Video card...

nabo45

I'm gonna buy a new video card for a budget of 200 US Dollars, but i have no idea of what to buy, ive been looking at an nVidia 8600GT with 256 MB but is it worth it? currently i have a ATI Radeon X1300PRO card...

It would help to know what you have now, more so what GFX slot your mobo supports.

What do you mean with what i have now? is it my computer specs

Intel Core 2 Duo DualCore 1.86 ghz

2 Gig Ram

An ATI PCI-E Radeon X1300PRO card

Windows Vista

- nabo45

Fozzy Fozborne

Right now is a very hard time to buy a video card. The current 7900GS/7950GT Nvidia cards murder the 8600GT/GTS in Direct X9 gaming (today's standard). But the 7900's don't support the new DX10 which is said to revolutionize PC gaming. That said: the 8600's might be to slow to run DX10 games with any advanced options turned on (anti-aliasing, higher texture quality settings, etc.).

So, if you want better performance right now, get the Nvidia 7950GT or ATI x1950PRO which perform similarly for around the same price. (Those are just examples, the manufacturer doesn't make a big difference in the card, just so that it says ATI x1950pro 512 MB or Nvidia 7950GT 512 MB.)

Or, if you want downgraded current performance in exchange for the ability to (possibly) run tomorrow's games, get the 8600GTS

Also, don't bother with the 8600GT, get the GTS.

Please note, if you buy an Nvidia card (either the 7950 or 8600) it's VERY important that you uninstall the ATI drivers then use Driver Cleaner to remove the ATI driver remnants. THEN pull out your x1300 and install your new card, then install your drivers from the Nvidia website.

If you don't do that, then all sorts of bad things could happen as the two drivers try to control your card at the same time... black screens, crashes, etc.

I hope that helped you.

Edited by Fozzy Fozborne

Thank you, that really helped a lot, but idk if i can afford the 8600GTS if im gonna buy it in denmark, but i guess i just have to wait, but this really helped a lot thank you...

- nabo45

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.