Hard Drive Problems?

Skyline_Mad

Skyline_Mad

Well it all seemed to start happening about a week ago, i had a few friends over and was playing Stalker i think, and my brother starts being an idiot and showing off in front of my friends etc... after a few minutes he gets a little too annoying and i try to sort him out, he got vicious pushed me around a bit, once he shoved me into my room onto my chair (knocking it over) and friends which really pissed me off.

Anyway after we both settled down i returned to my room and find my PC with a BSOD, i think it was a Physical memory dump. Apparently when my bro pushed me i knocked the chair into the computer, which is what caused it to die.

Everything seemed alright after i restarted, but this only lasted a day.

Everynow and then i would notice something turning off, shortly followed by the PC restarting itself, sometimes it wouldn't pick up the HDD at all and show this weird message that was ony a few worlds long but was in a weird language, i have also seen at least one more BSOD.

I didn't know what it was at first untill it happened again, before it shut itself down (usulay i would hear something stop, then computer would slow down and then after a few seconds would reset), i touched the hdd and noticed it wasn't doing anything (even when it's idle you can still feel it working), when the PC reset the hdd started up again.

Another problem i had was today when i was playing SA, not doing much just aimlesly driving around listening to music, then all of a sudden it freezes for a few seconds and then freezes every second after that, including on the desktop, it wouldn't stop doing this and made doing simply things hard, it even stopped me from accessing the start menu, i had to reset, after that it was ok for a while, then did the hdd shutting off thing again while i was checking my emails.

I know that you can damage Hard drives by banging them but i don't know how hard my chair hit the computer, must have been pretty hard for it to do that though, i hope its not damaged, only recently bought it, and cant be bothered to send it back to get repaired as i'm in the middle if starting fresh (been about 6 months since i've had a safe computer, with no problems), only just got over serious problems with viruses n spyware.

I can't see the problem being with something other than the HDD, but i may be wrong, and it would be great if anyone has any idea whats wrong with it, although it would be a pain i want it to be a fault in the HDD so i can get a replacement out of my brothers money, its a 250GB ata, so i could make him pay for a 300GB Sata lol (only just got a sata compatible mother board so don't have a sata HDD yet), he will never know as he doesn't know anything about computers.

I'm about 99% sure it the hard drive. How old is it? Does it still have a warranty?

If I were you I would get the data of it and have it replaced.

It might sound weird I'll post a link if I find it ,but when my hard drive went bad I put it in the freezer for a couple hours and it worked for about a 1/2 hour after that, enough time to get the essential data off.

I would definately get it replaced though.

Edit: Found the link.

http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/01/f...cover-data.html

It does sound like a HDD failure, it's probably knocked the head off the stirrup a little, although I would expand on things a little more than Mr Primer said. I would get a new HDD, or get your 'mate' to pay for one, and then (if possible) reninstall Windows on the new HDD, thus making it your Primary Drive (Master) and then once you've got Windows installed, turn off the beast and plug in your knackered HDD as your Slave drive, on the subject of Slaves, get that mate of yours to stand over you with a palm leaf to keep you cool while you do it.

This way ensures that you will have a good working drive with an OS on it that won't be liabel to crashing like the old knackered drive, this is when you can copy over the valuable information and/or files that you want recovered, and if that knackered drive temporarily fails then it won't cause the system to crash as your OS is on the shiney new HDD, you'll just have to be patient with it while you try and retrieve all the information you can off it, and it might take several hours to do so, but you are at that stage where you don't need to rush it.

The only down side of this way is that you'll have to spend the time re-installing programs and updates, but you'd have to do that anyway, but the upside is, is that you can safely copy over all that pron without some tech guy at a shop looking at them.

wZVJHXg.png

Skyline_Mad

Thanks for the help guys smile.gif, i thought it might have been the HDD.

As i've said in previous post i've ony just reformated this HDD, but i've spent hours downloading about 10 games on steam, and don't want to do it all over again lol, i think i've only got about a DVDs worth of stuff i need to backup, so i'l do that tomoro and then order a new HDD.

As i said in the first post i'm in the middle of starting fresh, i've still got a 160gb HDD thats full of stuff i need to backup (including over 20gb of music, 1000s of pictures and videos and a load of other stuff), and full of spyware and other problems, but i dont want to risk doing it until my current HDD is safe and backed up just incase the problems spread. I think i've got something thats currupting files and folders, i've waited ages to have a clean HDD to back all the stuff up, and now my brother messes everything up, i think i'm gonna make his life a living hell until its all sorted lol.

Refering to the problem i recently asked about to do with my sound card:

At least now i have a reason to reformat (with new drive) and can finaly get my sound card working again (i just hope i remember to disable the onboard one first or i'l have to start again).

I'l let you know how it goes, and if i get anymore problems

As i said in the first post i'm in the middle of starting fresh, i've still got a 160gb HDD thats full of stuff i need to backup (including over 20gb of music, 1000s of pictures and videos and a load of other stuff), and full of spyware and other problems, but i dont want to risk doing it until my current HDD is safe and backed up just incase the problems spread. I think i've got something thats currupting files and folders, i've waited ages to have a clean HDD to back all the stuff up, and now my brother messes everything up, i think i'm gonna make his life a living hell until its all sorted lol.

Well once you've got the new Hard Drive in place, just make sure you have an arsenal of spyware and virus checkers at the ready and then make that old drive a slave drive and then before you even click on anything in your new drive, virus/spy scan it to the max.

wZVJHXg.png

_-playero-_

Well once you've got the new Hard Drive in place, just make sure you have an arsenal of spyware and virus checkers at the ready and then make that old drive a slave drive and then before you even click on anything in your new drive, virus/spy scan it to the max.

I would first move data to the new drive, and check it from there. Running virus check in the failing drive will reduce your chances of recovering your data.

But you run a greater risk of transferring infected data to a new drive that you don't want infected, by doing the other way you are in effect 'Quarrantining' the old drive.

wZVJHXg.png

Skyline_Mad

I got the BSOD again a few miutes ago, i wrote down any thing i though may be helpful in working out the problem:

"A Problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

If this is the first time..........

Technical Info

*** STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x805461F0, 0xB2000000, 0x00070F0F)

Beginning dump of physical memory."

Like i said it's only a dvds worth of stuff i need to backup on this drive, so when thats done i don't need to worry about loosing anything if it fails completely.

But now i need to get the money for a new drive, i doubt my brother would pay for it, hes never paid for anything hes broken, but he does have a sort of debt list of money he owes my parents, i don't think he will notice if i add the money to that lol (i think he owes about £240, he may not notice another £50 as he doesn't really check the list much).

I might get a SATA HDD, but it would be the first one i've had, is there any difference to an IDE HDD in how its set up (except connections of course)?

and will it work ok with the master a SATA and slave(s) IDE?

Also i may need a new case, with the new GFX card in there, theres hardly any room for HDDs.

Skyline_Mad

Damn, my HDD has failed completey now, doesn't pick it up, and i was literealy minutes away from backing it up.

I put in another faulty HDD (still works but gets really slow sometimes) and got into windows and it still doesn't pick it up, looks like i may have to think about that freezing the HDD thing if i still can't get in later tonite.

Skyline_Mad

Well i found out why it doesn't pick it up, i didn't have the jumper in the right place lol, it is now, and was able to get about 3 or 4 hours out of it before it failed again, backed everything up though which i did in the first hour.

Tomoro i'm gonna order a new SATA HDD, probably not that big, maybe a 160gb, then i'l send the damaged one back to be looked at, if they find its been damaged and dont give a refund or replacement, i'l force my rother to pay for a new one (maybe a 400gb SATA lol).

I think those hard drives would then last me at least 2 or 3 years before i run out of space or one stops working. (will have about 720gb, 1x400gb SATA, 1x 160gb SATA , 1x160 IDE)

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.