Morality

furtrader

Don't you think that games which a.) objectify women and; b.) glorify violent actions against other human beings are poisoning the minds of our young people? Moreover, it seems to me that the majority of GTA fans are white and middle-class, yet this game glorifies the type of violence one might expect to find in the ghettos of inner-city Chicago or New York. Do you think of yourselves as racists? Afterall, you exploit the type of violence which you will never experience, i.e., black ghetto violence. Do you see the problem with your behaviour? Where are the ethnic minorities, and will they speak out against such exploitation?

Ernst Karajan

Vienna

RidingHigh

This game is no different or worse than any of the movies, TV shows, or rap songs we see and hear everyday in this country.

Don't you think that games which a.) objectify women and; b.) glorify violent actions against other human beings are poisoning the minds of our young people? Moreover, it seems to me that the majority of GTA fans are white and middle-class, yet this game glorifies the type of violence one might expect to find in the ghettos of inner-city Chicago or New York. Do you think of yourselves as racists? Afterall, you exploit the type of violence which you will never experience, i.e., black ghetto violence. Do you see the problem with your behaviour? Where are the ethnic minorities, and will they speak out against such exploitation?

Ernst Karajan

Vienna

Save yourself the effort and hassle and just leave these good forums now.

Thank You. rampage_ani.gif

major underscore

Don't you think that games which a.) objectify women and; b.) glorify violent actions against other human beings are poisoning the minds of our young people?

How do the GTA games "objectify women" (other than the fact that all things in a computer game can be viewed as an object)?

How do the GTA games "glorify violent actions against other human beings"?

Who are these "our young people" you are speaking of? If you are referring to children, where are the parents who allow their children to use games that are explicitly produced for a mature audience?

Moreover, it seems to me that the majority of GTA fans are white and middle-class, yet this game glorifies the type of violence one might expect to find in the ghettos of inner-city Chicago or New York.

A majority of fans of any cultural expression in western Europe and the U.S. are likely to be "white" and "middle class". Does this mean that violence in fiction can only be shown to people living "in the ghettos of inner-city Chicago or New York" or that violence in works of fiction is not to be allowed to be consumed by people who are born "white" and in the "middle class"?

Do you think of yourselves as racists? Afterall, you exploit the type of violence which you will never experience, i.e., black ghetto violence.

I do not exploit anything. I am consuming a work of fiction in the same way as a fan of, for example, "Star Wars" is watching violence taking place in other fictional worlds. Let's repeat - a work of fiction is not a documentary. This distinction may prove problematic to those who still believe in Santa Claus, but for adults the distinction should not cause confusion.

I would also like to ask you to continue your crusade by attacking the news programs for showing actual acts of violence, thereby exposing the "white middle class" to violence that they are not likely to experience in their daily life. Do you believe that people who watch violence in the news are racists?

Do you see the problem with your behaviour?

Which part of my behavior? That I spend time indoors playing games, instead of going out robbing "white middle class" people, like, presumably, you?

Where are the ethnic minorities, and will they speak out against such exploitation?

"The ethnic minorities" are all too busy enjoying Grand Theft Auto to buy into your bogus outrage.

Your country must be violence, no?

You've been living in a dream world, Neo.

Violence knows no geographical bounds. It's ironic that you're so concerned about the non-issues in a VIDEO GAME, yet you're not the least bit timid with turning a fellow poster into a foregone conclusion. Focus on reality. Be willing to look at yourself instead of pointing the finger at others.

furtrader must play this game too, to know so much about it. i am a Black American, and i really have no problem wih San Andreas, actually i play it almost everyday. what's the difference between playin San Andreas and Vice City? SAME THING...so im racist against whites just becuz i play Vice City and it exploits white ppl...? NO i am not.

im sick of ppl talking about who is racist and whose not...REALLY tho'. it's just a GAME if u dont like what it "EXPLOITS" then dont have ANYTHING to do wit it

*Case Closed

^^but to ADD ON..im Black and live in a middle classed area...rather your RICH or POOR doesnt matter by color. this game could have had a white main character really, becuz there are white ppl who live in the ghettos of the inner-city also...do ya'll get my point????

You have been surfing the Wiggernet, proudly sponsored by

Suction Testicle Ban

Barking up the wrong tree furtrader , we are the consumers , not the law makers .

You see real life works like this :

1 Law makers make laws for companies to go by.

2 Companies obey those laws or else .

3 Consumers have the "right" to choose .

You are in the wrong place . Go tell the law makers .

Master_Hitman

I'd love to help you, BUT OH! I FORGOT! I'M AN ETHNIC MINORITY. Since your post stereotyped me into a lower-class drug and violence ridden uneducated state. I hav' no ida wat yo' sayn fooo... I'ma too busy muggin da local gas statin, pimpi'n me hos and otha crime lika actividads esse too uhhh... to deal witha holy withe man empire.

Yeah, whatever, Jack Thompson is callin' ya baby to come home.

HolyGrenadeFrenzy

@furtrader

It is never a games fault if people are stupid. Really, D&D(Dungeons&Dragons) isn't to blame for unrighteous people, weirdos, "The Occult", Bar's, Night Club's, those dominated by the media by propoganda, Religious Fanaticism, Every Thing That Someone Needs A Guilt Target For like a cat in heat, or anything else either. That is correct I used another previous media target do demonstrate the material to material claim jumping these kinda people target. Most of us could use more understanding about crime because most of us are not criminals. Those of us that are ex-cons like myself don't appriciate your tone or accusitory attitude ,especailly with a contradictory perspective filled with hypocracy.

All those things were there before GTA or D&D ever existed. Imange that. Because you would need to be among those things listed and look you are still here.

So,show us GREAT ONE sarcasm.gif how can "We" be better human beings.

Their are all kinds of reasons someone may be interested in GTA SA and not all of those reason are ignoble.

As your Dialectic Methodology suggests the roots of the problem you have here is this: "People whom need a party outside themselves to blame for their feelings have not learned one of the primary lessons in emotions of oneself. Namely that ones feelings are ones own responsiblity and nothing else can fill that. Emotions are a part of you, a sense if you will. But emotional indicators are not infallible or rational.

Objectification brings the subject/object discussion into play and no one is controlling the part of GTA SA or your neighborhood than you. Missions where the Protagonist/Anti-Hero delves into the seedy terrain he does find many unsavory things but if in a compariable position......Who am I to judge?

Everyone handles their darkest hour differently.

HGF

mercie_blink.gif

PS. The racism BS is truely a non-issue truely. It is the first time a non-white has been a GTA main character. So if it is white you object about the other stuff but if the character is black or anything but white it is a racist issue? That is a false aurgument and very manipulative but it will not wash here. We don't give a damn what color you are even those blue people and the "thought to bey mythological" leperchuans are welcome, Bigfoot too if he comes in person on video. This suggests the only racist thing here was your first post.

lol.gif

Edited by HolyGrenadeFrenzy

GodfatherITB

Your so right. These type of things never happen in real life!

I say we make an online petition to stop this filth! Let's all hold hands and rejoice in love for Overlord Censorship!

manofpeace

user posted image

Does we agree?

Worrying about the morality of a video game where you play as a black guy is stupid. Nobody should find it indignant if you start off as a lower class man who was framed by someone of his own racial minority for homicide. That could happen to many people! Violence in SA should be common. Do you think that you have a low risk of having your car stolen or being shot in Los Angeles? I don't. With such a large city with so much random crime from anybody, violence is going to be glorified in SA because of real statistics. GTA games are based off of high crime cities. New York, Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Las Vegas, London; all have a lot of people and thus a large crime rate.

Objectify women? A gangsta from Ganton (Compton) is going to be tough whenever they have a reputation of a gang member. I'm too young to play GTA and so is most of this forum, because it appeals better to the young and extreme. My parents don't like it because they are part of the softies in past generations. If you don't like this game, go away and play Katamari.

I do not think of myself as a racist at all.

Everyone has racist tenancies and feelings, whether you like it or not. The choice is yours to ignore them or not.

Physiological studies have proven it people, you all will make a decision based on someone's race at various points in your life. But consciously, I hope that most people realize it's instinct, and not really THEM.

Honestly, unless you're severely mentally unstable, you should be able to play grand theft auto at age 13 and not have it affect you. So long as you realize the difference between game and reality. Which most people do.

WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS GTA WHAT DO YOU EXSPECT die.gifdie.gifdie.gifdie.gifdie.gifdie.gifdie.gifdie.gifdie.gifdie.gifdie.gif :

LETS GO f*ck UP SOME BALLAS!!!!!!!

This pointless topic has bien repoted. soon it will hopefully be locked!

LETS GO f*ck UP SOME BALLAS!!!!!!!

Shutttlecock?

your the one double posting.

ive had about enough of you.

IMO this topic had substance unlike.

"how do you put a pic in a sig"

in the general SA discussion.

reported

I'm gobsmacked that youse lot even gave enough credence to furtraders post to bother replying...

why report this topic. it has something to do with GTA.

I would say the games are not to blame for the violence in real life. Some people are stupid an get influenced by games. It is even rated M (17+). this should show some warning. Then they blame their crap actions on the gaming industries. furtrader you should go complain to lawyers and try to help the community through a different method. calling us racists does not seem to be doing much good for anyone. do they not have GTA games where you live?

Ernst Karajan

Vienna

What the f*ck is your problem? Black ghetto violence? That offends me more than anything in a GTA game. As a black male, it's arrogant a**holes like you that piss me off more than any video game could. Besides, if a video game poisons your mind, then it was probably already screwed up to begin with.

Ernst Karajan

Vienna

What the f*ck is your problem? Black ghetto violence? That offends me more than anything in a GTA game. As a black male, it's arrogant a**holes like you that piss me off more than any video game could. Besides, if a video game poisons your mind, then it was probably already screwed up to begin with.

Very well said Mr_Hym.

I do not think of myself as a racist at all.

Everyone has racist tenancies and feelings, whether you like it or not. The choice is yours to ignore them or not.

Physiological studies have proven it people, you all will make a decision based on someone's race at various points in your life. But consciously, I hope that most people realize it's instinct, and not really THEM.

Honestly, unless you're severely mentally unstable, you should be able to play grand theft auto at age 13 and not have it affect you. So long as you realize the difference between game and reality. Which most people do.

icon14.gificon14.gif That's true!!!

Ya know, i don't get the point of this topic... Yes there's somewhat a hint of racism in the game, but you gotta look around... THERE'S RACISM EVERYWHERE!!! Games will be games... what else i don't get is when people bitch about one game constantly... w/e that's all i have to say... Love me or hate me confused.gif