverse fan-base around the world. And now he has signed a £120 million, 5yr deal with LA Galaxy.

Some critics believe Beckham is 'past it', however others believe this is down to the lack of practise and play and Madrid. Recently Beckham showed in his first international match for England vs Estonia that he still 'had it' as he played two superb balls to set-up two goals fro England, and I personally believe he's still got another year or two, at international level left in him, however the MLS and Galaxy is a MASSIVE backward step for him, as the level of play in the MLS is a lot lower than that of Madrid (La Liga) or United (Premiership).

Not bad, wage wise though...

I hate comparing him to Michael Jordan because MJ was far and away the best basketball player in the world when he played, maybe the best basketball player ever. Beckham is a good soccer player, but he's never been close to being the best in the world. I have always regarded him as way overrated due to his celebrity status, and I think all the attention he is receiving is ridiculous (a "Beckham cam" for the game yesterday?). I think he can help MLS, but they don't need to treat him like Jesus.

I hate comparing him to Michael Jordan because MJ was far and away the best basketball player in the world when he played, maybe the best basketball player ever. Beckham is a good soccer player, but he's never been close to being the best in the world. I have always regarded him as way overrated due to his celebrity status, and I think all the attention he is receiving is ridiculous (a "Beckham cam" for the game yesterday?). I think he can help MLS, but they don't need to treat him like Jesus.

Yeah that's what I was wondering. I was watching ESPN and all the reporters were all around him and I was just like....wow. Is he really that good?

$250 million for 5 years I think he's getting....now that aint bad. Haha! That's $1,000,000 a week...

But, if he is past his prime and the MLS isn't such a good league then he should fit in right...? I dunno, I don't really care about soccer that's why I was asking all this...they're treating him like he's the second coming.

user posted image

$$H New York Crew

IF la dont win then Beckham will get blamed even if he is scoring free kicks and setting up chances its up to the strikers to score not just him. The thing is americans dont like football because it isnt a high scoring game but its a bit like golf you know you see a great shot then you like nervous.gif sh*t he is good

Football, it's called Football. - Dome Piece

Hello, ello. Same thing, just say it in a different way.

user posted image

$$H New York Crew

Beckham made a mistake in coming to America. No one cares about soccer. Beckham will do nothing to change that either.

Beckham made a mistake in coming to America. No one cares about soccer. Beckham will do nothing to change that either.

No Beckham made the choice of family and the future in his desions because it is knowen to an extent that his wife kids and himself would rather much be in L.A. Than spain or England and his future after football is goint to be acting IMO dont think he will do that well

just another thug

The MLS is so god awful that Beckham could easily be the best player in the league.

user posted image

The MLS is not great, but I wouldn't call it god awful, especially now with some of the players coming in like Beckham, Angel, Blanco, etc. Plus, a lot of the top players in the league are good enough to play in Europe. For example, I remember watching DaMarcus Beasley and Carlos Bocanegra play for my hometown Chicago Fire a couple years ago, and this past year both of them played well in the English Premier League.

And interestingly, when we call it soccer, we are actually calling it football, since "soccer" is an abbreviated term for association football, which was used to differentiate the sport from rugby football. Just felt like sharing turn.gif

user posted image

American Soccer? - Dome Piece

I believe is the biggest growing sport in America.

Its statements like these that will stop football taking off in America. Give the guy a chance, yes hes getting paid alot of money but hes a genuine person, hes not just about the money.

I think what they are trying to do with football in the states is excellent. I really hope it comes good, there is so much talent in the states, we have seen that with some of the Americans playing in the UK, all who have been superb!

x3FWE.png

CrocodileDundee

Beckham is a good soccer player, but he's never been close to being the best in the world

I have to Disagree there, He was a Very good player and Possibly one of the Best Player's in the World a Few years ago, In my Opppinion. So I think "never been close to being the best in the world" is very harsch.

user posted image

Football is mainly played by 8-15 year olds in America if more players like Beckham join then the kids will start going to games as well as playing so slowly it is becoming a major sport in america.

he is famous for his signature banana kick he does. i have rant so if you dont want to hear me rant then skip my post smile.gif

i was mad at all the coverage during the Chelsea Vs. LA game every five minutes they would show the beckham cam i mean WTF the guy gets his own camera during the game, and then onetime they should the beckham cam and he was scratching his nuts! happy.gif then beckham only played for like 10 minutes after all the hype he comes out kicks the ball, gets tripped, does a corner kick game over LA loses, beckham goes back home to 11 million dollar mansion

Beckham is a good soccer player, but he's never been close to being the best in the world

I have to Disagree there, He was a Very good player and Possibly one of the Best Player's in the World a Few years ago, In my Opppinion. So I think "never been close to being the best in the world" is very harsch.

Of course, saying who is the best is objective, and that was my opinion that he was never the best in the world. But I find it hard to believe that anyone could say he was ever even close to overtaking Zidane (I also had many other players rated above Becks at various times, but I'll just use Zizou as the benchmark)

Attorney General

Ronaldo too, right? I heard that a few years down the line, he may consider playing in the MLS towards the twilight of his career. icon14.gif It's just not as common in the US to see top-notch guys. Really...I don't care if these guys are over the hill...I'll probably go to see Beckham at least once and the same goes for Ronaldo if he ever comes to the States.

pAafese.gif

he is famous for his signature banana kick he does.

Hahahaha, you yanks. - Dome Piece

user posted image

If that's what you want to call it....nobody will know what you're talking about though..

Ronaldino or however you spell his name, he's the truth. I seen his commercials and ads, he's better than the white dude..

user posted image

$$H New York Crew

user posted image

I seriously, give you permission to call it that, as an online ambassador to the United States of America.

I hate how they are comparing this to when Gretzky came to LA.

Ronaldino or however you spell his name, he's the truth. I seen his commercials and ads, he's better than the white dude..

Hahaha, stop it. You're killing me. lol.gif - Dome Piece

Gretzky is way cooler than Beckham will ever be.

Gretzky is way cooler than Beckham will ever be.

Cause Gretzky is a real man playing a real AMERICAN sport!

GO AMERICA!

Anyway, Beckham is a nice exciting spot in MLS but give a year and, poof, he'll vanish like a fart in the wind. American's don't care enough about soccer because it's boring an uneventful...

"Oh, he's down field, looks like he's going to score and, OH, that guy fell down and there's a penalty. Now play goes the other way, and he's down field, looks like he's going to score and, OH, that other guy fell down and there's a penalty. Now play goes the other way again...."

And so on until I punch myself in the dick for watching soccer.

I think that's the draw of soccer. The suspense of will they or will they not score. I mean it's the same as hockey, but hockey is faster and less goals are scored. I really find sports like basketball boring because of the fact they scoring is so constant that it's not really all that exciting.

Statutory Ray

American's don't care enough about soccer because it's boring an uneventful...

That's why the country can't go for more than a decade without starting or participating in a war. I bet if we didn't have air conditioned humvees and helicopters to ride around and get blown up in, we wouldn't find war too entertaining either.

Honestly, most Americans don't like soccer because all of the best teams and players aren't from America. You can't become the best at soccer by being the biggest, tallest, or fastest. It actually takes skill and is much more multi-dimensioned than any other sport, especially the ones popular in America.

@Runey.: Hockey is about as old as modern civilization itself. If you really had to give somebody credit, it'd be the English, but there were people playing long before that. Basketball, however, is technically a Canadian sport, although it was only invented by a Canadian in America.

Edited by Statutory Ray

I don't in the slightest agree with this "best footballer in the world" title. Every different position requires different attributes.

I mean, I'd rank Liverpools Riise as one of the worlds best left-backs. Any Yanks ever heard of him? Probably not. Best player in the Liverpool team - nope. But great at what he does.

Is, or was Beckham the greatest midfielder in the world - no. But for his freekicks and the accuracy of his long range passes there were, and perhaps are none better. Don't expect him to come to the US and score a hatful of goals. He's not consistent at scoring freekicks, nor does he have the speed to beat players. He's someone who'll put in crosses/corners and if there's a suitable target-man he'll get loads of assists.

@ Juvenile - Again, different type of player. Tricks, skills, change of pace. Ronaldinho and Ronaldo (Man Utds) are almost certainly the best. Much more fun to watch, but their crossing and long range passing won't be up to Becks standard. They're wingers, not what I'd call midfielders like Becks.

--- AMF ---

user posted image

-= A joke is a very serious thing - Winston Churchill =-

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.