First Multi-Player Tidbit + Niko Is Russian

Jordan

"In addition to the exclusive content for Xbox 360, GTA IV will feature a multiplayer mode on Xbox LIVE that will match the drama and intensity of Niko’s solo mission."

That's not much, and I don't really know if that even says anything, but it is the first thing we have heard other than "GTA IV will have multi-player."

Also, they confirmed Niko is Russian, and this is Xbox.com. It's not Spong or some other similar site.

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/news-features/ne...60-11072007.htm

From Xbox's side, yes. However, we've heard numerous times already, from Rockstar's Hamish Brown and Dan Houser, that the game will feature multiplayer, and even this co-op part:

Playing the single player game through co-operative mode is not possible, however there will be a co-op mode in addition to all the other unknown multiplayer modes.

http://www.gta4.net/news/3870/more-gta-iv-...zine-australia/

From Xbox's side, yes. However, we've heard numerous times already, from Rockstar's Hamish Brown and Dan Houser, that the game will feature multiplayer, and even this co-op part:

Playing the single player game through co-operative mode is not possible, however there will be a co-op mode in addition to all the other unknown multiplayer modes.

http://www.gta4.net/news/3870/more-gta-iv-...zine-australia/

Not sure how I missed that. So strange how no one ever talks about that. It's as if it not only went over my head, but the heads of many others. I have never seen this.

As part of GTA IV's new physics, you'll be able to hear/feel the bass of vehicles passing by with their radio turned on.

This is good to hear. I'm glad they won't just make the song louder, like in Saints Row. That was so unrealistic/retarded. confused.gif

Edited by Brish

I love repressed emotions.

Not sure how I missed that. So strange how no one ever talks about that. It's as if it not only went over my head, but the heads of many others. I have never seen this.

user posted image

Not sure how I missed that.  So strange how no one ever talks about that.  It's as if it not only went over my head, but the heads of many others.  I have never seen this.

user posted image

I know, I feel ashamed. Perhaps I should go and buy a dog, but the last one I went to buy...didn't...want...me...

MysteryGamer

Thanks for the information multiplayer will probably be good but I will be sticking to the single player experience I prefer it any day over online gaming. Niko was said to be Russian from the start so I guess a lot of people were right in the first place.

Perhaps I should go and buy a dog, but the last one I went to buy...didn't...want...me...

That happens if you're going to do this with it...

user posted image

What?! "..of Niko's solo mission". There's only one mission in the entire game?! sad.gif

MysteryGamer

What?! "..of Niko's solo mission". There's only one mission in the entire game?! sad.gif

Of course not it is just a figure of speech. There may be less missions in Grand Theft Auto IV than the previous games but it is clear that the missions in the game will be far more detailed and complex.

AndyGanteks

No ofcourse there's not 1 mission in the game.And the Niko russian part is know as it has been confirmed by other mags(screenfun Serbia as one for example)And the multiplayer info is pretty much nothing to be, so it is so boring i have to go to sleep now.THX for ruining my good E3 and GTA Iv games Tm and Gameinformer info day!!

user posted image

^^ isnt this the same dog Adriaan posted?

IceCreamMan

Good find Adriaan & Jordan, I had a feeling that they were going to use ATM's as a part of game play. rahkstar2.gifcookie.gif

Edited by IceCreamMan

viniciusdcs

It's pretty hard to keep track and remember all of the GTA IV previews and remember every single bit of info.

I wonder if Adriaan can keep every single tiny bit of info in his head.

It's pretty hard to keep track and remember all of the GTA IV previews and remember every single bit of info.

I wonder if Adriaan can keep every single tiny bit of info in his head.

No. But confirmed multiplayer on numerous occasions certainly isn't a "tiny bit of info".

The Unvirginiser

Jordan I know you own plantegta.com... but how do you get this info so quickly?

Also, they confirmed Niko is Russian, and this is Xbox.com.  It's not Spong or some other similar site.

I'm still thinking that Niko is not Russian (read this, this, this and this). dozingoff.gif

fitbikesbmx

im pretty damn sure dan houser said Niko is NOT russian, he is just eastern european, but hey whatever im sure microsoft knows way more than he would rolleyes.gif

Jordan I know you own plantegta.com... but how do you get this info so quickly?

"Perhaps here..." http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=286243

Gangstaman590

Cool multi-player. Was just about to ask about this, I wonder what kind of modes they will have. Rampage, races, maybe create ur own gang or clan or watever. Whatever they do I'm sure Rockstar will do a good job. rahkstar2.gif

nice.

I think Niko comes and builds the Russian Mafia (from GTA2) in GTA4. He kinda resembles Jerkov any ways.

Hai Jimi. Bai Jimi.

Suction Testicle Ban

UnitedDestruction

Im not sure if anyone posted this yet, but here: http://72.14.209.104/search?hs=sUq&hl=en&l...601&btnG=Search

I had to use google cache because they took the article down not long after they put it up (?). A lot of it isnt that new but it does say about multiplayer "one multiplayer mode will allow players to face off against each other, but they have to find each other first, before filling each other with lead." Not too surprising though.

Also said "Apparently, players who commit enough crimes to raise their wanted level to seven stars will appear on the radar, opening the door for the other player to track them down and deal out some death." Not sure how youd gain stars (especially 7...im used to six, its freaky man) in multiplayer mode. They mightve taken the article down for inaccuracy, but until and if they repost the article we dunno.

Edited by UnitedDestruction

I hope Niko is defined more exactly than "Eastern European" because such non-specificity is weak. Leaving it vague would make me wonder if the actor's accent is so wrong they need to avoid saying what it should be compared to, or worse, R*/TT is intimidated by some foreign government protesting a negative portrayal. It would be like The Godfather never saying Sicily!

I hope Niko is defined more exactly than "Eastern European" because such non-specificity is weak. Leaving it vague would make me wonder if the actor's accent is so wrong they need to avoid saying what it should be compared to, or worse, R*/TT is intimidated by some foreign government protesting a negative portrayal. It would be like The Godfather never saying Sicily!

"No Sicilian can refuse any request on his daughter's wedding day."

"It's a Sicilian message: Luca Brasi's sleeping with the fishes."

Err?

EDIT: Silly me, I've been awake for TOO long. I swear to God I actually misread you saying something like "like they didn't mention Siciliy in the Godfather [game]". tounge2.gif

Edited by nlitement

I obviously can't comment on the accuracy of this article, but it says a nice little bit about the multi-player as though it were fact. Perhaps this is where CVG (mentioned above by UnitedDestruction) got their info.

Kotaku

Link was still active at time of posting, let me know if it dies and I'll get rid of it so as not to get hopes up for others.

If Niko is Russian, then SWEET!

If not, I don't really mind, considering he is from that area.

im pretty damn sure dan houser said Niko is NOT russian, he is just eastern european, but hey whatever im sure microsoft knows way more than he would rolleyes.gif

I concur. It would make more sense to me if he was from one of the other Eastern European countries like Ukraine, Slovakia, Poland or Romania. Mainly because we see so many working class immigrants from these countries in the UK, and not so many from Russia.

I had a very interesting conversation with a Czech on a flight to Germany a few months ago and he told me that he knows a lot of people who left Slovakia and the Ukraine because they owed money to the Ukrainian mafia, who are notoriously unforgiving and violent apparently.

The Ukrainian mafia are also heavily involved in people smuggling. (See first trailer.)

Could this be Niko? Trying to escape the mafia he used to work for and with whom he may have had a disagreement?

I concur. It would make more sense to me if he was from one of the other Eastern European countries like Ukraine, Slovakia, Poland or Romania. Mainly because we see so many working class immigrants from these countries in the UK, and not so many from Russia.

I had a very interesting conversation with a Czech on a flight to Germany a few months ago and he told me that he knows a lot of people who left Slovakia and the Ukraine because they owed money to the Ukrainian mafia, who are notoriously unforgiving and violent apparently.

The Ukrainian mafia are also heavily involved in people smuggling. (See first trailer.)

Could this be Niko? Trying to escape the mafia he used to work for and with whom he may have had a disagreement?

I beg to differ, in Brooklyn I'd say a good 2/3 if not more of the people are Russian. Not to mention Ukraine is still pretty much Russian, there language there is Russian, and native Poland people usually know how to speak Russian as well.

Even if Niko isn't Russian, I really hope there are a lot of Russian peds, it would be great biggrin.gif

AndyGanteks

i'm guessing there will be offline multiplayer modes together with online ones

When asked about a San Andreas Stories for the PSP, he replies saying that they don't have any plans for that at the moment, suggesting that they likely haven't started at all on another GTA PSP title.

I love when they say that.Bunch of F@C@I@G lies