PS3 Price Drop?

E.A.B.

user posted image

It's one step forward and a giant lurch back as Sony is poised to pull the plug on their 60GB PlayStation 3. You know, the same PlayStation 3 that they generously shaved $100 dollars from earlier this week.

In an interview with GamesIndustry.biz, SCEE president David Reeves casually mentioned the end of the 60GB model when asked if they would offer the European market a lower priced model, as SCEA did here in the States.

"Well, they're not really are they, because what the US are offering from the 1st of August is a USD $599 version with one game."

Reeves goes on to say that SCEA marked it down to move and that once it's gone, it's gone. When asked for the dreaded confirmation as to if this was the end of the 60GB model, Reeves replied "In America, yes."

in short:

THE PS3 STILL COSTS 599 US DOLLARS

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/13/sony-swi...-us-after-july/

stupid stupid stupid. Way to sh*t on people, Sony.

beanmachine43

Please, it's not like 80GB is much more value than 60GB, even if you add in a game. Don't see much of a negative effect coming from the announcement either, considering sales have doubled since then.

And Jesus these Sony hate topics are getting annoying, even if they're not in a direct manner and they've been around forever.

THE PS3 STILL COSTS 599 US DOLLARS

I wish they were that cheap in the UK. People would be buying loads more.

They run about $800 USD here. So I have no idea what the moan is about.

I just hope they pass the price drop onto the UK.

x3FWE.png

Please, it's not like 80GB is much more value than 60GB, even if you add in a game.

I'm just sort of pissed, I guess you could say. First they take out the 20GB version which I believe cost 499. Then they finally lower the price of the 60GB to 499 but take that out also. It's like anyone who wants a PS3 is eternally doomed to pay 59-600 dollars, or more:

They run about $800 USD here.

I don't WANT 80 GB, I didn't need 60, I could've settled for 20. f*ck, 10 even. But Sony insists on me buying the top end model, at least Microsuck (LOL!) gives you options. They could have potentially sold a good amount of 60GB with that price drop, but no, they screw themselves over again.

"Dude the Ferrari brings 10 blu ray movies and two controls!"

"I DON'T CARE IT STILL COSTS A FORTUNE I DONT WANT 10 BLU RAY MOVIES!"

And Jesus these Sony hate topics are getting annoying, even if they're not in a direct manner and they've been around forever.

It's not so much a Sony hate topic as it is reporting the news

It just so happens that Sony is f*cking up every second. I really don't see what you're talking about. In my eyes, gaming chat has been, at some points, filled (well, not filled, maybe two or three topics on the same page) with negative Sony news. But there was never a "f*ck SONY" or "SONY SUCKS" topic that directly gave hate towards it. Not as direct as "What's the point of getting a PS3?", at least, and that topic came from the GTA section of the forums, I believe. I'm sure over there the console bashing is just more blatant.

beanmachine43

It's more along the lines of stupid remarks that people leave after reporting the news. Honestly, people know how Sony shafts its consumers, no need to bring news to people that already know. That's being the more in-direct approach I was talking about, commentary isn't really necessary considering that you're merely reporting the news (not necessarily pointing a specific finger at you and you only, didn't mean to imply so either).

Edited by beanmachine43

they are going to sell out the rest of their 60gig in stock, then they are going to lower the price of the 80gig before holiday time. i am pretty sure they are doing this just to phase out the Emotion chip, which will make the cost of the machine less = more sales.

i cant wait until i sell my 360 and get my ps3. biggrin.gif

AndyGanteks

so this basicly means 60 GB stops selling and we have now only a 80 Gb version!!!...man i fell sorry for those who bought 20 Gb version... colgate.gif

Lycanthrope

Awww wtf? There's an 80 GB model? aww FFS!

Is it the same as the 60 but just 20 GBs more? There's no more extra features?

user posted image

It's more along the lines of stupid remarks that people leave after reporting the news. Honestly, people know how Sony shafts its consumers, no need to bring news to people that already know. That's being the more in-direct approach I was talking about, commentary isn't really necessary considering that you're merely reporting the news

Oh...

hehe, I'm guilty of that biggrin.gif

No, I understand.

(not necessarily pointing a specific finger at you and you only, didn't mean to imply so either)

nah, it's cool

[GTA Man]cycon77foamy[GTA Man]

In one of the replies to this article that appeared on Gamespot. The replie said it could be the end of the 60gb Emotion Engine version. The one trhat comes with the chip.

Maybe its

1. An End of the 60gig Emotion Engine included version..

2. An end to 60gig Version alltogther which sucks.

I havent seen the Sony E3 conference but i imagined it went like this:

[Kaz Hirari]: We are happy to announce an 80 gigabyte model of the Playstation 3 will be availbe in the next few months.

{Crowd Applaudes}

[Kaz Hirari]: Also we are confirming the $100 price drop in North America effective as of after E3!

{Crowd Cheers}

[Kaz Hirari] Plus.. we are annoncing that after the 1st of August the 60 gigabyte model of the Playstation will no longer be availible in North America...

{Lights go out}

{Lights back on}

[Crowd Member] To friend next to him Hey. Wheres that Kaz dude?

Typical Sony, people think that sony is ready to cup their balls and play nice, and then sony gives a nice thick tug to your sack, holding your nuts ransom for a nice $600 price. So basically, no more emotion engine chip and forced purchase of motorstorm? People if you really want a PS3, now is the time to buy a 60gber.

@[GTA Man]cycon77foamy[GTA Man] : Your signature is wrong. It says that I am using netscape one time and then it says I am using an older version of firefox (I am using newest firefox) Then at the bottom, it says and I quote" Get a better service provider". Um WTF? If anyone who doesn't know what I am talking about, just look at my signature.

EDIT: Well it seems that SONY staff are at it agian.

Peter Dille, Sony's senior vice president of marketing for PlayStation, is angry. No, actually, he's furious. So much so he's about ready to punch on. And Microsoft, boy, are you gonna get it:

I don't want to be argumentative, but I take issue with Microsoft either having a long tail, or being profitable, because they've never done either. They've never made a dime in this business, number one, and number two, they've never had a tail. They've never been successful enough to have a tail! So the notion of a back half of the curve doesn't exist for them. They stopped the Xbox and I kind of feel for the guy that bought an Xbox the month before they said 'we're out of business, we're moving on.'

Them is most certainly fightin' words. But wait. He ain't done.

With the Xbox 360 you've got an inconsistent design, some have a hard drive, some don't, and none of them have Blu-Ray, and the HD-DVD will be out of business in a matter of months. Is this a 10 year product? And by the way, it doesn't even work. Do they want to be selling it for 10 years and refurbishing them all for 10 more years? I don't think that's a 10 year product. You could disagree with me, or they could disagree with me, but I'd put that up against the PS3 any day.

I'm pretty sure that's about the point the handlers burst into the room and hit him with the tranquilizer darts. Little drastic, yeah, but it had to be done. Any more hulking out and he wouldn't have just been a danger to Microsoft, he'd have been a danger to himself, and his loved ones.

Source

10 YEARS PEOPLE! 10 YEARS! That's how long the PS3's life cycle will be. Remember that PS4 will come around Nov, 2016.(Maybe not, but lifecycle for that long? BS) Not for nothing, but 10 years technology wise is a joke. In ten years Blu-ray will read alot faster and will probably be replaced by another optical medium or hdd downloads. In ten years, xbox and nintendo will have released another two or three generations of products. Progressively, each generation is getting shorter as technology continues to grow faster and faster. Look at a top of the line PC from 1997 and compare it with one from 2007. It's a big difference.

Edited by Sixdust

Thats it, I was deciding whether to buy a PS3 or an Xbox360 for the longest time, and Xbox, you win.

With the Xbox 360 you've got an inconsistent design, some have a hard drive, some don't, and none of them have Blu-Ray, and the HD-DVD will be out of business in a matter of months. Is this a 10 year product? And by the way, it doesn't even work. Do they want to be selling it for 10 years and refurbishing them all for 10 more years? I don't think that's a 10 year product. You could disagree with me, or they could disagree with me, but I'd put that up against the PS3 any day.

I want to shoot the guy with a 12 gauge for being inconsistently inconsestent about the X360 alien.gif .

All of the X360s can support Hard drives. Unlike Sony MS gives the option to get a cheap Console, which can be upgraded later. Not everyone can Splash $499 at once.MS, although it has no plans to do so can add Bluray further down the line if HD DVD fails. HD DVD is not a requirement to play games, which consoles are made for. MS never said they're planning on keeping the X360 for 10 years... which even PS3 wont last that long. The GPU is already outdated by PC standards. it'll be crap in 10 years time. MS, and nintendo for that matter will surely bring out 2/3 consoles in 10 years time just as sixdust said.

Ya know it makes me happy that I spilled $1300 on a high end gaming PC. Fanboyism is inexistent in PC gaming, as nothing comes close to PC. The more time passes, the more I love my choice for PC gaming over consoles.As I said before, Microsoft will not go bankrupt if the Xbox series fails, where as for Sony, the Playstation makes a big chunk of their profit, so they better think twice before they speak.

I wonder when sarajejedgathingy will pop out in this topic to defend sony

user posted image

user posted image

I want to shoot the guy with a 12 gauge for being inconsistently inconsestent about the X360 alien.gif .

All of the X360s can support Hard drives. Unlike Sony MS gives the option to get a cheap Console, which can be upgraded later. Not everyone can Splash $499 at once.MS, although it has no plans to do so can add Bluray further down the line if HD DVD fails. HD DVD is not a requirement to play games, which consoles are made for. MS never said they're planning on keeping the X360 for 10 years... which even PS3 wont last that long. The GPU is already outdated by PC standards. it'll be crap in 10 years time. MS, and nintendo for that matter will surely bring out 2/3 consoles in 10 years time just as sixdust said.

Ya know it makes me happy that I spilled $1300 on a high end gaming PC. Fanboyism is inexistent in PC gaming, as nothing comes close to PC. The more time passes, the more I love my choice for PC gaming over consoles.As I said before, Microsoft will not go bankrupt if the Xbox series fails, where as for Sony, the Playstation makes a big chunk of their profit, so they better think twice before they speak.

I wonder when sarajejedgathingy will pop out in this topic to defend sony

lol @ sarajejedgathingy.

There are fanboys in almost all competing markets. AMD vs. Intel vs. Via or Nvidia vs. ATi vs. Intel, OS X vs Windows, Canon vs. Nikon, etc.,

There are fanboys in almost all competing markets. AMD vs. Intel vs. Via or Nvidia vs. ATi vs. Intel, OS X vs Windows, Canon vs. Nikon, etc.,

Yes I agree, however you don't PC Vs something wars as in consoles

user posted image

user posted image

SIP YEK NOD

umm, did everybody take their overreaction pills this morning?

when the 60 gigger is sold out, its sold out, yeah, but at the end of march they had built 6,000,000 units, stopped producing the 20 gigger, and by the end of may had only sold about 3 mil ps3s(just an estimate, don't attack on it).

that means there is still, bare minimum, 3 million 60 giggers either on store shelves or in sonys warehouse. if they produced them at the same rate up to the end of july, and sold, say 4 mil total by then, there could be as many as 6 million 60 gig ps3s existing today.

at the rate they sell, it could last into 08.

@sixdust: you do realize the ps1 only ended production in 2005, 10 years after launch? with the ps2 still going strong, it could see a 10 year cycle. it doesn't necessarily mean its their only console for its entire 10 year life. it simply means they are going to be making them for 10 years, ps4 or not.

@matthew: MAC pwns Windows PCs, so nyah!

Edited by SIP YEK NOD
user posted image

yeah... For photoshop. try running oblvion on the MAC, or the upcoming Bioshock and crysis for that matter. PC=gaming MAC=production. True gaming is on Windows based PC ( and linux for having Quake 4)

user posted image

user posted image

SIP YEK NOD

yeah... For photoshop. try running oblvion on the MAC, or the upcoming Bioshock and crysis for that matter. PC=gaming MAC=production. True gaming is on Windows based PC ( and linux for having Quake 4)

but gaming is but one of a computers function. mac excels at every other function. we could have a mac for computer, and a console for gaming, and have a more complete experience than you lame-ass PC users

**note: these are not actually veiws, i heart my windows PC and the gaming that comes with it, i am just doing this to prove the point that fanboyism exists everywhere

user posted image

Yes I know it does exist everywhere. It's just that it's more visibly in consoles. Everyone agrees computers[/s] are better, so the fanboyism is not as big as in MS VS Sony

user posted image

user posted image

SIP YEK NOD
Yes I know it does exist everywhere. It's just that it's more visibly in consoles. Everyone agrees computers[/s] are better, so the fanboyism is not as big as in MS VS Sony

but once you get soley into the PC thing, you have to deal with very real intel vs AMD and Nvidia Vs ATI

consoles are simply more easily accessible, and can't be benchmarked through common programs, so it comes down more to personal opinion, which is where battles begin. i can say intel is better than AMD and post factual numbers to back it up, that does calm a great deal of fanboyism.

user posted image

umm, did everybody take their overreaction pills this morning?

when the 60 gigger is sold out, its sold out, yeah, but at the end of march they had built 6,000,000 units, stopped producing the 20 gigger, and by the end of may had only sold about 3 mil ps3s(just an estimate, don't attack on it).

that means there is still, bare minimum, 3 million 60 giggers either on store shelves or in sonys warehouse. if they produced them at the same rate up to the end of july, and sold, say 4 mil total by then, there could be as many as 6 million 60 gig ps3s existing today.

at the rate they sell, it could last into 08.

@sixdust: you do realize the ps1 only ended production in 2005, 10 years after launch? with the ps2 still going strong, it could see a 10 year cycle. it doesn't necessarily mean its their only console for its entire 10 year life. it simply means they are going to be making them for 10 years, ps4 or not.

Someone forgot to take their PMS pills. tounge.gif

Remember that PS4 will come around Nov, 2016.(Maybe not, but lifecycle for that long? BS) Not for nothing, but 10 years technology wise is a joke.

It was sarcasm and I even stated my doubts. Its true that the PS1 was in production for 10 years, but 1995-2005 but seriously, towards the end of the cycle, less and less were being made and purchased. Usually people rebuying oldies that they like for bargain bin prices. Same goes for PS2. You can buy one now new for really cheap and you still have a great selection of games at bargain bin prices. However, times and technology change, especially with newer consoles having backwards compatibility. Sure, there are people who still repurchase the bargain bin stuff, but it's not practical for the newest and best experience. The leap in technology from last year is impressive enough, let alone a decades worth. New technologies are constantly being developed and emulation is wonderful, with prices falling, and technology becoming faster, cheaper, and smaller, the only reason such high figure heads should be bragging about it is if they are at a stock holders meeting. A majority of us are hardcore gamers, a big market in itself, and I know the casual market is huge as well, but a 10 year life cycle is great, however seems ludicrous to me as a hardcore gamer. [/overreaction pill rant]

Edited by Sixdust

SIP YEK NOD
Its true that the PS1 was in production for 10 years, but 1995-2005 but seriously, towards the end of the cycle, less and less were being made and purchased.

because it wasn't a relevant machine post-01 doesn't mean it didn't exist in 04. it is just an example of what sony means by a 10 year life cycle. i am sure they will race to be first-to-market in the next generation by 2011. i can't see them making the same catastrophic mistakes twice in a row

btw, you need to stop taking things so personally, and buy a damn current gen console ffs. you are always discussing them, just jump in.

user posted image

but once you get soley into the PC thing, you have to deal with very real intel vs AMD and Nvidia Vs ATI

consoles are simply more easily accessible, and can't be benchmarked through common programs, so it comes down more to personal opinion, which is where battles begin. i can say intel is better than AMD and post factual numbers to back it up, that does calm a great deal of fanboyism.

That's what I like about PC gaming! You've got actual numbers to compare with . there's a big difference between

AMDboy:Dude leik my AMD FX60 is better than your core 2 crap!

intelboy: Yes but look at the 3dmark they clearly show that my C2D got 1000000000000 marks and that OWNZZ!

to

Sonyboy: Leik t3h PS3 has 7 cores lololl!!

Xboy: But My X360 Got m0r3 GameZ!! Cell is unproven technology

sonyy: but We;ve got BLU RAY!!!! That's 50 gigs of space llooll!

Xboy: 8.5 gigs is enough!

Fact based fanboyism wins .

I rest my case

user posted image

user posted image

btw, you need to stop taking things so personally, and buy a damn current gen console ffs. you are always discussing them, just jump in.

I'm not taking anything personal I just like to use humor. As for me jumping in, physical activity for the lose.

Nah, I'll get a 360 soon, it's just that I didn't need to buy a console yet. I have friends on all sides of the gaming fence, me being one of the friends that has alot of last gen consoles plus PC, therefore we all piggyback off one another so we don't have to purchase the same sh^t twenty times. We usually just buy things like controllers and then we join in. One console can usually keep four people gaming at once. Therefore, a few dollars as opposed to a few hundred dollars can have me "jumping in"to the next gen war. Also, other world things come first for me such as education and work, which is why I put off the consoles until later. I still have to remember that I can't play Oblivion due to the mind/time raping it does on me. I love gaming and such but at the end of the day, there isn't always time to play, or the my mood can be wrong and unwilling to play through anything.

Twang of Cauliflower

Is it hard to buy a used PS3 or something? Just because they canceled 20-gig production, doesn't mean they stopped existing, same for the 60-gig.

If it's as big of a failure as many people try to make it out to be, pawnshops and ebay should be flooded with them.

...teh kicker.

Lycanthrope
Is it hard to buy a used PS3 or something? Just because they canceled 20-gig production, doesn't mean they stopped existing, same for the 60-gig.

If it's as big of a failure as many people try to make it out to be, pawnshops and ebay should be flooded with them.

I reckon you could pick up an EB Games catalog. Then look on the back of it and ring the numbers for the shops that are near you, and ask them. I reckon they should have one or two. Good luck.

user posted image

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.