4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Carbine23

Do You know your World War 2 history?

dills

yes they were they wanted land after world war 1 but they were never promised it after the treaty so they went to facism and became allies with hitler...........

and yes there were many reasons

....he grew up with a abusive father

....his mother died and he was very close to her

....he didnt make it into art school

....he fought in world war 1

....The Treaty of Versailles

....He basically becamed outraged and thought germany should be the power of the world (even though he was austrian......hehe im part austrian too) he wrote all his ideas in his book mein kompf (or somethin like that)

I could be wrong here but I think dills was referring more to the economic collapse of Germany brought about by the Great Depression making Germans long for a strong leader along with the repeated failures of the Weimar Republic such as Hyperinflation, numerous uprisings and Putschs' including Hitler himself and passive resisitance in Ruhr; coupled with other later events which solidified Hitler's power such as the Reichstag Fire and Night of the Long Knives, rather than Hitler having a rough childhood which I have never heard before...

Italy's fall to Fascism was more down to the King's reliance on Mussolini.

Correct.

From what I can remember, here is a very brief break down:

Hitler decides to achieve power politically.

Stops aiming at working class (mainly communist supporters now) and begins aiming at middle class.

Middle class view Nazis as thuggish, violent party.

Formed a partnership with the German Nationalist Party, GNP respectable so Nazis were seen as more respectable.

Middle Class start to like Nazis.

Leader of GNP has access to various medias.

Nazi propaganda appears in cinemas, newspapers etc. People begin to be indoctrinated into Nazism.

Hitler had problems to exploit: Hyperinflation (printing money to pay for the war, Strike pay for the Ruhr workers, buying in raw materials from abroad etc.), also the Great Depression hit Germany hard - American banks called the money they had loaned Germany under the Dawes Plan back. War Guilt Clause - damaged Germany's pride, felt it wasn't their fault - Hitler agreed. Stab in the Back theory.

Nazi vote rise.

Nazis have largest party in Reichstag, not majority however. Hitler demands to be Chancellor.

Von Papen and Hindenburg belive they can control Hitler by limiting the number of Nazis in the cabinet.

Reichstag Fire. Communist party heavily affected.

Enabling Act.

Parties find it hard to promote themselves due to the SA breaking up meetings, house searches, phone taps etc.

Night of the Long Knives is around this time IIRC.

Catholic Party sign a concordat and remove themselves from politics.

Nazis made only legal political party in Germany.

Hindenburg dies.

Hitler unites offices of Chancellor and President and names himself Fuher of Germany.

Army swears personal oath of loyalty to Hitler for saving them from the SA (Night of the Long Knives), Hitler has protection.

There are bound to be a few mistakes there so someone can point them out, but I think that's the gist of Hitler's rise to power.

So as you can see, there were numerous things that contributed to Hitler's rise to power, the main thing I can see that the ToV relates to is hyperinflation and the War Guilt Clause, but it does not account for all of the stages.

All-Blacks
they wouldn't agree with Wilson who wanted to help Germany and set up the league of nations but instead europe tortured germany and got them so angry that hitler rose up and wanted revenge....

Wilson did set up the League of Nations, yes, but do you want to take a lucky guess on who didn't join it at all?

DareYokel

WAR DOESN`T MAKE BOYS MEN. IT MAKES MEN DEAD.

Someone important said that. I saw it when i died in Call of duty 3.

And i don`t agree with topic starter. Humanity should forget about that horible event.

Carbine23
WAR DOESN`T MAKE BOYS MEN. IT MAKES MEN DEAD.

Someone important said that. I saw it when i died in Call of duty 3.

And i don`t agree with topic starter. Humanity should forget about that horible event.

so your saying we should forget those men who fought for us everyday americans and risked there lives and leave it all behind us and act like nothing ever happened?

Sillyhed2000

yes they were they wanted land after world war 1 but they were never promised it after the treaty so they went to facism and became allies with hitler...........

and yes there were many reasons

....He basically becamed outraged and thought germany should be the power of the world (even though he was austrian......hehe im part austrian too) he wrote all his ideas in his book mein kompf (or somethin like that)

I could be wrong here but I think dills was referring more to the economic collapse of Germany brought about by the Great Depression making Germans long for a strong leader along with the repeated failures of the Weimar Republic such as Hyperinflation, numerous uprisings and Putschs' including Hitler himself and passive resisitance in Ruhr; coupled with other later events which solidified Hitler's power such as the Reichstag Fire and Night of the Long Knives, rather than Hitler having a rough childhood which I have never heard before...

Italy's fall to Fascism was more down to the King's reliance on Mussolini.

Correct.

From what I can remember, here is a very brief break down:

Hitler decides to achieve power politically.

Stops aiming at working class (mainly communist supporters now) and begins aiming at middle class.

Middle class view Nazis as thuggish, violent party.

Formed a partnership with the German Nationalist Party, GNP respectable so Nazis were seen as more respectable.

Middle Class start to like Nazis.

Leader of GNP has access to various medias.

Nazi propaganda appears in cinemas, newspapers etc. People begin to be indoctrinated into Nazism.

Hitler had problems to exploit: Hyperinflation (printing money to pay for the war, Strike pay for the Ruhr workers, buying in raw materials from abroad etc.), also the Great Depression hit Germany hard - American banks called the money they had loaned Germany under the Dawes Plan back. War Guilt Clause - damaged Germany's pride, felt it wasn't their fault - Hitler agreed. Stab in the Back theory.

Nazi vote rise.

Nazis have largest party in Reichstag, not majority however. Hitler demands to be Chancellor.

Von Papen and Hindenburg belive they can control Hitler by limiting the number of Nazis in the cabinet.

Reichstag Fire. Communist party heavily affected.

Enabling Act.

Parties find it hard to promote themselves due to the SA breaking up meetings, house searches, phone taps etc.

Night of the Long Knives is around this time IIRC.

Catholic Party sign a concordat and remove themselves from politics.

Nazis made only legal political party in Germany.

Hindenburg dies.

Hitler unites offices of Chancellor and President and names himself Fuher of Germany.

Army swears personal oath of loyalty to Hitler for saving them from the SA (Night of the Long Knives), Hitler has protection.

There are bound to be a few mistakes there so someone can point them out, but I think that's the gist of Hitler's rise to power.

So as you can see, there were numerous things that contributed to Hitler's rise to power, the main thing I can see that the ToV relates to is hyperinflation and the War Guilt Clause, but it does not account for all of the stages.

And let's not forget the Allied policy of appeasement, which not only set an example for Hitler when doing nothing about similar countries invading other nations (Hello, Italian invasion of Abyssinia, Japanese invasion of Manchuria, etc), but allowed Hitler to invade entire nations without declaring war. He got all of Czechoslovakia without a drop of blood being shed because the western nations did not want to go to war over it, and Czechoslovakia knew they could not stand against him alone. The allies were pure spineless.

With the Great Depression, also remember that it was largely responsible for the failure of disarmament and meant that to kickstart economies, large military forces were the call of order, giving rise to global hostility.

That is an ignorant view of WWII. One man cannot change history; while Hitler obviously had a role, he was an opportunist. It was largely due to the incapabilities of the western nations that allowed him to have what he wanted; in a few instances, they gave him things he hadn't even asked for yet, simply to avoid conflict. Just because he may or may not have been dropped on his head as a child doesn't equate to global war; things are a bit more complicated than that.

No.1 Loonie

You people seem to be forgetting Asia in regards to the start of WWII, which made it a real world war. Pretty much, Japan, under the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere(?), invaded Manchuria(1931?), then from there China(1937).

Many people remember the horrible events that passed during the holocaust, but few remember what the Japanese did, Sack of Nan King anyone?

oipolloi

Japan also invaded Borneo (owned by Britian at the time) and threatened Australia (i think they had left the British empire but where still "protected" by it at the time), which drew Britian into the battle in the far east (though it mostly involved America, for obvious reasons), but most of thier good equipment like ships and aircraft was in Europe fighting the Nazis. I think thier main fighter planes in the far east where trainers from the 20's, with crappy guns that where only designed to shoot holes in balsa wood targets.

Until the early 80's in Britian Japanese stuff was very unpopular, because of extreme mistreatment of POWS. Even the Nazis treated enemy combatants mostly according to the law (ie proper beds, food and associations.... though mass executions did go on). But Japan pretty much used them as slaves, my old headmaster at school said an ex soldier who used to work there actually attacked somebody for buying a Datsun (Nissan).

DareYokel
so your saying we should forget those men who fought for us everyday americans and risked there lives and leave it all behind us and act like nothing ever happened?

And you`re saying Americans were the only one who fought. I tought British people won the war but you seem to know better now, right. Don`t do that man.

Carbine23

And you`re saying Americans were the only one who fought. I tought British people won the war but you seem to know better now, right. Don`t do that man.

??? im trying to say respect all man.........and the russians were the ones that fought and suffered the most than the americans.....the british were also brave for they fought longer than us and successfully defended there island.....the chinese were slaughtered by the japanese, beheaded and used for bayonet practicing.....the french lost their land but the resistance did anything they could to kill germans same with the Dutch..the polish fought and lost their land but fought in normandy and market garden and were great help....the finish did everything they could to stop stalin's men from capturing there country and successfully they won most battles but they settled with a treaty...everybody fought in world war 2........but in my opinion the russians are the ones that most of us are forgetting......

DareYokel
but in my opinion the russians are the ones that most of us are forgetting......

forget the Russians lmao....classic

eyeswideshut

I had WW2 pounded into my head all this year in my Honors U.S. History Class. Any high school kid on here will know all about WW2 but things are forgotten overtime like in a couple years I wont know about the Battle of Leyte Gulf or Midway anymore.

Cypress Hill

??? im trying to say respect all man.........and the russians were the ones that fought and suffered the most than the americans.....the british were also brave for they fought longer than us and successfully defended there island.....the chinese were slaughtered by the japanese, beheaded and used for bayonet practicing.....the french lost their land but the resistance did anything they could to kill germans same with the Dutch..the polish fought and lost their land but fought in normandy and market garden and were great help....the finish did everything they could to stop stalin's men from capturing there country and successfully they won most battles but they settled with a treaty...everybody fought in world war 2........but in my opinion the russians are the ones that most of us are forgetting......

The Russians were probably the worst army in the entire war. The Germans literally slaughtered them in massive numbers. When the Germans lost, they didn't really lose to the Russian troops, they lost to cold weather and starvation. The only reason the Russians were able to push back the Germans was because they had so many people they could just keep throwing bodies at the Germans.

You're right that many different countries fought in the war, but you can't deny that the US involvement shifted the odds overwhelmingly. Without the American manpower it would have been virtually impossible for the allies to establish a front in western Europe, and the Germans could have focused on Russia and it is very likely that they would have beaten the soviets. This would have left Germany, with control over all of mainland Europe, against Britain and the French foreign legion. If this had happened I would've put my money on the Germans. So you can't really say that the allies would've won anyway without the US, becuase there's a very good chance they wouldn't have.

ToyMachine

In order to properly understand World War II one has to forget everything he or she learned from textbooks and do research by themselves. It's all connecting the dots.

It can be said (which I believe also) that WW2 started for the same reason WW1 did, in a sense that if it wasn't for the first one, the second one would've never occured.

Carbine23 has already shown that he has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to the reasons for the war. The correct reasons have been given in this topic. Dills hit it right on the head.

But prolonging of the war can be attributed to every single "major power" during the war. Britain was blinded by its own untouchablity, as was France in a sense. The policy of appeasment got Europe into deeper sh*t than it already was in.

While Carbine23 was vaguely right when he said that the war began with the German invasion of Poland, that statement is only true on the literal level. Britain declared war on Germany after the event occured but in reality the war was well on its way.

Poland was greatly sh*tted on by the Allies during the war. Poland lost the war on paper before Germany even invaded. The truth is Poland's military deserves more credit than it gets in Western sources. Before invasion, France told Poland that they would be ready to send troops over within 2 weeks of mobilization. Once the invasion started, Britain declared war on Germany but failed to help. France failed to send any troops over. Poland was left alone to fight Germany by itself. It can be argued that if the war was fought 1 on 1 Poland-Germany, the invasion of Poland would've ended in a stalemate. But Poland had the Russians knocking on its eastern door. Any country in the world at that time would fall to Germany and Russia on both sides. It took 32 days for Poland to fully surender. The help it was promised never came.

The point I'm trying to make is that you can't digest everything as it is written. The war did not start with the invasion of Poland. Germany lost 40% of its air force with the invasion, lost most of its 45 Mark 3 and 45 Mark 4 vehicles and the Polish military was far from destroyed. Over 84,000 Polish troops went all over Europe to fight.

Polish aviators had the most kills in the RAF during the Battle of Britain. One could only wonder what would've happened if Britain and France came through with their promises.

I'm sorry for going off on a tangent about Poland here but due to nationalism and love of WW2 history I thought this topic was a good place to post it.

stretch.

Little Known Fact:

Hitler wanted to take over england and set up base in Quarry Hill Flats in Leeds, as it was a "central and well defendable location" before launching an attack on america.

Cool huh?

Discussion forum to do with Hitler's plans for quarry hill

Andyzoot

Little known fact.

Hitler wanted to make Berlin the capital of the world and he wanted a huge dome right in the middle. When I say huge I MEAN HUGE!!!!

So they done some tests to see if the Berlin soil would be able to support the Dome. The test found that it wouldn't and that if built the Dome would collapse.

Kinda makes you wish he had gone along with it. dozingoff.gif

stretch.

Now, It might just be me, but the little known obscure facts, are what made world war 2 interesting.

Davo the Assassin

Am I right in saying that if Operation Sea Lion had resulted in a land attack against the British, that we'd have a good chance of fighting um off? I learnt somewhere that once they'd made a beach head, and fought inland, chances are the British forces would halt them at a defence line just past the border of Kent (Or something). Once halted, the Royal Navy would cut of their supply lines, and eventually the occupying Nazi forces would be forced to surrender. Bear in mind it was a LONG time ago I heard that, but it seemed pretty logical.

Anyone wanna shed any light for me, I'm insanely interested about the Second World War.

All-Blacks

Little known fact:

After the Italian Armistice in 1943, thousands of Italians volunteered to fight for the Allies. wink.gif

ToyMachine

Little known fact.

Germany had prepared warheads with poisonous gasses ready to be launched at England. England was aware of this and they prepared their own warheads ready to launch at Germany. However England had a miniscule amount compared to Germany. Hitler did not know this and did not allow the launch because he was afraid of a counterattack. If he did launch the missles, Germany most likely would've taken over England.

These poisonous gasses were later dropped into the Baltic Sea after the war and still sit there.

dills
Am I right in saying that if Operation Sea Lion had resulted in a land attack against the British, that we'd have a good chance of fighting um off? I learnt somewhere that once they'd made a beach head, and fought inland, chances are the British forces would halt them at a defence line just past the border of Kent (Or something). Once halted, the Royal Navy would cut of their supply lines, and eventually the occupying Nazi forces would be forced to surrender. Bear in mind it was a LONG time ago I heard that, but it seemed pretty logical.

Anyone wanna shed any light for me, I'm insanely interested about the Second World War.

I saw a documentary a while back about a supposed Nazi sea landing on the south coast. My memory of it is a little hazy, but apparently a small Nazi landing force landed somewhere down south, but Britain had prepared for a sea invasion by having oil lines underwater that released oil into the sea and these oil spills could then be set alight. I think it said that some charred Nazi bodies were found along the coastline, although this way have just been war time propaganda.

Davo the Assassin

That I didn't know, but it sounds like a bloody good idea, hmmm.

Yeh, it would of been interesting (In a retrospective manner of course, I don't find the thought of thousands potentially dying interesting.) to see what would of become of the war had the Nazi's invaded Britain. Although I know we didn't win the war, but I feel we went along way in keeping the Allies in the war.

ToyMachine

Yeh, it would of been interesting (In a retrospective manner of course, I don't find the thought of thousands potentially dying interesting.) to see what would of become of the war had the Nazi's invaded Britain. Although I know we didn't win the war, but I feel we went along way in keeping the Allies in the war.

Maybe. Or maybe England relied on everyone else to win the war.

Davo the Assassin

I think it's a pretty big a task to ask, for Britain on her own to have defeated the Nazi war effort, even if it was engaged with the Russians also.

Perhaps not, but I see it so.

Lioshenka

The Russians were probably the worst army in the entire war. The Germans literally slaughtered them in massive numbers. When the Germans lost, they didn't really lose to the Russian troops, they lost to cold weather and starvation. The only reason the Russians were able to push back the Germans was because they had so many people they could just keep throwing bodies at the Germans.

You're right that many different countries fought in the war, but you can't deny that the US involvement shifted the odds overwhelmingly. Without the American manpower it would have been virtually impossible for the allies to establish a front in western Europe, and the Germans could have focused on Russia and it is very likely that they would have beaten the soviets. This would have left Germany, with control over all of mainland Europe, against Britain and the French foreign legion. If this had happened I would've put my money on the Germans. So you can't really say that the allies would've won anyway without the US, becuase there's a very good chance they wouldn't have.

they were in the first couple of years. then all the plants were relocated into Siberia and hundreds of new inventions (like weapons and stuff) were made. As Churchill said: "Stalin received Russia with a plough and left it with a nuclear bomb". Again, Cold War started after WW2, which means, that Americans were scared of the power of USSR back then which again means Soviet army by the end of the war was the best one.

As far as i am concerned Russian Army killed 808 percent of Nazis, then goes UK with 5 percent, France and USA with 3 percents each and then others... can not find confirmation though

Anyway, USA couldnt play such a great role in defeating Nazis. Japan - yes, they did most of it. But nazis were defeated by Soviet Troops in Stalingrad battle which made it possible for British and French to attack from the West. As far as i know, americans supplied USSR with vehicle parts, but they were not good for the landscape and were impossible to repair quickly. British tanks were more durable and also parts could be received quicker, which means GB played much more significant role in defeating Hitler than USA.

ANd no matter who played the greater part.. we should respect veterans, no matter where they are from, how old they are etc... RIP those who died for our freedom...

Edited by ˸øåíüêà

Mokiesmoky

my great grandfatehr died in world war 2 confused.gif

sorry if that's irrelevant to this topic moto_whistle.gif

Carbine23

Britain had plenty of advantages against the Germans..........the biggest one was that they were an island which made it hard for hitler to get his tanks across and it was well defended so they couldn't use boats..........

When france needed help, britain sent almost all of their soldiers to France but Germany had already controlled France and Britain had no chance so they were trapped on the beaches........luckily Hitler stupidly didn't attack the british because he thought they were secretly tricking the germans.....luckily the british brought ships over and brung the british back leaving all of their equipment there.......

The same thing happened with Stalingrad.....he could have just gone around city because behind the city was oil and other resources hitler needed....but he wanted to attack the city because the name Stalin was in stalingrad......

ToyMachine

I think it's a pretty big a task to ask, for Britain on her own to have defeated the Nazi war effort, even if it was engaged with the Russians also.

The truth is England did not respond when it had the chance. It was the only western European country that had any leverage. Instead they chose to appease Hitler by giving him chunks of land and later breaking their promise to be proactive in case Hitler moves any further.

Poland was invaded but no help was sent. A naval or aerial effort could've fended the Germans off. I'm not saying this was only Britain's fault since France was the main offender here but Britain takes part of the blame. Poland relied on a strategic naval and air campaign. A bombing campaign would cripple Germany's ability to supply troops and demoralize the population. A tiny setback at this time could force Hitler to stop all progress and think things through.

Not helping Poland bit the western Allies in the ass. Hitler who was flushed with success ordered an immediate attack to the West. Germany could've been defeated on the Eastern front if the Allied powers came through with their promises.

Europe would've been f*cked without US support. Quite honestly, the US could've easily took sides with Germany (as controversial as it may sound). Hitler's biggest mistake of the war was declaring war on the US. Hitler believed that the war in the Pacific would tie up all American resources but miscalculated. He was even quoted as saying that the war against America was a tragedy and that "Germany and the United States should have been able to support each other without undue strain on either of them."

Great Britain was actually on the verge of losing the war a couple of times if it wasn't for Hitler's mistakes.

@ Carbine23- Stop posting, you're killing my brain cells. God forbid some 13 year old reads your posts.

Edited by ToyMachine

Davo the Assassin

The truth is England did not respond when it had the chance. It was the only western European country that had any leverage. Instead they chose to appease Hitler by giving him chunks of land and later breaking their promise to be proactive in case Hitler moves any further.

Poland was invaded but no help was sent. A naval or aerial effort could've fended the Germans off. I'm not saying this was only Britain's fault since France was the main offender here but Britain takes part of the blame. Poland relied on a strategic naval and air campaign. A bombing campaign would cripple Germany's ability to supply troops and demoralize the population. A tiny setback at this time could force Hitler to stop all progress and think things through.

Not helping Poland bit the western Allies in the ass. Hitler who was flushed with success ordered an immediate attack to the West. Germany could've been defeated on the Eastern front if the Allied powers came through with their promises.

Europe would've been f*cked without US support. Quite honestly, the US could've easily took sides with Germany (as controversial as it may sound). Hitler's biggest mistake of the war was declaring war on the US. Hitler believed that the war in the Pacific would tie up all American resources but miscalculated. He was even quoted as saying that the war against America was a tragedy and that "Germany and the United States should have been able to support each other without undue strain on either of them."

Great Britain was actually on the verge of losing the war a couple of times if it wasn't for Hitler's mistakes.

@ Carbine23- Stop posting, you're killing my brain cells. God forbid some 13 year old reads your posts.

You make a fair point. I agree on all of your points.

I also remember learning in class that had we, (Being Europe's powers) acted straight away when Hitler re-took the Rhineland, that he would of certainly lost, and would have been forced to back down.

This is all very interesting.

Carbine23

and why should i stop posting in my own topic?

Carbine23

Just saw the movie "black book"

i couldn't imagine a blonde haired (naturally black haired) blue eyed jewish girl infiltrate a Nazi base in the Netherlands, join the resistence, sleep with a nazi, fall in love with that nazi, tortured by the Danes, Lost trust for both sides of the war, and got the trust from the Resistance back

wow im confused but good movie icon14.gif