4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Carbine23

Do You know your World War 2 history?

Carbine23

K im very interested in world war 2 and i respect the veterans but people wonder around today and just think world war 2 was Pearl Harbor, The Holocaust, the Atomic Bomb and random fighting...........what about Stalingrad? D-Day? Iwo Jima? North Africa? Market Garden? Some grandparents wont even tell there experiences because they saw such terrible things......i think its important to honor those who gave their lives for us....

If you want to see historical accuracy and what really went on in World War 2....i suggest watching Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers..........(Saving Private Ryan is extremely gory in the beginning)

And for the meantime i want to see if anyone can answer these questions....ill come up with more

1. Name 3 Beaches the Allied Forces landed on in D-Day

2. What was the bloodiest battle in the war?

3. Who had the highest casualties of war?

4. What battle lasted 7 months in the Jungles of the Pacific?

5. What was the last German Counterattack of the war?

All-Blacks

1. Code names- Omaha, Gold, Juno, Sword, Utah. Don't know the real beaches' names myself.

2. How can you answer that? I'd say battle of Berlin, Stalingrad were pretty deadly, but really all of the battles were don't you think?

3. Germany? Soviet Union? Defininately either of those. Britain would be up there.

4. Don't know much about the Pacific War, mainly Europe.

5. Had to be the Western Front, the war was basically lost against the Soviet Union by then, stupid mistake by Hitler into Eastern Front.

GTA3Freak-2001

You do realise you are asking this on a Internet forum, with a little help from Wikipedia and Google gives you the answers instantly.

Raindancer

user posted image

My nan served in the munitions factories in London during the war. Lots of story about dodging falling bombs and gathering on the underground at night with 2000 random strangers. Sing-a-longs, sharing food. Could not imagine people coming together like this in this day.

makeshyft

I think it's pretty presumptuous to assume none of us know anything about WWII. I also agree that it's plain silly asking people questions online, with reference sources only a few keystrokes away.

vininfinite

Maybe he just believes in trust and honor, or maybe he's an idiot.

a_fool_from_edinburgh

I not 'interested' as such in ww2 but i have read a large amount of books on the subject, so ill answer your questions for the hell of it. WW2 shaped the course of the 20th century and made it 'america's century' though it would look to me like its gonna be china's century pretty soon, anyway yeh.

1. Omaha, Utah, Sword, Gold, Juno

2. IMO the 'bloodiest' battle was when the russians took Berlin, man they properly f*cked that city up totally and utterly raped and pillaged the whole place. Stalingrad was a long hard fought battle as well. Im not particularly sure o actual casulty numbers mind

3.Id guess probably the russians had the highest causalties if you exclude the jews that is! though I remeber reading somewhere that some people thank that up to 3million of the jews were russian anyway.

4.Not to sure on pacific either, europe and north africa i know more about. Though maybe ill hazard a guess and say it was in malaysia or the philipines?

5.hmmm I think the last major german counter offensive was in the Ardennes in 1944 known as the 'battle of the bulge'

For thos who care i didn't use wiki or anything else other than my own mind

Hayden Stasven

1. Dunno.

2. Dunno.

3. Dunno.

4. Kokoda?

5. No idea.

No.1 Loonie

Just took History 12 sooo:

1.) Omaha, Juno, Sword, Utah (just cheated a bit)

2.)I guess Stalingrad, I don't think battles are usually measured in amount of blood spilt.

3.)Soviet Union, duh

4.)The pacific you say, all I know are Leyte Gulf and Midway (all I needed for the exam)

5.)The Battle of the Bulge

Now, WWII, that's easy. What do you, Carbine23, know about the Crimean War?

Kippers

wow, i've just done my History GCSE and the only 2 questions that were actually relevent to the course were Qs 1 and 5.

Made me realise how much you dont actually talk about in the lessons.

Voodoo

You do realise you are asking this on a Internet forum, with a little help from Wikipedia and Google gives you the answers instantly.

Sounds to me like his goal was to increase awareness of WWII events. Whether people know the facts or look them up, he's accomplished his goal.

Carbine23

yes i know there were internet resources (wikipedia mainly) but i just wanted to see if anyone can get them without using them

1. Omaha, Utah and Gold

2. STALINGRAD.......2 MILLION CASUALTIES(worst in the war and human history)

3. Soviet Union

4. Guadalcanal

5. Battle of the Bulge

I think its just important to respect and honor what these men did

Im telling you watch Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers if you like blood and gore

TEoS

I think its just important to respect and honor what these men did

Im telling you watch Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers if you like blood and gore

Uh, what?

Vanzant

So let me take a wild guess (even if I'm right I know you're going to tell me I'm wrong) You saw a couple of World War II films then knowing nothing you did a huge History lesson online because before the films you knew nothing about the War yourself (see your own examples) then you thought you would raise an awareness here because you thought that maybe some 60% of our General chat section was as clueless as you were?

Anyways, no gory film or video game is ever going to give you a real experience of what it was like, but If you can find yourself a copy of The American Heritage picture History of WWII for sale somewhere it's by far one of the best reads, it's a big book though. It's got stories from people who were there and everything.

stretch.

One of my friends grandparents are of german decent, his grandmother worked in a munitions plant in germany, she almost got killed as she disagreed with the war but needed the money, so what did she do?

Sabotage the bombs.

Simple stuff like leaving out fuse wires etc.

Whereas my gran, worked in a steelworks in sheffield making munitions cases, and barbed wire.

They advised them to get into the crawlspace under the machines in event of a bombing. Interesting sh*t huh?

Carbine23
So let me take a wild guess (even if I'm right I know you're going to tell me I'm wrong) You saw a couple of World War II films then knowing nothing you did a huge History lesson online because before the films you knew nothing about the War yourself (see your own examples) then you thought you would raise an awareness here because you thought that maybe some 60% of our General chat section was as clueless as you were?

Anyways, no gory film or video game is ever going to give you a real experience of what it was like, but If you can find yourself a copy of The American Heritage picture History of WWII for sale somewhere it's by far one of the best reads, it's a big book though. It's got stories from people who were there and everything.

nah i learned about world war 2 in school this year...........and yes no movie will ever decpict what really happened there BUT Band of Brothers is all true....even the veterans who saw the series said it was all true and it was NOT hollywood........and if you tell me everybody thinks the americans went through hell but what about the Russians they lost 20 million guys............we lost 350,000?

darthYENIK

Why didn't you ask hard questions? I got them all without a thought.

I'm a history nerd, but all you need to know this stuff is watch the military channel for a half an hour late at night.

You should have asked stuff like, what was the name of Germany's operation to invade England. Or where did allied forces first land during the invasion of Italy? Look them up.

Carbine23
Why didn't you ask hard questions? I got them all without a thought.

I'm a history nerd, but all you need to know this stuff is watch the military channel for a half an hour late at night.

You should have asked stuff like, what was the name of Germany's operation to invade England. Or where did allied forces first land during the invasion of Italy? Look them up.

Good Idea.......

1. What were the number of deaths in ww2

2. What was Rommel nicknamed in Africa

3. What tactics did Germans use.....basically in the eastern front

4. What started the war

5. What was the name of the operation for D-Day

6. Who planned out Market Garden

whatever use internet resources if you want

b!gfatgoon

1. What were the number of deaths in ww2 - Over 62 million, I think.

2. What was Rommel nicknamed in Africa - Desert Fox

3. What tactics did Germans use.....basically in the eastern front - Blitzkrieg

4. What started the war - Not just one thing, idiot

5. What was the name of the operation for D-Day - Overlord

6. Who planned out Market Garden - Monty

Sea Lion and Salerno respectively, btw Darth (with two decoys somewhere I don't remember.)

I rawk.

Bigs

4. What started the war - A variety of things. Going off of knowledge from the World History course I took last semester: Germany got f*cked on the treaty that ended WWI (I can't recall the name, was it Versais or something like that?). The allies blamed the war completely on them and they made the treaty so that Germany would have to pay all of the damages and it sent their economy straight to hell. They were told they couldn't build up an army and many other things they could not do. In all this turmoil, the Germans were desperate for a strong leader. Hitler rose to power, and he soon began disregarding the treaty guidelines. One of the last straws was when they took back the Rhineland...I think that's what it was..they took back some land that was taken away from them at the end of WWI, and that was one of the major causes of the war.

TFatseas

BlitzKreig was a myth, it wasnt a real tactic it was a propaganda term coined by Gobbels. BlitzKreig is basicly combined arms tactics. Consisting of armored spearheads with aircraft, arty and infantry in support.

Cmon its common knowledge.

Ask me anything about ww2, i promise I will answer it without looking it up.

Edited by TFatseas

MI7
4. What started the war - A variety of things. Going off of knowledge from the World History course I took last semester: Germany got f*cked on the treaty that ended WWI (I can't recall the name, was it Versais or something like that?). The allies blamed the war completely on them and they made the treaty so that Germany would have to pay all of the damages and it sent their economy straight to hell. They were told they couldn't build up an army and many other things they could not do. In all this turmoil, the Germans were desperate for a strong leader. Hitler rose to power, and he soon began disregarding the treaty guidelines. One of the last straws was when they took back the Rhineland...I think that's what it was..they took back some land that was taken away from them at the end of WWI, and that was one of the major causes of the war.

Aye that's pretty close. Hitler disregarded a large number of the terms of the Treaty of Versailles like not paying reparations, withdrawing from the League of Nations after Gustav Streismann had gotten them membership and of course totally ignoring the 100,000 soldier etc cap on his arms.

He then overturned a lot of the territorial changes brought about by Versailles like remilitarising the Rhineland (still a part of Germany, but no troops were allowed to be placed there), forcing an Aschluss with Austria and taking over first the Sudetenland region of Czecholovakia, followed by the rest of the country. In the meantime Chamberlain (British Primeminister) was pretty much going along with Hitler because he wanted to use him as an ally against Stalin/Communism in Russia. France didn't want to act without Britain and of course Russia pretty much didn't give a sh*t as long as Hitler didn't turn his attention to them (re: Nazi-Soviet Pact in 1939).

Things didn't really get serious til Hitler took over Czechoslovakia in 1938 at which point Chamberlain was all but prepared for war. However, he ended up pretty much agreeing to give Hitler the country without counselling the Czechoslovakian leader, Benez, at all.

By this point Hitler thought he could get away with whatever he wanted so he made an agreement with Russia to divide Poland between them and prompty rolled his tanks into the Polish Corridor and Danzig to reuinify main Germany and East Prussia. However, this really pissed off Britain because they had promised to protect Poland (similar to Britain upholding the Treaty of London to protect Belgium which led to WW1) and they promptly declared war on Germany.

Oh and most of your questions are pretty ridiculous.

Carbine23

Sorry dont call me an idiot............there were a number of reasons why the war started but im talking about when it OFFICALLY started which was the German invasion of Poland and yes its basically France, Britains and Italys fault ww2 started (No offense)......they wouldn't agree with Wilson who wanted to help Germany and set up the league of nations but instead europe tortured germany and got them so angry that hitler rose up and wanted revenge.........if they would've accepted the 14 points than maybe this wouldn't have happened..........but World War 1 was definitely meant to happen.....

MI7
Sorry dont call me an idiot............there were a number of reasons why the war started but im talking about when it OFFICALLY started which was the German invasion of Poland and yes its basically France, Britains and Italys fault ww2 started (No offense)......they wouldn't agree with Wilson who wanted to help Germany and set up the league of nations but instead europe tortured germany and got them so angry that hitler rose up and wanted revenge.........if they would've accepted the 14 points than maybe this wouldn't have happened..........but World War 1 was definitely meant to happen.....

If you're going to play the "World War Two was caused by the Treaty of Versailles being too harsh" card, the blame rests solely with Clemenceau and France. They were the ones concerned about inflicting damage on Germany so that they couldn't attack France again. While Lloyd-George was very vocal in public about his wishes for a harsh Treaty on Germany due to the upcoming General Election, in reality he agreed with Wilson and attempted to have Clemenceau soften the Treaty.

dills

Italy were not involved with the Treaty of Versailles.

Also, there were many more contributions to Hitler's rise to power than the German people's outrage at the Treaty of Versailles.

Carbine23

Also, there were many more contributions to Hitler's rise to power than the German people's outrage at the Treaty of Versailles.

yes they were they wanted land after world war 1 but they were never promised it after the treaty so they went to facism and became allies with hitler...........

and yes there were many reasons

....he grew up with a abusive father

....his mother died and he was very close to her

....he didnt make it into art school

....he fought in world war 1

....The Treaty of Versailles

....He basically becamed outraged and thought germany should be the power of the world (even though he was austrian......hehe im part austrian too) he wrote all his ideas in his book mein kompf (or somethin like that)

Edited by Carbine23

dills

yes they were they wanted land after world war 1 but they were never promised it after the treaty so they went to facism and became allies with hitler...........

Italy left the negotiations of the treaty after having their claim for territory rejected, although they did sign the treaty when it was finalised in June, they did not have any say in the final stipulations of the treaty, so no, I wouldn't really say they had a great deal to do with the treaty in the end.

EDIT: Do I really have to bother explaining Hitler's rise to power, seeing as your reasons are moronic.

Andyzoot

Hitler didn't get into Art School? So that suddenly made him rise to power?!

There were many reasons for Hitler rising to power. One of the biggies was Nazi Party deciding to try and take control of Germany politically rather than with brute force (a la Munich Putsch)

Another reason would be the failure of the Weimar Republic who could not keep Germany under control apart from the aforementioned Stresemann years.

Hitler's propaganda machine. Goebbels was a damn good man to have by your side. He had cheap radios out to all the German people so they could tune into Hitler's broadcasts and to spread the word.

The SA. They intimidated people at elections and tried to force people into voting for the Nazis.

Some parties leaving the Government. I'll be honest in that I can't remember who it was that left. But some parties left the Government alone to face the Nazis in a two horse race.

The Reichstag Fire. Another biggie led to the Communist Party being kicked out after it was claimed that Van Der Lubbe (the fire starter) was a Communist. Also led to Hitler having an act passed called the Enabling Act which basically let Hitler do anything he wanted.

Finally when Hitler had become Chancellor, President Hindenburg (the only man above Hitler) died and so Hitler joined the two positions together to become "Mein Fuhrer"

There are some more but those are all I can remember from mein history lessons.

I'm sure Svip will be in shortly to sh*t all over this topic.

MI7

and yes there were many reasons

....he grew up with a abusive father

....his mother died and he was very close to her

....he didnt make it into art school

....he fought in world war 1

....The Treaty of Versailles

....He basically becamed outraged and thought germany should be the power of the world (even though he was austrian......hehe im part austrian too) he wrote all his ideas in his book mein kompf (or somethin like that)

I could be wrong here but I think dills was referring more to the economic collapse of Germany brought about by the Great Depression making Germans long for a strong leader along with the repeated failures of the Weimar Republic such as Hyperinflation, numerous uprisings and Putschs' including Hitler himself and passive resisitance in Ruhr; coupled with other later events which solidified Hitler's power such as the Reichstag Fire and Night of the Long Knives, rather than Hitler having a rough childhood which I have never heard before...

Italy's fall to Fascism was more down to the King's reliance on Mussolini.

Oddsock
K im very interested in world war 2 and i respect the veterans but people wonder around today and just think world war 2 was Pearl Harbor, The Holocaust, the Atomic Bomb and random fighting...........what about Stalingrad? D-Day? Iwo Jima? North Africa? Market Garden? Some grandparents wont even tell there experiences because they saw such terrible things......i think its important to honor those who gave their lives for us....

If you want to see historical accuracy and what really went on in World War 2....i suggest watching Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers..........(Saving Private Ryan is extremely gory in the beginning)

And for the meantime i want to see if anyone can answer these questions....ill come up with more

1. Name 3 Beaches the Allied Forces landed on in D-Day

2. What was the bloodiest battle in the war?

3. Who had the highest casualties of war?

4. What battle lasted 7 months in the Jungles of the Pacific?

5. What was the last German Counterattack of the war?

1. Beaches: Utah, Omaha, and Gold. Sword was British and Juno was Canadian if I remember correctly.

2. Bloodiest battle - Stalingrad.

3. Highest casualties - I'm going to say Russia.

4. Seven month battle - Guadalcanal (guess, second guess would be the Phillipines).

5. Last German counterattack - "Battle of the Bulge" (guess).