Take 2 refuses to clarify $50 million GTA IV deal

Mike0

Take2 refuses to clarify 50 million deal

Take 2 refuses to clarify $50 million GTA IV deal

Illustration

Matt Martin 11:05 (BST) 19/06/2007

Publisher quiet on exclusive episodic content

Take 2 has refused to clarify comments from chief financial officer Laine Goldstein that suggest the publisher received USD 50 million (EUR 37.3m / GBP 25.2m) from Microsoft for exclusive GTA IV episodic content.

During a recent conference call Goldstein stated that the struggling publisher has secured the advance sum, although Microsoft was not mentioned specifically.

"The first 25 is for the episodic content package that's supposed to go out and that is in March of '08," revealed Goldstein.

"The second 25 will be for the second episodic, the episode, and that will be after in fiscal '08."

When contacted by GamesIndustry.biz, Grand Theft Auto label Rockstar declined to comment further on any details of the deal.

Although due for release on both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, it is only recently that publisher Take 2 has clarified that additional episodic content for GTA IV will appear exclusively for Microsoft's home console.

Nothing new with that:) Atleast they didnt deny it. I guess its true just like the Rage engine and Euphoria was. They cant hide it forever. GTA fans are the best detectives in gaming.

They probably have signed an NDA (Non disclosure agreement)

fitbikesbmx

well im just planning on getting both versions... i dont mind spending the extra money because the game will be so good, but i just wouldnt like the fact that id have to start a new game on 360 if i play it first on ps3 and get really far into it or whatever, but im sure it will be fun to play through again just like the old ones, and since the first dl content isnt coming out for 360 until march, im sure ill have my fill of the ps3 version by then and be ready to be able to upgrade the game a little bit, but it sucks for anyone who only has a ps3 confused.gif

but it sucks for anyone who only has a ps3 confused.gif

Believe it or not, in an attempt to turn a profit, Sony has announced there are other games to play on your PS3 besides Grand Theft Auto. mercie_blink.gif

oldschoolsigs22.png

but it sucks for anyone who only has a ps3  confused.gif

Believe it or not, in an attempt to turn a profit, Sony has announced there are other games to play on your PS3 besides Grand Theft Auto. mercie_blink.gif

lol, no way, man i've been blindsided am i ever glad i bought my PS3 now. lol i liked it.

The PS3 still gets the core game. And that should be enough. DL content will probably come sometime in 2008. Or maybe not at all. But the PS3 has the most new technology and will have games that arent possible on the 360. Maybe in 2009, 2010. We'll see.

The PS3 still gets the core game. And that should be enough. DL content will probably come sometime in 2008. Or maybe not at all. But the PS3 has the most new technology and will have games that arent possible on the 360. Maybe in 2009, 2010. We'll see.

Games that aren't possible? What the hell? They're the same damned hardware. That's what I hate about lots of PS3 gamers, they think all their money goes to making it possible for PS3 to be somehow technically better than Xbox 360, but here's a secret component price list I found, it's very secret:

$599.99 = Blu-Ray drive

$0.01 = The rest

More people, like me, might actually consider buying the PS3 if it wasn't for that useless Blu-Ray DRM-nest format that costs you a leg. Then the console might actually be affordable, you know! But console debates blow.. besides, by 2010 we'll be having new consoles, and PCs still stay superior.

Eyeball-Tickler

Yeah its amazing then that GTA IV has'nt been announced for the PC then, is'nt it. Your complaining about the PS3 being expensive when you'll probally have to spend about 2 grand to get the most out of a PC just to run new games smoothly and in high detail. Then buy more parts for it next week because it's already out of date. At least with the consoles the games are built around the console so everybody gets the most from it. Completely diffrent story with PC's.

The PS3 still gets the core game. And that should be enough.

I know, it amazes me at how some people seem to think that the core game will suck, and the only reason to get the game is for the DLC. Idiots.

Yeah its amazing then that GTA IV has'nt been announced for the PC then, is'nt it. Your complaining about the PS3 being expensive when you'll probally have to spend about 2 grand to get the most out of a PC just to run new games smoothly and in high detail. Then buy more parts for it next week because it's already out of date. At least with the consoles the games are built around the console so everybody gets the most from it. Completely diffrent story with PC's.

I can, or I can just stay with my PC that's on par with consoles that are out on the market as we speak: X1950 Pro, C2D E6400, 1GB RAM. No sh*t, PC games WILL have higher requirements every year, but DUH, they will be graphically more advanced since PC hardware evolves, but console games will have the same DirectX 9 -esque level graphics. My PC cost me 800€, and I get a lot more out of it than just games. I DON'T have to upgrade to keep up with games once I buy my PC, only every 5 years, by the time when the new generation of consoles arrive. smile.gif

I know, it amazes me at how some people seem to think that the core game will suck, and the only reason to get the game is for the DLC. Idiots.

Well I don't think people are saying that, what they are saying is "why should I buy the PS3 version if the 360 has MORE content?"

I for one have held fire on buying any of the new consoles until this issue was sorted out as I can't see much tecnical difference between the two machines. Since the 360 will have access to the DLC as well as the core game, as well as a big back catalogue of many great games and many on the way, and a great system in LIVE.... I am about to be a 360 owner I think after many years of Sony ownership.

Sony totally dropped the ball with this machine.

If I want nice graphics, I'll change PC every 2 years, otherwise every 3 years. It costs me about 800€.

Well I don't think people are saying that, what they are saying is "why should I buy the PS3 version if the 360 has MORE content?"

I for one have held fire on buying any of the new consoles until this issue was sorted out as I can't see much tecnical difference between the two machines. Since the 360 will have access to the DLC as well as the core game, as well as a big back catalogue of many great games and many on the way, and a great system in LIVE.... I am about to be a 360 owner I think after many years of Sony ownership.

Sony totally dropped the ball with this machine.

Ok, we all know that GTA is great, but come on. You act like every GTA fan is buying a console based on GTA4. There may be a few, but not even enough to make a dent. Most people will alreday have their console when GTA4 comes out. Don't act like GTA4 is the only good game out there.

So what, Sony dropped the ball because they didn't fork out 50 mill for DLC. If anything, that shows how pathetic and scared Moneysoft is. Sony hasn't dropped the ball at all. It is more expensive, and that is it. That is the only negative thing you can say, that will make sense.

Sony has plenty of games compared to a console with over a year head start. It has plenty of exclusives. Sony is getting GTA4. The DLC will not take away from the core game. The game wont feel empty or unfinished without it. Sony has almost 400 games coming out in the next year. Live cost money, and PS Online is getting better all the time with updates. It is only a matter of time before it catches up to Live, and when it does, it will still be f*cking free.

archiebunker

If anything, that shows how pathetic and scared Moneysoft is.

That continues to be one of the most ridiculous spin jobs in favor of the PS3 yet. "Microsoft are idiots for gaining an advantage!" You sound like the gaming version of Baghdad Bob.

Maybe somebody needs to ask Sony some questions...

I definitely agree with you...some1 needs to talk to Sony and ask them if they are getting any episodic content if not why...because Sony has been with Rock* from the very beginning starting from PS1 and GTA1 and its a shame that Rock* leaves Sony out when Sony's the company that gave them a chance and made them popular

Edited by zainkool

Fanboys are amusing. I have a PC, Xbox 360, and plan on getting a PS3 in the near future. They all have their advantages and disadvantages, it's that simple.

user posted image

tarantulasauras rex

Maybe somebody needs to ask Sony some questions...

I definitely agree with you...some1 needs to talk to Sony and ask them if they are getting any episodic content if not why...because Sony has been with Rock* from the very beginning starting from PS1 and GTA1 and its a shame that Rock* leaves Sony out when Sony's the company that gave them a chance and made them popular

Oh god people just keep getting dumber and dumber by the days. how many times do people have to be told PS3 IS NOT GETTING EXCLUSIVE CONTENT BECAUSE MICROSOFT IS AND ONLY ONE CONSOLE CAN HAVE EXCLUSIVE CONTENT CAUSE ROCKSTAR DOESN'T WANT YOU TO HAVE TO BUY BOTH CONSOLES TO GET THE FULL EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!! sony is not getting the content cause it's exclusive to microsoft who are paying a lot for it! and rockstar has no bond with sony, they had a contract with them! i'm sure the GTAs of last gen would have been better if they hadn't been created on the inferior PS2 and then ported to other systems. The Xbox had superior everything. Rockstar are not fools but they had a contract with Sony but now it's the opposite, they're now in a strategic alliance with Microsoft AND THERES NOTHING U CAN DO ABOUT IT! get over it!

by the way, GTA started on PC!

Games that aren't possible? What the hell? They're the same damned hardware. That's what I hate about lots of PS3 gamers, they think all their money goes to making it possible for PS3 to be somehow technically better than Xbox 360, but here's a secret component price list I found, it's very secret:

$599.99 = Blu-Ray drive

$0.01 = The rest

More people, like me, might actually consider buying the PS3 if it wasn't for that useless Blu-Ray DRM-nest format that costs you a leg. Then the console might actually be affordable, you know! But console debates blow.. besides, by 2010 we'll be having new consoles, and PCs still stay superior.

Graphically they are very similar at the moment. But when it comes to AI, physics and all the rest of the stuff done by the processor, the PS3 is ahead of the 360 by quite a bit with the cell. We havnt seen much of its potential yet but its still in its first year and quite hard to learn just like the PS2. But give it time it has alot potential.

And its just not the Blueray your paying for you have

In builtWI-FI

Free Online

Inbuilt memory card slots

HDMI

Bigger HD

And its just not the Blueray your paying for you have

In builtWI-FI

Free Online

Inbuilt memory card slots

HDMI

Bigger HD

When exactly did this happen? Last time I heard the ps3 required you to pay through the nose for an adapter to use the memory cards from the PS1/2, which is a huge mistake by sony along with the crappy backwards emulation in general.

And how exactly is there a bigger HD when the Elite which has twice the HD and is still less money?

I just hope that online is still free by the time they actually implement it so there will actually be a good reason why the ps3 is superior.

Im not a fanboy at all, since I have yet to get either console, and I'm not spoiled/rich enough to be one of those nose in the air PC f***s, I don't have $1000 to blow every couple years on upgrades and consider that the conservative route. PC fanboys are just like the spoiled/rich buggers who don't debate consoles since they have all of them except theyre 2x as spoiled/rich.

Flash cards, Sd Cards etc not PS1 and PS2 memory card slots. The 360 elite is overpirced for what you get and they still havnt fixed the 3 red lights of death yet. The PS3 is expensive but certainly not over priced since they are loosing like $200 a system.

i agree with yo!