ped crashing

racinggreen

racinggreen

well do you all know that certain peds crash, and we dont know an exact reason, so any inforamtion that anyone has would be greatful no matter how small!

Skins that Crash (ids): -

this is a list of those peds (the id numbers) i would be greatful for ANY help on the matter

There are no peds defined at those numbers in peds.ide.

Ped id 1 and 2 aren't defined in that file (The Truth and Maccer) and they work, that is not a valid reason.

that is not a valid reason.

Why not? I'd be the first to say that it may not be the ONLY reason, but it's just as valid (and testable) a reason as anything else.

If you're so certain that it's wrong, feel free to crack open the exe and let us all know what you find.

Why not? I'd be the first to say that it may not be the ONLY reason, but it's just as valid (and testable) a reason as anything else.

If you're so certain that it's wrong, feel free to crack open the exe and let us all know what you find.

I know for a fact it is wrong so stop trying to prove yourself right becaue you aren't! I remove the whole peds.ide file and played using as many peds as i could be bothered to do!! And don't say you are trying to help as you gave your advice, it said it was wrong which it is so how the f**k is arguing helping!?

I know for a fact it is wrong so stop trying to prove yourself right becaue you aren't! I remove the whole peds.ide file and played using as many peds as i could be bothered to do!! And don't say you are trying to help as you gave your advice, it said it was wrong which it is so how the f**k is arguing helping!?

Ooooooooooooooky. I'm curious to know your testing process. Here's mine:

1) Removing the peds.ide file entirely causes a crash before the game is loaded (duh).

2) Removing all the ped listings from the file (except 0 and 299) crashes the game before it's done loading.

3) Same as 2, but with a stripped script crashes the game 1 second after it loads, because the engine is trying to load ped data that isn't there.

4) Removing certain peds in certain zones crashes game for the same reason as 3.

So I've wasted an hour with two soft crashes, two hard crashes (thanks for that), multiple script changes in an effort to show my testing process and what's the result? A crashed game every time. I should note that my install is clean, save for 1 replaced texture that's only used in one mission.

If you'd care to discuss how you managed to get the game running by "removing the whole peds.ide" file, I'm all ears.

There's no harm in asking questions, but not in this argumentative way, especially when a thread was created to make the selfsame points not so long ago. Did you imagine that the second thread would be created in an alternate, parallel Universe? Surprise, surprise, the same people have given replies.

Chill out Mr two accounts.

ModelingMan

Ped id 1 and 2 aren't defined in that file (The Truth and Maccer) and they work, that is not a valid reason.

A logical explanation of this would be that ped IDs 1 and 2 are defined internally as opposed to being defined in peds.ide. Another example of this would be IDs 374-383 which aren't defined in default.ide but defined internally.

abstract_sig.png

A logical explanation of this would be that ped IDs 1 and 2 are defined internally as opposed to being defined in peds.ide. Another example of this would be IDs 374-383 which aren't defined in default.ide but defined internally.

Then why when i remove peds from the ide they still work....

Also if this is the problem and the ones i am removing are also defined 'internally', then what do i define the ones that crash as?

Also if this is the problem and the ones i am removing are also defined 'internally', then what do i define the ones that crash as?

Unused?

Unused?

What? They are unused as they crash, apparently ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ i need to define them in IDE to stop them crashing..

ModelingMan

well do you all know that certain peds crash, and we dont know an exact reason, so any inforamtion that anyone has would be greatful no matter how small!

The reason is that they are unused... Any ped ID which causes a crash is either not a ped or the ID has nothing assigned to it. You said you'd be grateful for any info on this subject, both myself and ceedj have given you info and you don't seem appreciative, instead you are just trying to say that we are wrong.

Simply removing ped definitions from the peds.ide will result in a crash, no doubt about it; so I have no idea how you managed to have a fully running game after removing one or many ped definitions.

They are unused as they crash

Wrong way round friend... "They crash as they are unused."

abstract_sig.png

Well the crash occurs here:

0x40890A : movsx ecx, word ptr [ebp+0Ah]

The jmp is here:

0x408848 : jnz SkinCrash

if its of any interest

Also this doesn't seem to work for me: ScriptCommand( &set_player_skin, 1, 3 );, any ideas why not?

Edited by Sacky

I do appriciate the info but the info i am getting is not what i requested, i requested info on how to fix the crashing not to why it crashes.

I'd say it's a safe bet that if people are giving you much the same info on why, it stands to reason that no one has yet figured out the how.

Feel free to contact R*'s developers if you find this not to be a "valid reason."

I'd say it's a safe bet that if people are giving you much the same info on why, it stands to reason that no one has yet figured out the how.

Feel free to contact R*'s developers if you find this not to be a "valid reason."

Why should i do that just because you haven't gave good info, there might be others yet to see this thread who know the reason.

ModelingMan
Why should i do that just because you haven't gave good info, there might be others yet to see this thread who know the reason.

But we have already established the reason, and that is that R* haven't used these IDs. Maybe they did before they released the game and saw no use for the peds (or whatever) in those slots. The only people who can tell you is the developers of the game and since you won't find them here then I guess you won't get a final answer...

abstract_sig.png

But we have already established the reason, and that is that R* haven't used these IDs. Maybe they did before they released the game and saw no use for the peds (or whatever) in those slots. The only people who can tell you is the developers of the game and since you won't find them here then I guess you won't get a final answer...

How aren't they used? Each and every one of the peds are used in single player, many in roaming missions, certain ones in cutscenes. There is a mod in the Mod Showroom that has many of these peds in for you to use but the creator of the mod don't reply to my pms.

ModelingMan

i requested info on how to fix the crashing not to why it crashes.

I think you are failing to understand. All the info given tells you that these slots were simply not used by R* in the final build of the game. Unmodified the game runs as it's supposed to, but you are modding it to spawn peds/actors which don't exist, so you must understand why it crashes.

Observe the following screenshot:

user posted image

This is how VC's memory looks after loading peds. As you can see ID 8 has the value 0 meaning this ID hasn't been defined anywhere. Proof of this is found in default.ide:

...7, male01, male01, CIVMALE, STAT_SENSIBLE_GUY, man, 0, man, 1,4# normal peds9, HFYST, HFYST, CIVFEMALE, STAT_STREET_GIRL, sexywoman, 013, null, 6,1...

There are more IDs than this which have nothing assigned to them, therefore useable by modders for whatever they please. So really there is nothing to fix, you are the one causing the problem since you are trying to load a non-existant object, but if you do want to "fix" the crashing then do not use any IDs which have nothing assigned to them.

How aren't they used?

If you mean why aren't they used then that is a question for R* to answer.

abstract_sig.png

So it is apparent that what you are saying is that they need to be defined in peds.IDE.

Have you any idea whatsoever what i define them as or where i may find out without contacting rockstar at all as they don't allow unauthorised modding?

Well if you give me an overview of what each character does then i could give it a go

Tbh i now have doubts Sacky. Peter said defining them wont make a blind bit of difference to the crashing, he said it is because the peds load differently to the others.

Tbh i now have doubts Sacky. Peter said defining them wont make a blind bit of difference to the crashing, he said it is because the peds load differently to the others.

Hmmm....

Special actors are not identified in the IDE. They're identified by text strings, corresponding to to the same name that's in the gta3.img file.

The method for applying a ped as a skin is different than a special actor (all the NPC's you listed).

Simply said; they don't work because they require a different method of loading and using, they don't work as normal peds, most of them aren't defined in the peds data-files and it's simply not implented in SA-MP. If the team wants them to work, they're more then capable of doing so, topics about internal code (not even sure what you mean by that) aren't going to help, they have lots of other things to do anyway.

notify.gif

Hmmm....

Special actors are not identified in the IDE. They're identified by text strings, corresponding to to the same name that's in the gta3.img file.

The method for applying a ped as a skin is different than a special actor (all the NPC's you listed).

Simply said; they don't work because they require a different method of loading and using, they don't work as normal peds, most of them aren't defined in the peds data-files and it's simply not implented in SA-MP. If the team wants them to work, they're more then capable of doing so, topics about internal code (not even sure what you mean by that) aren't going to help, they have lots of other things to do anyway.

notify.gif

I never mentioned SA:MP, i am on about single player. They do the same in single player so i dunno why he thinks its just SA:MP.