Mac or PC?

El Smokio

Would you rather use a Mac or a PC, Personaly I would like to use a Mac, PC's Just Crash Too Much!

'THE Paulanka"

Worst. Viral. Marketing.

EVER.

Dude, come on, really. Try harder, will you?

And just in case you were being serious - it's a stretch, I know - my PC hasn't crashed in four years.

Edited by Otter

What? It's My Opinion! Sorry!

Edited by El Smokio

'THE Paulanka"

What What? It's My Opinion! Sorry!

What What? Otter has an opinion too. Sorry.

Edited by tuareg

jqmqKlq.gif

Jonny_Tightlips

Get a Mac. Nobody bothers to make viruses for us. icon14.gif

Also, you better plan to have money out the wazoo if you are.

...besides that I ain't sayin nuthin.

Mister Pink
I'm risking my great forum reputation by posting in this topic but does it have to be one or the other? I use both!

Technecly, I use both too. But, I only use A Virtual PC to Play Grand Theft Auto!

'THE Paulanka"

Well if you listen to what the comercials tell you and are a complete and utter moron who can't follow a few basic safty rules then I guess your choice would be a mac.

The only time I've ever had any of my pcs crash were when I was doing stuff I shouldn't of been, and when I was testing to see how far I could take them.

The last time I got a virus, I was doing something that almost guarenteed I would get a virus anyways. Though I got rid of the virus promptly.

Though I do enjoy laughing at Mac's comercials, but probley not for the reasons they want me to.

PC. Everything I need in a computer, PC does. Including every game I have an interest in.

Otter's right. If your PC crashes all the time, YOU are doing something wrong. I hate to point the finger, but you're talking to somebody that KNOWS that if you have a virus, it's your own damn fault. Don't go to bogus sites, don't click on every damn thing people tell you to, don't pass along everything that made one person smile at some point via email, don't allow others to do the same or even somuchas send you any bulk mailings. For that matter, don't use POP3 email at all. It's not all viruses either. With the exception of Firefox and NotePad, I don't install anything I don't have to. This includes drivers. My newest driver is for my onboard sound and that's nearly three years old. And I only did that because VC was crashing at the time due to an audio problem. I use an OS that let's ME tell it what to do, and doesn't try and think for itself. I don't bother with Quicktime, Real, or anything video related that can be laced with links, etc. The best part is, that's NOT getting heated with anti-virus, spyware hunters, and so on. That's all passive, so there's really nothing to it. The only active part in the process is selecting quality hardware with a reputation for accurate driver support. I've seen many cheap machines or machines with cheap parts act funky. Hell, that's why I haven't reinstalled my capture card since my last Windows install, which was years ago blush.gif

Oh, I've rambled. Point is that if your PC's crashing, there's a reason. Compute responsibly and it's likely to never happen.

I've been using PC's all my life, but now I'm in the market for a MacBook Pro. Although in the end every system has its advantages. Mac's are good for designing stuff, where as PC's are made for work and games.

user posted image

I like the PC better. Everything that i need and more i have on it. I have used macs at school and i find then pieces of garbage but that is my opionion.

When it comes to games PCs win and the fact that i don't have to pay more money on a game that is made for Macs.

And the damn mouse that comes with one are crap to. Just one button and it is very uncomfortable.

DVf9mQs.png

Formerly known as The General

I run both OS's on my macbook pro, though I only really use XP for AutoCAD.

4XEtraA.jpg

...Otter's right. If your PC crashes all the time, YOU are doing something wrong...

So it's MY fault that my sound card liked sharing it's IRQ channel with the firewire port and conflicts and causes Windows to throw a hissy fit and show that nice blue screen to ME, and that I can't change it becuase it's a lapotop and the BIOS doesn't support forced changing of IRQ channels, so I have to disable the firewire port for it to work.

Oh.The.Humanity cryani.gif

lolz bizzkits

@Topic: PC for me, I don't like those Macs with Meeces that have one button. turn.gif

wZVJHXg.png

PC for sure, I'm too stubborn and used to a PC and it's mechanics that switching to make will make me less of a man~

everyday an adventure, awaiting what disaster will happen next, and the excitement and thrill of researching and DIY to get things up and running smoothly again smile.gif

trial and error, an experience which makes you more knowledgeable and loved by the lesser people (aka people who keep going to you for PC help)

besides, if anything that I DID learn, if my PC mucks up~ it's most likely and 80% my fault...

never had a tremendously serious virus for a long time, again I learned how to keep viruses off my comp and how to permanently delete them if ever I do, by first getting struck by them and well, intarnetsing the know-how into mine head~

besides, imo~ mac loses on account of redundant mouse/keyboard interface... one bloody mouse button you say? what? hold down the apple key instead of control? I find it redundant simply because I'm used to working with windows and three mouse buttons (2 + 1 wheel)

4DksF.png

For me Mac and PC are both equally good. Personally, I have a Mac Mini and use a "Windows" keyboard/mouse because the Mini was meant to support any peripherals (not sure about the others, but I do agree that single button mouse sucks) (oh and the right mouse button actually works too).

I still prefer OS X though, just because I find it easy to navigate through and so far haven't had to worry about any spam/viruses. Buuuut same goes for my Windows side, no viruses or spam either.

ije3Gsb.png

I choose a PC, alwayz and 4 ever.

A Mac is a PC, don't you forget.

@ The Truth.

- A Mac never was a PC, still isn't and sure as hell it won't be; who told you that? they represent two different types of systems/machines that may have many thing in common (today), but they also have a lot of differences. A pc is much better than a mac, and also more affordable, knowing the fact that when you buy a new mac, you also buy the operating system. When you buy a pc is just that, no os' attached by force to it (so use linux cool.gif ).

*in conclusion: pc rulzz, mac sux rahkstar2.gif

I use a three button mouse when cutting with a mac, actually. I do like FCP and DVD Studio Pro, but there are adequate alternatives on PC that retain the industry standard quality.

When you say your PC Crashes. Don't you mean your Operating System Crashes. As it's been said in other posts you're obviously doing something wrong somewhere.

Also who says that Macs have less viruses than PC. My PC doesn't need AV Software. Why? I Run Linux. So please in future distinguish the difference between an OS & a hardware platform. PC's are just as safe as Macs, depending on the OS & Software. NOT The actual PC Hardware.

Sorry for the long abscence, By Crashing I Mean Programs!

'THE Paulanka"

Sorry for the long abscence, By Crashing I Mean Programs!

Then you're obviously doing something wrong.

All you need is to be able to click "next" and 99.99999% of the time it'll work, the other minute percentage, theres a hardware conflict. You never got that with mac because they all only had this or that hardware.

Also "PC" means Personal Computer, and the last time I checked that covers everything, Windows, Mac, Linux etc.

Mac is an operating system.

@ The Truth.

- A Mac never was a PC, still isn't and sure as hell it won't be; who told you that? they represent two different types of systems/machines that may have many thing in common (today), but they also have a lot of differences. A pc is much better than a mac, and also more affordable, knowing the fact that when you buy a new mac, you also buy the operating system. When you buy a pc is just that, no os' attached by force to it (so use linux cool.gif ).

Do you know what the acronym PC stands for? Also, something tells me you're way to retarded to run linux.

As for me, I'm a new mac user. I'll never run windows again, ever. Anywho, these topics are flame-bait so I'm going to step out.

EDIT: @ stretch - Mac is hardware, OS X is an operating system.

El Smokio, I don't want to sound like an asshole, but must you end every single sentence with an exclamation mark?

user posted image

The Personal Computer is much better than a Mac, that's my opinion. I have my own reasons for not liking Apple's product.

@lesfleanut:

Keep your personal comments to yourself, i did not say anyting about you, so watch it. sly.gif

Maybe he wanted to say Mac OS X, not just plain Mac.

Edited by Mitza_003

LOL! OMG! WOW! How Nice! LOL. Sorry for that.

Also can someone help me in my other topic in PC Chat.

Edited by El Smokio

'THE Paulanka"

The Personal Computer is much better than a Mac, that's my opinion. I have my own reasons for not liking Apple's product.

@lesfleanut:

Keep your personal comments to yourself, i did not say anyting about you, so watch it. sly.gif

Maybe he wanted to say Mac OS X, not just plain Mac.

Personal computers were introduced back before you were a gleam in your fathers eye... The only computers before them were huge data centers and things of that nature. Can you guess who made the first modern style PC?

My point is that a PC means any computer that is designed for personal use, aka not a huge server. Can you see where Mac fits in to that title?

Jonny_Tightlips

@ The Truth.

Um, PC means Personal Computer. And that pretty much is as broad as it gets. So when it really comes down to it, yes, Mac is a PC.

...besides that I ain't sayin nuthin.

Mitza_003 did you actually read anything posted? PC = Personal Computer, and as you've already been told that covers linux, mac and windows machines or whatever operating system you're running.

I run both, I have a iBook G4 12" which suits me for college, and other things. Runs office, VPC, photoshop etc.

I also run a PC that I use for gaming, development etc.

Had no problems with the mac, too many problems to count on the PC. And it isn't me causing the problem, all are fully virus checked, spywared etc, but still problems occur, take for example my dads computer, we rebuilt it the other day, ran fine playing games. Then suddenly it started crashing, an reinstall of the graphic drivers sorted this problem.

Mac only has to design the OS for its own hardware, and since hardware manufacturers for Mac, only have to design drivers for one OS, it makes compatabilty and driver issues less of a problem.

Windows however has to run a multitude of different hardware configurations. And problems can and will arise.

In the end, its down to what you feel comftable with, you like windows, then run windows, you like mac, run mac.

Coming From a Gamer's side of view, PC is the best choice. Upgradable Hardware, tons of different settings to choose from, runs games like a breeze and has tons of games in it's library. Whereas MAC only has a few tens-hundreds of Titles, no upgradable hardware, more expensive, You have to buy it with it's own specific OS. Boot camp does not run XP as fast as a PC would. MAC=Designers. PC=office,games .Full stop. Talking about XP VS OSX, XP is more customizable, easier to write programs for, has a multitude of uses. I'm not sure you can even run servers on a MAC. Plus a good OS does not need a GUI with crappy stuff you won't need such as fading menus, shadows and such.

Another thing which makes PC better than MAC is how they market it. MAC always has to pick on PC where as Pc doesn't. this is just one example:

user posted image

Since when did a PC come with unneded stuff? all you have to do is build/install OS and you're running.

/ventures deep inside IMAC tech specs for more proof:

Right so here's all the stuff you get with a mac:

------------------------------------------------------------

In the Box

* iMac

* Apple Keyboard

* Mighty Mouse

* Apple Remote(1)

* Power cord

* Install/restore DVDs

* Printed and electronic documentation

--------------------------------------------------------------

right so lets start.

•Apple keyboard is not really needed (1). plus there are tons of keyboards from companies such as logitech which make better, more ergonomic and more stylish keyboards (G11,G15) than Apple's

•mighty mouse [2]. CRAP I can get a better mouse for five bucks, if I want a sophisticated mouse I'd Rather opt for RAZER or logitech. so that's another unneeded piece of hardware.

• Apple remote[3]. I'v never seen people trying to use their Personal computer from a distance greater than 1-2 meters so this is another unneded thing. You can get the same crap for PC with a TV capture card.

• Install restore DVDs. No comments here as I don't know what this is for

• documentation. Needed

So that adds up to 3 things you can do without already.

Moving on

-----------------------------------------------------------

Processor and memory

* 1.83GHz, 2.0GHz, 2.16GHz or 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor

* 4MB shared L2 cache at full processor speed on iMac with 2.0GHz, 2.16Ghz, or 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor

* 2MB shared L2 cache at full processor speed on iMac with 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor

* 667MHz system bus

* 17-inch model with 1.83GHz processor

o 512MB (2x256MB) of PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 memory

o Two SODIMM slots support up to 2GB

* 17-inch model with 2.0GHz processor, 20-inch and 24-inch models

o 1GB (2x512MB) of PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 memory

o Two SODIMM slots support up to 3GB

----------------------------------------------------------------

you can only choose from 4 CPUs here and every CPU comes with its own limitations, where as on PC you can choose from 30+ intel and 30+ AMD and run what ever display,memory,speeds you want. and you can upgrade so thats another minus on mac side.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Storage

* 17-inch model

o 160GB Serial ATA 7200-rpm hard drive

o Optional 250GB and 500GB Serial ATA 7200-rpm hard drives on model with 2.0GHz processor

* 20-inch model

o 250GB Serial ATA 7200-rpm hard drive (2)

o Optional 500GB Serial ATA 7200-rpm hard drive

* 24-inch model

o 250GB Serial ATA 7200-rpm hard drive (2)

o Optional 500- or 750GB Serial ATA 7200-rpm hard drive

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

same here limitations from CPU. PC can have therabytes of storage space on any CPU/memory config, DAMN even 19"alienware laptops can have up to 500GB Raid -0 SATA 2 Hds.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Optical drive

* 17-inch model with 1.83GHz processor with slot-loading 24x Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

o Reads DVDs at up to 8x speed

o Writes CD-R discs at up to 24x speed

o Writes CD-RW discs at up to 16x speed

o Reads CDs at up to 24x speed

* 17-inch model with 2.0GHz processor, 20-inch model and 24-inch model with slot-loading 8x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

o Writes DVD+R DL discs at up to 2.4x speed

o Writes DVD-R and DVD+R discs at up to 8x speed

o Writes DVD-RW and DVD+RW discs at up to 4x speed

o Reads DVDs at up to 8x speed

o Writes CD-R discs at up to 24x speed

o Writes CD-RW discs at up to 16x speed

o Reads CDs at up to 24x speed

------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCs can already read HD DVDs and blu ray. DVD speeds are up to 16x. No limitations.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display

* Built-in 17-inch (viewable), 20-inch (viewable), or 24-inch (viewable) widescreen TFT active-matrix liquid crystal display

* Millions of colors at all resolutions

* Typical viewing angle:

o 17-inch model

+ 140° horizontal

+ 120° vertical

o 20-inch model

+ 170° horizontal

+ 170° vertical

o 24-inch model

+ 178° horizontal

+ 178° vertical

* Typical brightness: 250 cd/m (17-inch model); 280 cd/m (20-inch model); 400 cd/m (24-inch model)

* Typical contrast ratio: 500:1 (17-inch model); 800:1 (20-inch model); 700:1 (24-inch model)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pcs have 1000:1 displays ranging from 15" to as big as 40"( TV out) and you can choose from loads of different displays. Millions of colours at all res is an empty remark as even my cell phone can display 16m colours ( at one res) but PCs have the smae thing

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graphics and video

* 17-inch model with 1.83GHz processor

o Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory

* 17-inch model with 2.0GHz processor and 20-inch model

o ATI Radeon X1600 graphics processor using PCI Express

o 128MB of GDDR3 SDRAM

o Optional 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM on 20-inch model

* 24-inch model

o NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics processor with 128MB of GDDR3 SDRAM using PCI Express

o Optional NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM using PCI Express

* Mini-DVI output port with support for DVI, VGA, S-video, and composite video connections via adapter(4) iSight

* Built-in iSight camera

* Support for external display in extended desktop

o Digital resolutions up to 1920 x 1200

o Analog resolutions up to 2048 x 1536

* Support for external display in video mirroring mode

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is a major let down. you can only get 64mb DDR2 intel graphics with 1.83/17. LOADS of limitations here. PC can have any graphic card which are cheaper. or better. And they have ATi 2900 XT and 8800GTS/GTX/GTX ultra. most 7800+v have VIVO, ATi has AVIVO, HD support, HDTV ready, dual DVI.

Not to mention crossfire and SLi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Electrical and environmental requirements

* Meets ENERGY STAR requirements

* Line voltage: 100-240V AC Power cable

* Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase

* Maximum continuous power: 180W (17- and 20-inch models); 220W (24-inch model)

* Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)

* Storage temperature: -40° to 185° F (-40° to 85° C)

* Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing

* Maximum altitude: 10,000 feet

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

max power MAC can have is 220W. PCs can support up to 1000w +

they can operate at temps higher than 35 degrees. And since when are you going to use a Personal computer on a mountain or on airplanes??? that there is another unneded thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Audio

* Built-in stereo speakers

* 17-inch and 20-inch models

o Internal 12-watt digital amplifier

* 24-inch model

o Internal 24-watt digital amplifier

* Headphone/optical digital audio output (minijack)

* Audio line in/optical digital audio input (minijack)

* Built-in microphone

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCs have headsets. Creative X-Fi,sound blaster,onboard, Razer barracuda, and you can have a real suurround sound experience. enough said

Software

Universal

* Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger (includes Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat AV, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Xcode Developer Tools)

* iLife ’06 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie HD, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand), Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive, iWork (30-day trial), Big Bang Board Games, Comic Life, Omni Outliner, and Apple Hardware Test

* Front Row

* Photo Booth

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and this is where that marketing ploy shines. You can have more and better than that on Pc if you choose to. Sure those are out of the box, but again there are limitations to what you can have. Windows has millions of applications. and Works perfecty right out of the box.

So there you have it. One of the reasons why I hate MAC. to sum it up. No custimizability and marketing which makes you sad.

user posted image

user posted image

I use a three button mouse when cutting with a mac, actually. I do like FCP and DVD Studio Pro, but there are adequate alternatives on PC that retain the industry standard quality.

I saw some tutorial videos for the new version of FCP, it's finally turning into more compositing software rather than video editing, it's finally introducing proper motion tracking and 3d particles wow.gif.

Despite the new FCP, everything that I use are on both mac and PC.

No dough this post will get questions and and maybe even some fighting.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.