Adam Dunbar

Adam Dunbar

Hi

My specs are (PC):

Windows XP

Athlon 2700XP

1 GB DDR RAM

6800GT graphics

My problem is I cannot load existing or start a new game.

Ha worked without problems in the past (a year ago), but just recently (last few days) have started to play again

I have tried all the ideas mentioned in the forum except the official patch. There is also a dll file or something but cannot find the relevant thread.

So could someone please let me know if poss. about this file, so I can delete it.

All the problems seemed to have stemmed from the dreaded Cherry Poppers garage save, which initially meant I could not load that saved game.

Since then, the problem spread, in that I could not load any saved game.

Recently the problem has spread further, in that I now cannot even start a new game (pink bar stops just after starting). I have used CD Check to see if copy is corrupted - no errors.

The common element in all these problems is that an "unhandled excpetion" has always been present together with "Microsoft has encountered a problem".

This is a new legal and unmodded copy by the way

Would it be worth purchasing a new copy from Game? (seen one for £10).

I get this too when playing VC. When I load up a save, I have a little chance of that happening. here is what you can do:

Try turning the Frame Limiter Off.

Re-Install VC.

If you downloaded a game save, make sure it is the same version of VC that you have.

Try to load a save multiple times. (Worked 4 me)

Delet the gta_vc.set file in your GTA Vice City User Files folder.

The new game problem is what happened to my PS2 version. Pink bar does not finish. That I have never had on PC VC. You migth need to buy a new one. Try cleaning up your PC by doing this:

Disk Cleanup/Defragment

Virus Checking

Delete temp files

Delete recent files

Demarest

Ha worked without problems in the past (a year ago), but just recently (last few days) have started to play again
Ye olde it worked in the past, times passes, now it doesn't work. Almost always means you're an SET deletion away from having a functioning game.

I have tried all the ideas mentioned in the forum except the official patch.  There is also a dll file or something but cannot find the relevant thread.
Never heard of any DLL issue. If the game needs one you don't have, it will tell you. "tried all the ideas" isn't specific. Does that include deleting the SET file? Does it include compatibility mode? And you'll never see a legitimate reference to the patch as it was obsolete one month after it was released.

All the problems seemed to have stemmed from the dreaded Cherry Poppers garage save, which initially meant I could not load that saved game.
The Cherry Poppers save corruption effects PS2 users only.

The common element in all these problems is that an "unhandled excpetion" has always been present together with "Microsoft has encountered a problem".
Any program crashes and that's what you'll see. It doesn't mean anything special.

Would it be worth purchasing a new copy from Game? (seen one for �10).
Of course not. Why not just make what you already have work?

Try turning the Frame Limiter Off.
The frame limiter is there for a reason and there are more complaints by people with it off than with it on. This is poor advice.

Re-Install VC.
This would be necessary if he had a virus attack or modded the game. I see no indication of either and since signs point to the SET file and re-installing doesn't touch that file, this is poor advice.

If you downloaded a game save, make sure it is the same version of VC that you have.
Good advice... except that he already stated it happens on new games too, so this isn't the problem.

Try to load a save multiple times. (Worked 4 me)
This won't work. It would only work if you had the bare minimum system requirements and one time you try to play the game while your PC is busy and another, it's free.
Adam Dunbar

Hi

Sorry about being vague as to what I've tried

I have tried the following:

SET file deleted

updated graphics driver

changed to Plug & Play mode for monitor

uninstalled/re-installed game several times

turned frame limiter on/off

changed to Windows 98 compatability - (this mended the spinning disk problem on desktop)

altered game resolution

changed desktop options (resolution/palete)

updated monitor driver

deleted installshield folder

turned off anti-aliasing

I did a system search for "secdrv" and found 2, but couldn't see a yellow question mark in device manager.

Have not downloaded any game save.

Ring_of_Fire

When it comes to the time of totally giving up, it comes to the time when one must use System Restore (least it's better than buying a new computer or reinstalling Windows ph34r.gif). I mean, look at all those beautiful advices you listed that didn't even work! - 'specially the deletion of the [.set] file.

To tell the truth, it's really weird for the game to just not be working all of a sudden like that when the game's files are locked onto the hard drive and stored in RAM thereafter. Plus, it worked before!

Would it be worth purchasing a new copy from Game? (seen one for £10).

No. You previously stated that your disc hasn't have any errors on it. And you game is already legit - waste of precious gaming time, effort, and money.

Windows XP

Athlon 2700XP

1 GB DDR RAM

6800GT graphics

That's not exactly all the system specs. We need things like chipset and sound drivers via (CPU-Z or dxdiag respectively).

Seeing as though this is already a giving-up situation. Try redownloading/reinstalling your drivers again. Remember as well to uninstall previous drivers (very important according to ATi/nVidia).

I'll be giving out the links of all the drivers you should have gotten already before...

Graphics driver: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_94.24.html

Sound driver: pending

Chipset driver: pending

Edited by Ring_of_Fire
Demarest
When it comes to the time of totally giving up, it comes to the time when one must use System Restore

notify.gif Most GTA issues have nothing to do with Windows. Secondly, he said it last worked right a year ago.

Though I'm actually not surprised at all to hear this from you confused.gif

Ring_of_Fire

Error messages like Unhandled Exception usually have something to do with the game's files not executing properly. It may be related to registry or file allocation problems. So System Restore should be recommended to fix these things up when editing the registry is too risky to say the least.

I have tried all the ideas mentioned in the forum except the official patch. There is also a dll file or something but cannot find the relevant thread.

There are 4 [.dll] files in this San Andreas directory that you should already have: ogg, eax, vorbisFile, and vorbis. If you have the full copy of the game, then it should have been placed there when you first installed the game. Mind to take a screenshot of the DVD box art and the discs? monocle.gif

So could someone please let me know if poss. about this file, so I can delete it.

Now why do you want to do that?

Adam Dunbar

One of my hard drives is failing, and am in the process of putting all my C: Drive (the failing one) onto a partition in the D: Drive, so everything will be on the D: Drive. This failing C: Drive does not have Vice City installed on it (it's installed on the D: Drive), but OS is installed on this failing C: drive.

Could this be a reason possibly?

Yes about that dll file: I'm sorry I might be confusing you, I read in this forum that there was a small file that in some cases of unhandled exception it has been known to cure the problem by deleting this file. Perhaps it wasn't a dll file after all.

I've looked for said thread but couldn't find it - I'll look again.

Ring_of_Fire

One of my hard drives is failing, and am in the process of putting all my C: Drive (the failing one) onto a partition in the D: Drive, so everything will be on the D: Drive.  This failing C: Drive does not have Vice City installed on it (it's installed on the D: Drive), but OS is installed on this failing C: drive.

Could this be a reason possibly?

No, I don't think so because I installed a GTA game on a secondary hard drive before and no problems. All the files that came with it weren't touched. A good idea though would be to install an actual OS on the D: drive. When hard drive is failing, "bad sectors/clusters/FATs" come into mind. If the game is having difficulties putting some of the files in memory that are on the C: drive (My Documents, Windows etc.) it may obviously crash. Your job is to install an OS on the D: drive and boot it up from there.

Yes about that dll file: I'm sorry I might be confusing you, I read in this forum that there was a small file that in some cases of unhandled exception it has been known to cure the problem by deleting this file.  Perhaps it wasn't a dll file after all.

I've looked for said thread but couldn't find it - I'll look again.

Maybe replace? I think it was mentioned in one of the pinned topics of the troubleshooting section. (Sorry it was SA I was referring to) And remember that you can easily do a GTAForums search or Google search.

One of my hard drives is failing, and am in the process of putting all my C: Drive (the failing one) onto a partition in the D: Drive, so everything will be on the D: Drive.

No! Start over fresh - or else corrupt files will be on the non-failing one, thus, same problem.

Edited by Ring_of_Fire
  • 2 weeks later...
Adam Dunbar

I've noticed that whenever I install Vice City, the sound on my PC goes all echoing and strange. This affects other games and also the sounds Windows make when entering websites etc.

As soon as I uninstall Vice City, this problem completely goes away and the sound returns to normal.

This has happened each time so is not just a coincidence.

Could the problem of Vice City not running therefore be because of sound card driver or something similar. I have updated sound card driver though and still game will not run. I updated it by using the wizard in Control Panel - Sound and Audio devices - clicking on SB Live! value.

Is there a more efficient way of updating driver perhaps. It did not give me the option of uninstalling previous version first though, so I presume it has just overwritten it.

Demarest
You don't uninstall old drivers, just old software. If you've updated your drivers, you'll need to also delete your SET file. If the sounds in Windows goes bonkers after installing VC, try rebooting after installing VC and seeing if the problem persists.
Ring_of_Fire

Is there a more efficient way of updating driver perhaps. It did not give me the option of uninstalling previous version first though, so I presume it has just overwritten it.

By uninstalling any old driver first from Add/Remove Programs without depending on the software to do it automatically for you. Now update the sound driver here http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/ (only for your correct model/OS), and then delete the [.set] file as suggested by... uhh - Demarest.

You don't uninstall old drivers, just old software.

You actually do both! Because when you download "drivers", they come along with additional "software" such as Realtek Sound Manager/Creative Audio Console/nVidia Control Panel/ATi Catalyst Control Center. Uninstalling the softwares only, doesn't remove the drivers. moto_whistle.gif

Adam Dunbar, reading the support guidelines on the game's publisher website is extremely important. This is how you go about fixing your problem -> http://www.rockstargames.com/support/req_s...tar_Games,gtavc

I'm getting an "Unhandled Exception" error when trying to install or play the game.

There are a variety of issues that may be causing you to have this Unhandled Exception problem. Please read through the list below for some possible solutions.

--If cheat codes have been used, and you have saved your game after the cheat code has been used (even if you disabled the cheat before saving), there is a strong possibility that the data used in that save game has become corrupted; this will sometimes cause an Unhandled Exception error if you try to load the game. We recommend that if you feel it necessary to use cheats, you should not save the game. These cause a number of unpredictable results, and basically take the game out of our control. Delete any save games that have had cheat codes used in them.

--A third-party feature pack for streaming video files, called "Nimo Codec Pack," has been known to cause a number of different problems when trying to install and run GTA: Vice City. If you do have this installed, we recommend uninstalling the Nimo Codec Pack, then try to install the game.

If you are certain you do not have the Nimo Codec Pack installed, and you have not used any cheat codes while loading or playing your saved games, please try the following solutions in order:

1.) Completely uninstall the game.

2.) Delete the main default game folder: C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA Vice City

3.) Delete the default installshield folder: C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information{4B35F00C-E63D-40DC-9839-DF15A33EAC46} If you do not see this folder then do the following:

Open windows explorer, go to VIEW or TOOLS, FOLDER OPTIONS, VIEW then click on the circle next to show all files. Press APPLY this then press OK you will now see the folder (it is grayed out) .

4.) Delete the save game folder in your 'My Documents' folder called 'GTA Vice City User Files.'

5.) You now will need to do a registry clean to make sure no game files were left during the uninstall. The easiest way to do this is to download a program called Regcleaner. You can download the program from here: http://www.pcmedixwebs.com/regclean.htm

6.) Reboot your system.

7.) Do a scandisk and quick defrag of your hard drive.

8.) Lower your desktop resolution for troubleshooting purposes. The game is best installing and playing the game. Go to Start, Settings, then Control Panel. Double-click the Display icon then, click the Settings Tab. For the Color Palette setting, select 16-bit High colors. (Do not use 24 or 32 bit color modes) For the Desktop Area, set it to 800 x 600. Click Apply, and restart the system if prompted.

9.) Double check your monitor settings:

A.) For Windows 9x/ME Users: Check your monitor settings by Right-clicking on the Desktop and choose Properties from the menu. Click the Settings tab, then the Advanced Properties button. Click the Monitor tab (this may say ´Unknown, Standard or Default´). Click the Change button, and after Windows builds the driver information database, select the proper monitor type (Plug And Play is usually the correct choice; check with your monitor or system manufacturer if you are unsure). Click Apply, then Ok or Close, and restart the system when prompted. Make sure only one monitor is listed and not two. Remove any other ones listed that are not the true monitor you have connected to your computer now.

B.) For Windows 2000/XP Users: First begin by right clicking on your desktop where there are no icons located and left click the Properties option. Select the Settings tab. Toward the bottom you will see a button labeled ´Advanced´. Hit that button, then select the Monitor tab. Located in that screen is a ´Properties´ button. Hit that button, then select the Driver tab. Hit the ´Update Driver´ button located in that column of buttons. The ´Hardware Update Wizard´ will now open.

On the first screen of the Wizard, there are two options that can be chosen by placing a bullet next to the selection. The default option is ´Install software automatically (Recommended)´. Please change that to the other option, which reads ´Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)´ by clicking on the sentence and placing a bullet there. Now hit the ´Next´ button.On the next screen, the Wizard will ask for your search and installation options. The selection defaults to ´Search for the best driver in these locations. ´Please change that to ´Don´t search. I will choose the driver to install´ by placing a bullet next to that option. Hit the ´Next´ button. If the Plug and Play option is there, please click on it and then hit the ´Next´ button. This will change your monitor setting to Plug and Play. If the Plug and Play option is not there, then please uncheck the box that says ´Show compatible hardware´. This will change the screen slightly to show a Manufacturer´s column, which you should change to (Standard Monitor Types). You may need to scroll up or down to do so. To the right of that, there will be a Model column. Once you have selected (Standard Monitor Types), you will now be able to choose Plug and Play under the Model section. When you have done that, please click the ´Next´ button. This will change your monitor setting to Plug and Play.

10.) Close or disable all background programs running including anti-virus, scanner software, online chat software & direct cd type programs.

11.) Reinstall GTA Vice City, then start the game.

SPECIAL NOTE: FOR NVIDIA CARDS

This error has also been fixed by turning off the antialiasing feature in the GeForce Properties window. To do this:

--Enter your Display Properties menu for your GeForce Card, and change the "Intellisample" settings to "Application." To do this:

1. Right-click on your Windows Desktop, and select "Properties" from the drop-down menu.

2. Click on the "settings" tab, found near the top of the Display Properties window, then click on the "Advanced" button.

3. Click on the GeForce FX tab near the top of the screen. This should open up a window displaying settings for your particular GeForce card. If a side-menu does not appear, click on the small green button on the left hand side of the window; a smaller window should appear on that side.

4. Click on the "Performance & Quality Settings" option.

5. On the Antialiasing Slider, click and drag the slider bar all the way to the left hand side to disable the Antialiasing. Click "OK" twice to close the windows.

Edited by Ring_of_Fire