1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Official Electronic Music Topic

Blind Joe Death
Mister Pink
Message added by Mister Pink

Can we make some attempt to post more than just the track, please This forum is turning in to a bunch of threads with no discussion whatsoever. If you want to just post music and not contribute anything else, use the What Are You Listening to Now? thread. But threads for sub-genres, feel free to post videos but post videos with a sentence or two. Why are you posting it? Do you think someone is going to like it? If so, why? 

• 2 weeks later...

Been discovering Underworld. I mean, I always knew a couple of tracks like Rez, Born Slippy and King of Snake. But never gave them a proper listen and they're amazing. I get it now. 

Edit: I realized I know Push too. Can't remember where I know it from! it's great! Think it was a single in the UK. 

Edited by Mister Pink

This is just incredible. Been dipping in to Underworld a lot recently. Heard this for the first time today. It's just... Makes me want to be in a forest rave, feeling the bass thumping through my chest, smelling the pine, seeing strobe lights. Good times. I miss forest raves. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The electronic duo Autechre have announced a new album Signs due for release in October, and some fans will be surprised to learn it's an hour long. I say this because their last two major releases (Elseq and the NTS Radio sessions) were an eye watering four hours and eight hours respectively. You'd think the abundance of material would be a good thing, but honestly I found both fairly exhausting. I don't think I've ever listened to either in full. Don't get me wrong, there's some good music to be found here but it's a matter of taste, and things can get fairly abrasive, leading you to skip along before you find something you like. I enjoyed what I heard, but I don't like the idea of carefully picking through something so massive just in case there's something really good I'm going to miss. It's like when people recommend TV shows but say "the first two series are slow, but it's really good in series 3, you'll see".

There are no snippets as of yet, but I'm optimistic that we'll hear a slightly new direction. Each couple of albums have gone through cycles of development, showcasing different elements and having a constantly evolving sound. Just compare these two tracks - the first is from their 1995 album Tri Repetae and the second is from their 2001 album Confield. They're worlds apart.

• Like 1

Just 

4 hours ago, Rhoda said:

there's some good music to be found here but it's a matter of taste, and things can get fairly abrasive

I have a mate that loves Autechre. I have only listened to one album, Incunabula and I really like it. Someone just have it to me on CD a few years back. But I find them so hit and miss. I can't break through from liking them to loving them. I can't describe it. I think I need to just revisit them and give another album a listen. I find their music sometimes to be a little too cold and dissonant compared to say, the warmness found in Boards of Canada. But I'm listening to Amber now to help me understand more the point I'm trying to make and I'm really enjoying it, lol. 

On 9/12/2020 at 10:53 PM, Mister Pink said:

I find their music sometimes to be a little too cold and dissonant compared to say, the warmness found in Boards of Canada.

That's exactly it. I've always considered the two groups polar opposites of the same globe. Boards Of Canada invoke such powerful nostalgia for me, places and times I'm not sure I've really experienced, but I think a lot about being a kid and being a teenager when I hear them. With Autechre, I'm thrust into a cold and relentless atmosphere that is so sterile and calculated you'd assume it was completely devoid of any human involvement whatsoever. When I listen to their music, I feel like I've been eaten alive by a fluorescent bulb, digested slowly and eventually leak out of the closest orifice as inert gas. It's great.

Anyway, here's a song by a trio called Oval, who I think combines the styles of both groups fairly well.

• Like 1

Something chill I was listening this morning, cool track.

I didn't find too much information about it but I like their EP 'Anaconda', I've been following Ovnimoon records for a year and this new single pop-up in my feed yesterday.

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2020 at 7:40 PM, -7- said:

I've listening more 90s trance music, Genlog had good stuff, probably 'Apollo 4' is my favorite track of them.

you may enjoy this

and also maybe this

• Like 1

This track was often accredited to Aphex Twin on P2P networks like Napster and Limewire as Outside Kickass Violin Solo. Always knew the title of the track wasn't Richard D. James like at all. I can hardly imagine James ever even using the word Kickass unironically. 

Interestingly enough, the same effect on that drum break during the intro reminded me immediately of this song from his last album Syro.

I'll agree though - whilst Richard isn't above sampling and utilising classical music, the strings sound more like something Venetian Snares would feature. It's very reminiscent of the work he was doing on albums like My Downfall and Rossz Csillag Alatt Született, but slightly more restrained. Venetian Snares lets the often chaotic nature of classical music play wonderfully with some crisp, clean and downright satisfying breakbeats. Going further, there's also the work of Igorrr who incorporates a more Eastern folk music tinge to his material.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Rhoda said:

Interestingly enough, the same effect on that drum break during the intro reminded me immediately of this song from his last album Syro.

Yeah me too, I think it's re-timing or time-stretching the drums by slowing them down but keeping the to the same/original BPM. - I always associate with UK electronic music and Jungle/D&B sound. It's nice. 

13 hours ago, Rhoda said:

Venetian Snares lets the often chaotic nature of classical music play wonderfully with some crisp, clean and downright satisfying breakbeats. Going further, there's also the work of Igorrr who incorporates a more Eastern folk music tinge to his material.

Never much listened VS. It's almost too mental or chaotic for me. It's fascinating. I love that it exists and it's marvel just hard to listen for me as someone who leans on more melodic/ambient/acid and soundscapey styles of even Richard D. James. 

Listening to the track you linked.. he does have these fantastic moments.. especially 2mins in and he does that really nice Amen break in a Jungle/Drill N' Bass style. I'll revisit him because I'm revisting some artists that didn't click originally and finding myself enjoying them like Autechre.