Power Supply

cybercheese

cybercheese

Hi guys, I'm in the process o upgrading my dell dimension 4600, which has a shaudy 250 watt power supply.

I was hoping you could help me choose a good one with plenty of power to last me into the next generation of directX(10) and to power my new graphics card, sound card, RAM and possibly even a moBo?

I saw this one and thought it looked cheap and good but i was put of by the fact of how cheap it was cant be that good (click) - check it out

Any help is greaty apprieciated but i am on quite a small budget 40 quid is the most i am really ready to pay for this component.

Thanks in advance.

If you happen to need any specifications on my computer here it is

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-dime...09.html?tag=sub

Edited by cybercheese

One thing you should not go cheap on is a Power Supply. I've never even heard of SumVision.

I would go with this one http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/124922

I wouldn't spend less than 20 on one though.

Cheap PSU's can cause a variety of system problems, most importantly stability.

cybercheese

OK thanks for the advice - i think i will just go with this one - looks to have all the right connections - thanks.

The PSU that you posted would probably be great for your current system, but if you upgraded your graphics card, it would probably crash all the time. I'm only judging by price, because I can't find any detailed specs on that site.

You need to find out how many amps are on the 12V line, to make a proper descision. For any decent DX9 graphics card (Geforce 6800 - 7800), you should have at least 12V@20A, for a Direct X 10 grahics card (Geforce 8800, etc) it should probably be at least 12V@25A, maybe more.

Again, I'm only judging by price and the few specs I could find, but the one Primer posted looks much better than the one you posted.

Believe me, I went through hell when I got my new graphics card. Games would play for a few minutes, then crash. I had to buy/return three power supplies before I got the right one. Mine has dual 12V rails, one is 12V@20A and the other 12V@25A, and it fixed all of the crashing problems I had before. Hope you have good luck with your upgrading smile.gif

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.