Yet Another Collision problem :-/

dandi8

Hi all, it's my first post but nvm tounge.gif

The problem is - I can't export collisions. I've searched every way I could on this forum (note the normal "search" function is disabled, and yes I know about the Yahoo! one) but couldn't find an answer to my problem.

Here's a screenie:

I've tried every exporting tutorial, but still nothing. If you want I can upload my model but I don't think it'll help. I dunno what to write because there are many methods to export and EVERY (sorry for the caps) one gives me another problem. I would be happy if there was a method where I would just import a .3ds object into Col Editor II and there turn it to a .col but I didn't find one. Sorry if I seem lazy or something but I really couldn't find anything for about 3-4 days now :-/

Last time I exported the col I imported the .3ds into 3dsmax, gave it the "Gta Col Surface" (or something like that) material and exported it using Kam's "COL_IO_2b.ms" script (I just typed the model's name in the box and clicked export this time).

Any help greatly appreciated tounge.gif

EASY WAY to Export COL:

open your model in 3ds max, now click on model name it as you want and copy it as well, now use kams max script to exporting col, and paste your model name in a field which is above export button, now click on Collision Mesh button and when it get yellow click on your model, then you will find your model name appear in that button

click on export and save it

after see your image, i realize that your model isnt in center

in 3ds max click on you model, then press M and at bottom you will see 3 fields for cords (XYZ), write 0 to all three fields then export

hope this will help

Edited by xmen

Thx xmen but that exporter (col3_IO_alpha2.mse) is for gmax or something maybe because every time I try to export anything with it I get an error "--No ""substring"" function for undefined". I used "COL_IO_2b.ms" but with no results so I'm pretty much stuck. Thx anyway maybe you'll find an answer to this problem too? tounge.gif

edit: on the other hand, maybe my plugin is outdated?

edit2: my model is centered, and M is for materials (I think it was F12 for the coords) tounge.gif and it's not rotated or nothing so it can't be the prob.

edit3: damn I had an outdated versio of Kam's scripts... I feel so stupid stupid stupid...! *bangs his head into a wall continuously*. Anyways, I exported it, but now my GTA crashes when loading o.O what could be the problem? Oh, and x-men, you're my hero tounge.gif

edit4: It turned out that TXD Workshop was the problem since I was using it to add files to the GTA3.IMG. Now I'm using IMG TOOL and viola, problem solved! Screenies:

Image 1

Image 2

Now how do I prelight those? 'Cuz I couldn't find any good tut about how to do this in 3dsmax. Honestly. I will keep searching though!

Edited by dandi8

So you didn't searched good, there is one, very good tutorial about vertex colors prelighting, made by Jost Vice. (I learned prelighting with this tutorial.)

edit2: my model is centered, and M is for materials (I think it was F12 for the coords)  and it's not rotated or nothing so it can't be the prob.

oh sorry it was W

So you didn't searched good, there is one, very good tutorial about vertex colors prelighting, made by Jost Vice. (I learned prelighting with this tutorial.)

why you dont give him a link for that...

Hi guys, thx I've found a couple tuts about prelighting, put them all together and it works tounge.gif

I had some problems with exporting 'cause in Kam's Scripts there is no such button as "export with vertex prelighting" :-)

Here's a screenie:

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/7597/prelightinggd8.png

Why is it so washed out? Did I do something wrong?

Here's another screenie showing the exporting setup:

user posted image

And a screenshot from 3dsmax (it may or may not help):

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/5024/pr...ngrenderbk7.png

Thx for everything!

P.S.

I hate imageshack, sometimes it takes sooo long to post an image :-/

Oh and am I making a lot of mistakes? I'm from Poland and I have doubts about my english blush.gif

VCol is the vertex lighting button.

WbZaxRP.png

umm, I know that. So?

edit: I'm planning to make a new world for San Andreas but I have no idea where to start. I can model, but what to model and in what way? Are there maybe any tutorials on modeling islands for SA? When I model one, I don't want it to be too low/highpoly and I need to incorporate (I think that's what it's called) cities into it which is my main problem.

edit2: I think my problem is because of the poorly placed lighting or something else (rendering options?). Now if I only could find a tutorial covering that...

edit3: Hmm... No one read that post for a couple hours now. Guess I'll add another prob biggrin.gif I made a new model and I exported it to SA. Now my col (I know it's my col! I tested it) causes MEd to crash when it's loading files from GTA3.IMG. What could be the problem? Is it the polycount of the model? 'Cause it's like a little over 22k polys. If it is, how to strip it into smaller cols or whatever?

edit4: about edit 3: It must have been that (I still can't believe it was 22k!) because when I changed the col to my earlier model (about 450polys I think) it worked fine in med. Screenie:

Image 1

HOWEVER (sorry for the caps) I get a crash while loading SA :-/ and I'm exporting with IMG TOOL so TXD WORKSHOP can't be the reason ;-(

Well at least I'm pretty sure that's not a limit of some kind because I've exported only a small part of my city (about 1900 polys so that's even under 2k) and it still crashed :-/

I just found out something stupid. I tried removing the col from GTA3.IMG, it still crashed, I tried removing the dff, it still crashed, I tried removing the txd, it still crashed. I removed only one file every time, leaving every other IN the IMG (for ex. I left the dff and the col in the IMG [removed the txd], then I left the dff and txd [removed the col] etc.). So maybe it doesn't have to do anything with my files? Maybe it's something about MEd?

Ok, that went pretty off-topic, so I made a new topic (Click!).

Edited by dandi8

Gud tries but all in vain.....

you should use 3ds max script by deniska

edit3: Hmm... No one read that post for a couple hours now. Guess I'll add another prob  I made a new model and I exported it to SA. Now my col (I know it's my col! I tested it) causes MEd to crash when it's loading files from GTA3.IMG. What could be the problem? Is it the polycount of the model? 'Cause it's like a little over 22k polys. If it is, how to strip it into smaller cols or whatever?

MEd crahes in two ways

one an error messege comes and second when you load map med disappeared

p no. 1 caused when dff not found

p no. 2 caused by col, this can be solved by optimizing col with CE2

I get a crash while loading SA

match your dff name in IDE with your model or may be you crossed the limit but if i see images you posted that shows you cleaned up the map, so if you are adding 2 or more models then you should use only one col file

I tried removing the col from GTA3.IMG, it still crashed, I tried removing the dff, it still crashed, I tried removing the txd, it still crashed.

one thing always remember that without dff and col that are using by ipl SA will always crash while loading however without txd sa will crash when you go near the model

Edited by xmen

Thx, xmen but the IDE and IPL files match my model's name and it's the only model I added to the IMG. so neither of those can be the problem. I'll try using the script by deniska, maybe it'll work.

Ok update:

I made a cube model .dff (I named it correctly as my original model etc. etc.) and put it in the IMG instead of the original 22k poly model. It didn't work :-( Well at least I can be happy it's not the poly limit :-) But still, gotta keep trying. I've got a txt file with many thoughts and ideas about my mod so maybe if I can export that model I will make a topic biggrin.gif Oh and remember I made a new topic you can download my model there!

Edited by dandi8