3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Official Electronic Music Topic

Blind Joe Death
Mister Pink
Message added by Mister Pink

Can we make some attempt to post more than just the track, please This forum is turning in to a bunch of threads with no discussion whatsoever. If you want to just post music and not contribute anything else, use the What Are You Listening to Now? thread. But threads for sub-genres, feel free to post videos but post videos with a sentence or two. Why are you posting it? Do you think someone is going to like it? If so, why? 

This has been in heavy rotation for the past year or two. Love those fat synths.

• Like 2
Mister Pink

Absolute banger.. had the pleasure of seeing Leftfield live two times! Actually 10 years ago, this year. One of the best grooves! I don't know what it is..it's a genre bender;  Ambient House, with Dub and Reggae flavours with Earl Sixteen on vocals. Love it! 

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 1
On 10/29/2020 at 10:17 PM, -7- said:

New song by The Avalanches and I'm looking forward to the new album.

I keep consistently forgetting they have an album out in December. I first heard about their follow up plans not too longer after Wildflower but assumed it would be lost to time, simply because it took so long in between releases in the first place. I feared it would be like My Bloody Valentine all over again, who have remained quiet ever since their MBV album back in 2013. Hopefully they don't get cold feet and this actually comes out, because whilst I enjoyed Wildflower it didn't scratch the itch completely.

DJ Metatron quietly released a new album last month called Loops Of Infinity and I'm enjoying it a fair bit. It's very disjointed and doesn't really lend itself well to an album format - many of the tracks are formless untitled tracks that are what the title suggests - loops. There are some "real" songs on there (for want of a better term) but I quite like how rough and unfinished it sounds for some reason. It's like a leaked demo, and for some reason, it's fetching ridiculous prices on Discogs due to it selling out everywhere that cared to stock it. I didn't know there was such a demand for Metatron's work. I had forgotten about him altogether since his 2 The Sky EP which was rather good. I've just gone to look up when it came out and I was surprised to see it was released in 2016. I assumed it was a lot earlier than that.

Incidentally, the entire album is on YouTube, but it's a bit lengthy at 90 minutes so here's one of the more robust and "proper" tracks, if you want to call it that.

• 3 weeks later...
Mister Pink

Been mildly obsessing over Oneothix Point Never. Introduced to him through two Safdie brothers films; Good Time, and Uncut Gems. He makes magical music. 

New release..

• 1 month later...

Electronic artist Four Tet quietly released his latest studio album Parallel on December 25th, which I assume is a cumulation of sorts to his near constant livestream since October. I've always been a bit on the fence with his work, following this pattern of liking an album, not liking an album, liking an album and so on. With Parallel, he makes the bold choice of having an opening track that's over 20 minutes in length. Nothing else on the album comes close to that length, and it isn't all that consistent to me. It makes me wonder if it's more of a companion piece. If so, I feel like things would have been better if he'd released that first track on its own as part of an EP or something. The rest of the album is pretty good to be honest. It doesn't exactly tread new ground, but for those (like me) that are fans of Pink or a more electronic influenced Rounds, you'll like it I reckon.

If you'd have told me ten years ago that Nine Inch Nails would be providing the soundtrack to a Disney Pixar movie, I would have chalked it up to wishful thinking. The two don't exactly get brought up in the same breath very often.

In other news, Burial continues to tease his fans between long periods of absence. Last year he released two singles with The Bug and despite rumours swirling about an imminent third album, we instead get an admittedly pretty single featuring previous collaborators Four Tet and Thom Yorke. At this point they're only a couple of songs away from a full length LP. The running joke is usually that Burial is too busy playing Dark Souls 3 to make music. Surely he must be nearly finished now? I can't think of a better climate in which to release that trademark dubstep sound.

• 1 month later...
Rhoda

I saw this morning that pioneering music producer SOPHIE had died in what is being described so far as "an accident". It's very unexpected, considering there was a buzz about what would follow her debut album from back in 2018, which had already begun to move away from the frantic PC hyperpop movement into something organic and experimental. I must say I'm a fan of her heavier and more abrasive tracks such as this one. A warning though, this video contains flashing lights and imagery.

• Like 2
-7-

Something for today's playlist. I haven't listened to Max Graef in a while.

Testarossa

incredibly heartbreaking to hear that SOPHIE has passed away. such an influential figure in the LGBT community and one of the most talented and groundbreaking producers of recent times.

rest in peace.

Edited by Testarossa
typo
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Testarossa

been listening to this since I finally got it working on my Spotify, it's a 15 minute Madeon EP that was discovered a few months back, as a result of an ARG that was ongoing for little over a year, and was allegedly made in one day after "not feeling anything" from music. it's a pretty interesting listen, reminds me a lot of Gesaffelstein's newer stuff.

https://www.reddit.com/r/madeon/comments/ikbinl/a_full_detailed_explanation_on_the_arg_and_how_we/

-7-

Some Future Sound Of London. Andrew was a true pioneer of dance music and a tremendous producer.

Rhoda

Despite being a pretty big fan of Luke Vibert, one of his projects from last year flew under my radar and I'm kicking myself. Released under his Wagon Christ alias, Recepticon is probably some of the best stuff I've heard from him in years. I absent-mindedly played some in the car on the way to work and I wound up circling the street a few times just so I could finish the track. I listened further when I got home and couldn't believe how good it was. If you're at all familiar with his work or any of his contemporaries, you will love it.

• Like 1
-7-

One of the groups that I had forgotten a bit, I have a lot of good memories.

• 2 weeks later...
Mister Pink
On 2/8/2021 at 10:51 PM, Rhoda said:

I listened further when I got home and couldn't believe how good it was. If you're at all familiar with his work or any of his contemporaries, you will love it.

Haven't really listened Vibert in a long time. Seen him live once. Does gigs that are cost about 3 pints both times I've seem him advertised here, so it's great value. Although there isn't much a show, just him on a laptop, which isn't bad either, just not a full audio-visual experience, if that's what people might expect given what his friends like to do 😛  I'll give the new WC album a listen. 

Just watched this. I love stories behind records and Sister Bliss eloquently tells the story behind Faithless and how their name came about too and most importantly how she came up with that whopper riff!

Edited by Mister Pink
-7-

Such a strong vibe here, nice. It never gets old.

Edited by -7-