Savegame problem

desert_eagle

desert_eagle

Hi,

I recently installed GTA SA on my new notebook. It works fine, but I tried to download several savegames since I did not feel like going through the whole storyline again and they don\t work. The game detects the savegames but when I open them the game just starts from the beginning, what could be the problem? Also I tried to install the 1.01 patch but when I open it nothing happens. I am running Vista by the way.

Your probably downloading the wrong save games for your San Andreas version. If you have a version 1 game and downlaod version 2 saves, then when you come to play them the game will crash and Vicea-versa.

s0h607k.jpg

desert_eagle

I tried downloading savegames of every version I could find but every time it just starts at the airport again. And is there an update for 2.0 available for download by the way? I can only find the no more hot coffee patch and as I said that does not seem to work on Vista.

Ring_of_Fire

I've heard that you have to worry about the [.scm] files as well in addition to the [.exe] for the saves to work. Is that true?

If so, then I guess the downgrader is not enough and you'll need to just buy the correct version of the game. Or probably replace the files if you're lucky... moto_whistle.gif

Anyway, what version of San Andreas do you have? If you have v1.0 - 1.01, then all those saves of course will work. If you have v2.0 - 2.01 San Andreas, then those saves will work for it. It's just that many people bought SA when it first came out, so it will be very hard to find a v2 save.

Best advice? - just don't worry about it and play the game from the very beginning. Your saves is sure to work.

I tried downloading savegames of every version I could find but every time it just starts at the airport again.

That's impossible - it's like you copy and pasted your own save files and then you complain that it doesn't work.

I am running Vista by the way.

That could be a problem too. But I've heard that the saves files go into the Data directory of SA if there's no "My Documents" folder. I suppose it would be a nice idea to see if creating a new "My Documents" folder into your account profile folder will work.

I'm having the same problem on XP. I try to load my old saves, and it just starts a new game. I just reinstalled last night. Sucks too. I had gotten like about 60% through without cheats.

Ring_of_Fire

What happens if you create a new one (by starting a new game), save, and load it back?

I just tried it. It works. A new game that is. But I've downloaded a save from where I left off last time. And the save for version 1 and 2 will not work.

Ring_of_Fire

I just tried it. It works. A new game that is. But I've downloaded a save from where I left off last time. And the save for version 1 and 2 will not work.

Try putting the correct version saves you downloaded into the same directory that the new game is. Try do a Windows search.

OK, make sure you are obviously downloading the saves from the GTAForums website. Now when you download it, right-click the file and make sure you uncheck "Read-only". Apply & OK. Confirm that it has the [.b] extension with the filename of "GTAsf", and place that save file into the directory that the save files go in for San Andreas to recognize it.

Remember that if the save and the game version matches, the saves should work! How do you think SnP helpers are helping out people around here?

Edited by Ring_of_Fire

desert_eagle

The problem is not that the game does not recognize the saves, they all just start at the beginning again where CJ arrives in LS. The games I saved myself since the install work fine, but not the downloaded ones. The game saves into the documents / gta san andreas user files directory by the way, not in the game directory.

Ring_of_Fire

Maybe the save you downloaded all start in LS (the beginning). tounge.gif

Did you try these saves? It should have at least a mission name, and once opened - should not start at the airport.

A little experiment: why don't you try starting a new game, finish a couple mission, save and load it back?

And the save for version 1 and 2 will not work.

notify.gif Seddo must be mad right now.

The games I saved myself since the install work fine

Try to delete the...

Edited by Ring_of_Fire

desert_eagle

Like I said, the games I saved myself since the install work fine. And the downloaded savegames also have mission names, ones I recognize as from being later in the game, yet all of them start out at the beginning of the storyline when I load them.

Ring_of_Fire

This sounds ridiculous to the point where I have to recommend this: Uninstall/Reinstall the game, delete [.set] file, and download the correct version save here. Now place it into "My Documents" -> "GTA San Andreas User Files".

Wait a minute, try doing this:

Right-click file... go to properties... make sure that read-only is unchecked as well as clicking on Unblock. Apply & OK. This must work! moto_whistle.gif

See, I have asked you what version of San Andreas you had a long time ago and you didn't responded. Read each and every page in the link I gave to you - this is why you can't save! Everybody's having the same problem as you. Some v2 saves just simply refuse to work, but according to pdescobar, they work for most people. Now you see the reason(s) why reading pinned threads are important? sigh.gif

Edited by Ring_of_Fire

It wasn't working before. So I reinstalled because of a few other problems to. So?

Oh yeah, version 2. I have been downloading those saves.

I had a version 2 game save installed. And I downgraded to v1, so I could use a teleporter. I went in game. I wanted to see if I could run it. And oddly enough it worked. Why do you suppose that is?