LCS's engine?

emeryrulz

Yes I search, and got nothing, that I didn't have to search through like 20 pages to find. I really want to know what engine LCS and VCS are running on. I tried wiki, but it seems someone get a hold of it and edited it. Is it the same thing as all the other 3D GTA's, I believe RenderWare?

Yes I search, and got nothing, that I didn't have to search through like 20 pages to find. I really want to know what engine LCS and VCS are running on. I tried wiki, but it seems someone get a hold of it and edited it. Is it the same thing as all the other 3D GTA's, I believe RenderWare?

Im not sure, The past GTA's run on Renderware (3, VC, SA) but if you remember... the banner that used to be up the top of the VCS Section "VCS Dosen't Use The San Andreas Engine"

I don't think they run on Renderware.

If I remember correctly the pre-release discussion of these games, it was a modified rendition of Vice City's Renderware version.

ZMHer.png

TcLvb.pngGyRHV.png

Thats what I was thinking. So would LCS use a modified version of GTA3's?

Blackadder.
If I remember correctly the pre-release discussion of these games, it was a modified rendition of Vice City's Renderware version.

I'm probably wrong, but I think they actually used parts of the San Andreas engine aswell, there are some minor things that show this, and VCS furthers this

But it is safe to say LCS/VCS runs on a edited VC engine.

user posted image

gamerzworld

It does NOT run on RenderWare! They would have to make an license agreement with EA to do that and I don't think Rockstar would want to do that. (EA bought RenderWare just before SA was released. Luckily, Rockstar had already licensed the engine for SA and Bully before EA came into the picture) In an interview with the head of Rockstar Leeds back before LCS was released, he said LCS uses a new in house engine. VCS uses that same "in house" engine with a few tweaks. This is why the model and texture formats are not like SA, VC, or III.

It is however highly based on VC's Renderware. That is why, in LCS, you can get the $50 bonus for stopping people running from the cops. (Previously only in VC)

Independence

Though most players won't realize it, one of the more interesting notes about Liberty City Stories' technology is that this is the first time since the series has gone 3D that there's a GTA game not built using Renderware. Instead, the LCS engine has been built by Rockstar Leeds and Rockstar North. This doesn't come as a huge surprise, though -- you didn't expect Rockstar to want to pay Electronic Arts (which recently purchased Criterion, which is responsible for Renderware) royalties on every GTA game sold, did you?

GTA: LCS's engine is nothing more than the Vice City engine with less polygons. Either this game was in development since before San Andreas came out, or Rockstar decided that there was no way they could get the SA engine running on the PSP. Either way, it's great. You have motorcycles, helicopters, you can shoot out tires, go indoors, etc. But like I said, it has none of the new features from San Andreas; no bikes, no player stats.
This, of course is mis-guided, but does show that it is based on Renderware. Edited by jnzooger

Just to clear this uo, it's actually RAGE it uses, but a toned down version of it, as it is Rockstar Own Engine. LCS was based on the Vice incarnation of the Renderware Engine and was near enough "Emulated" the whole thing with a few things added here and there and some stuff tweaked. VCS is an evolved version of that, but not as evolved as the San Andreas incarnation of Renderware. The VCS engine is just a vastly upgraded LCS engine with some stuff copied from the San Andreas Engine. To map it out...

GTA3 - Renderware

Vice City - Renderware, Upgraded Incarnation of GTA3

San Andreas - Renderware, Vast Upgraded Incarnation of Vice City

LCS - RAGE, Based on Vice City Incarnation of Renderware

VCS - RAGE, Upgraded Incarnation of LCS

edit: The above information is outdated, LCS and VCS do use a custom rendering engine but it's known internally as R*L3D, this information was found out around six years after this post.

Edited by Ash_735
  • Like 9

• 15 years later...
VictorVNce3

I know this maybe a dead forum, but I just wanna say that both VCS and LCS is not at all based off the engines from III and VC but based off a retooled San andreas engine, kinda how GTA IV engine is used in The ballad of Gay tony and The lost and damned, I kinda think that San andreas is the main game kinda like GTA IV and the stories games are DLC that you pay for.

• Like 1
  • Bruh 1