2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Blind Joe Death

Official Electronic Music Topic

Mister Pinkerton

I seen Kormac and his big band play live a couple of NYE's ago. Amazing gig. Didn't really know his stuff before, just bits and bobs. I really should pick up some of his stuff.

Edited by Mister Pink

Neptune Homme

Any fans of Four Tet here? His new album is due any day now (can't remember when exactly) and I'm quietly optimistic. I wasn't too fond of his last release Morning/Evening at first but it did grow on me. I think he suits the longer tracks that have time and room to develop. Here's one of the songs known to be on his upcoming album, New Energy.

EmSixTeen

Any fans of Four Tet here? His new album is due any day now (can't remember when exactly) and I'm quietly optimistic. I wasn't too fond of his last release Morning/Evening at first but it did grow on me. I think he suits the longer tracks that have time and room to develop. Here's one of the songs known to be on his upcoming album, New Energy.

JbGom_FLTCU

I love Four Tet, but not on the front foot searching for music any more.. Just happened to catch him posting some obscure Spotify track under random artist names - didn't realise an album was on the way!

Every time this plays after not hearing it for a while, I can't get enough of it.

Edited by EmSixTeen

Homemade Dynamite

One of my favorite tracks from Forza Horizon 3.

Mister Pinkerton

Neptune Homme

I have always got time for Boards Of Canada... always. I believe they'll release an album before the year is out.

A few years ago I found out that DJ Hi-Tek (producer and beat wrangler behind a lot of Die Antwoord's music) releases solo music under the alias of Seven Ark. I snapped up his album Noise Of The New some time back and it's a great listen, very atmospheric and if you weren't aware prior you'd probably have trouble believing he has anything to do with Die Antwoord at all.

Mister Pinkerton

I hope so! I've become kind of obsessed with all their work over the last few years.

Didn't know about Seven Ark. That's really nice actually. Cheers for putting me on to him.

Been listening to a bit of Plaid this week. This is a nice track..

Edited by Mister Pink

Neptune Homme

Plaid's an artist I haven't really listened to all that much. I think I've spent so long in my Boards Of Canada bubble that I've completely overlooked him. I do have some tracks knocking about though, mostly from compilations. Oddly, I seem to enjoy his remix treatments more than his original output. This track is from that massive vinyl boxset Warp Records released a few years ago.

Mister Pinkerton

I get you with the Boards bubble. I love BoC that when I try find something similar, I'm just thinking "it's not BoC" though :p If that makes sense. Autechre is another. My old buddy's two favourite artists are BoC and Autechre but found Autechre a little harder to get in to. Although I do enjoy Incunabula. I can like them but can't seem to love them. Maybe I should try again. I did enjoy that remix though.

Neptune Homme

Autechre are a weird one for me. When I heard Tri Repetae I loved it. There was so much character hidden between these beats that sounded like they could fall apart at any moment. It felt like what Boards Of Canada would make if they'd gone insane and spent their childhood listening to drill and bass. Nothing else of theirs has really caught me. I was very intrigued when they released their mammoth elseq project last year, which is essentially five hours worth of glitch and experimental music. I still haven't managed to get through it, I just pick at the tracks here and there.

Here's a comparison:

The Odyssey

Been really digging Jamie xx lately. He puts out a lot of low-key and atmospheric house tracks that are perfect to unwind to after a long day.

This ones a personal favourite of mine from In Colour and also a very underrated one. Reminds me of drifting off to sleep on a train while its raining outside.

Testarossa

Neat young talent from France:

BlackScout

Some Classic Trance being produced in 2017. Miracle.

Neptune Homme

Trance is well overdue a subtle comeback. It was done to death in the late 90s and early 00s but I'm keen to hear what can be done with today's software and hardware.

Testarossa

New EP by Porter Robinson's side project dropped yesterday:

GLegend

Kygo dropped orchestral version of his Stargazing collab with Justin Jesso a day ago. But I'm not talking about the orchestral version but the original one. Tropical house(i think)is not my taste, but Kygo made it awesome with Stargazing.

Edited by GLegend

Jeansowaty

I hate how EVERY electronic genre is clumped in here. There should be separate topics for Drum and Bass, Techno, Trance etc.

Homemade Dynamite

Then they would be spread too thin.

Neptune Homme

It's often hard to separate genres into topics because even the most blanket of labels can stifle discussion. While it is true that trance and ambient couldnt be further apart from each other, they're often both electronic in nature and it's best that all sub-genres are kept together, lest we end up with a single page topic dedicated to breakcore with about four posters sharing YouTube links and drooling all over themselves. Besides, a lot of electronic music blends genres to the point it's hard to categorise at all. If it's electronic, stick it in here - nobody is going to tell you you're in the wrong place.

anus

Everything in this channel is amazing. It's craaazy:

Neptune Homme

Listened to this from the EP Safety this afternoon. A techno track from an artist known as Yen Towers, this starts off as a minimal, textured track before shifting slightly to incorporate elements from industrial, stripping away anything organic that might have even been lingering. The last two minutes are quite intense if you're playing loud as much of the instrumental fades away to reveal what can only be described as a foundry's pulse.

Arrows to Athens

It's often hard to separate genres into topics because even the most blanket of labels can stifle discussion. While it is true that trance and ambient couldnt be further apart from each other, they're often both electronic in nature and it's best that all sub-genres are kept together, lest we end up with a single page topic dedicated to breakcore with about four posters sharing YouTube links and drooling all over themselves. Besides, a lot of electronic music blends genres to the point it's hard to categorise at all. If it's electronic, stick it in here - nobody is going to tell you you're in the wrong place.

You have a good point. For metal, we would then need to have separate threads for metalcore, deathcore, death metal, thrash metal, doom metal, black metal, industrial metal, funk metal, nu metal, etc., and it would be all over the place.

Jeansowaty

You have a good point. For metal, we would then need to have separate threads for metalcore, deathcore, death metal, thrash metal, doom metal, black metal, industrial metal, funk metal, nu metal, etc., and it would be all over the place.

It's a bit of a different story. Electronic music here is treated as one genre, whereas it's not one but like 15 different styles. THEN they go into subgenres.

Mister Pinkerton

Nobody is treating Electronic music as one genre, it's just for forum functionality purposes. No point in having a Psytrance thread, Drum & Bass, Acid Jazz, Braindance, Dubstep thread etc etc, because although we have some hardcore fans of those genres (hardcore fans, they're usually the people to complain there aren't individual threads) they are active in the music forum and might keep a thread alive for a couple of weeks then they disappear and the thread dies. Then someone new comes along, makes a duplicate topic. That gets locked or is kept on and the other dies or both die. Remember this is a GTA Forum with an off-topic Music forum and then to have genres then sub-genres is really a stretch. Perhaps if it was primarily a music forum, yes.

Besides, most people that like genres that can be categorized under "Electronic Music" love more than one style. Fans of A Guy Called Gerald, Aphex Twin or Luke Vibert could essentially be posting in 5 different threads if we had individual threads for each genre. Why not keep it all in one topic and that way we're all exposed to something new.

In fact, this topic struggles to stay alive at times. Breaking down further, wouldn't help. Kind of like the Rap and Hip Hop topic is all-encompassing. No point in having separate old school-boom-bap, Horrorcore, Turntablism threads. Bandy together to keep it lit.

Twin Peaks meets old-school Techno...

And something soothing for your soul...

Edited by Mister Pink

Neptune Homme

Speaking of A Guy Called Gerald, just snapped up a few tracks from his Bandcamp page. They seem to be under a series called The Producer's Cut but they're more stand-alone songs as opposed to being taken from an album. I'm not sure how I feel about that format but I'm just pleased to own more songs from him. This is one of them.

Mister Pinkerton

Speaking of A Guy Called Gerald, just snapped up a few tracks from his Bandcamp page. They seem to be under a series called The Producer's Cut but they're more stand-alone songs as opposed to being taken from an album. I'm not sure how I feel about that format but I'm just pleased to own more songs from him. This is one of them.

Love that old amen-break-style Jungle sound, especially the bass.

Homemade Dynamite

I see this on a soundtrack during an atmospheric scene.

BoxiestSumo