Top view of GTA3 maps?

witsalldonebefor

witsalldonebefor

Okay, this really has nothing to do with GTA modding.

I need a 3D view of each island of GTA3. It does not need to be 100% clear. I just need a to be able to see between the buildings alleys and roads.

I bet your probably not wondering why I'm asking for this. I'm wanting to recreate GTA3's map on Valve's Source engine(Half-Life 2). So for right now I need a top down view of each island for GTA3's map. Thats just so I can get all the big things covered.

And a I have more small thing to ask right now.

Is it legal to take the texture files for GTA3 and convert them to them to Valve Texture File and Valve Material Files, and give them out? They will be in a different format than the GTA ones. Or would I have to make my own?

Thanks.

Oh, BTW, I used to be Emeryrulz. I thought it was time for a name change.

I may not be able to help you with getting the sky views, but I can advise on copyright issues.

It is illegal to use GTAIII, any GTA works on another game engine without the game companies consent, however there is nothing stopping you from re-creating a city like gta3, using your own models and textures.

witsalldonebefor

Well, thats to bad. The textures aren't that big of a deal any how. I could get someone to help me with it. But there are already a lot of texture that resemble. And a lot of models too. So I have a lot of work already done for me.

witsalldonebefor

Does anyone know the unit scale for GTA3? Like is one inch actually one inch in game?

dertyjerzian

In max, using the deafault units setup, 3 units is one story. a Road is 10 units wide. That gets you started, Import a ped and delete its bones for reference.

As for copyrighs and stuff, I saw a "gta map to fps" mod, that was pretty acceptable somewhere. DOnt worry on copyright. Rockstar wil probably play your mod and love it wink.gif

Bandy Ban-Ban-Ban. Chugga Chugga Woot Woot.

witsalldonebefor

I don't know what that is. I need to know what kind of unit conversion the used.

With Half-Life 2 maps. It's 1 unit = 1 inch. What is it like with the program GTA3's map was made in.

If I'm going to put the map out people will need the textures. And if I use the textures for GTA and convert them. I would have to give them to the people. Which would be like stealing. I would be a pirate. And I'm not to fond of pirates.

Edited by witsalldonebefor

witsalldonebefor

I really need the scale for GTA3 guys. It's making it such a headache without it. So please someone help.

witsalldonebefor
In max, using the deafault units setup, 3 units is one story. a Road is 10 units wide. That gets you started, Import a ped and delete its bones for reference.

As for copyrighs and stuff, I saw a "gta map to fps" mod, that was pretty acceptable somewhere. DOnt worry on copyright. Rockstar wil probably play your mod and love it wink.gif

I found out that 1 unit for all 3d GTA games equals one meter. So from Google's calculations 10 unit's equals about 33 feet. Is that right? Maybe for the 4 lane roads then, right?

dertyjerzian

almost.

See, typically, in GTA the sidewalk is 5 units wide, then the first lane of the road is 5 units as well. Which includes and shoulder etc.

That piece of the road is butted with another piece, mirrored, this time street then sidewalk to form one road, 20 units wide with the sidewalks included.

This allowed for a better game play environment when weaving in city streets of only 2 lanes going either direction, as it opened up another place to swerve around them.

Building your maps to exact scale would leave you with hella wide roads and planar as they are, would be rather unexciting and hard to populate with life.

As for using GTAs textures in Source, the lo-res textures would most likely look pretty crappy in source, and if not, source is still created for use with great visuals, and upping the size of textures/retwexturing would be a much better route, as you could really make the old liberty shine in this way.

EDIT: I cant be assed around to install gta3 right now, but if someone in the liberty city team would do you a solid, they could render a radar of the entire map from steve-m's map viewer and make all the tiles one map in G-Dar in less than five minutes.

Edited by dertyjerzian™
Bandy Ban-Ban-Ban. Chugga Chugga Woot Woot.

witsalldonebefor

Well, right now, I'm not to worried about how pretty the map looks. Right now I just need the measurements because without them I have nothing.

What I'm doing is building from the roads inward. So 10 meters for the road? I'm still trying to get Hammer to work with feet right. So I'm not sure if it would be to big.

I had a look at some of the textures from GTA3 earlier and they look to small. I have a few road textures though, to work with until I get everything done, and start cleaning up.

I do still need a top view of the city, or at least a better one. I'm stuck with a drawing of one, and a bunch of separate ones. I really need a good clear one the is all in one.

Edit: I just tried those measurements and it is perfect. Well, at least with to airboats it is.

Edited by witsalldonebefor