The best upgrade for the $

Fozzy Fozborne

Fozzy Fozborne

I'm pretty happy with my PC performance right now, but when running very demanding games (Company of Heros on Ultra-high) there can be some lag and stutter when changing view-points or during huge battles. Also, I'd just like an over-all faster PC (who wouldn't?)

We're willing to spend about $200 on the best part(s) to get the best jump in FPS.

What I'm running right now: (everything stock speed)

AM2 4200X2+

2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR-2 800

XFX 7950GT 256MB (Silent cooler if it matters)

Samsung 300gig Hard Drive

Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe

NZXT PRC-550 550 watt PSU (Certified for SLI in high-end systems)

Now, the options I've been looking at are as follows:

Upgrade to 5600X2+ - $180

2 More gigs of corsair - $86 after rebate (I have XP Home, which only sees 3.5 gigs RAM)

Another 7950GT to run in SLI - $200

Another hard drive to run in RAID-0 for faster performance (if I can FIND one... also do I need to format to run two together? Also, will a 320 GB work with a 300 or do they need to be exactly the same?)

Of those, which will get the best boost in performance for the price? Also, if you think I should simply stop being a weenie and get a good heatsink for my 4200 and overclock it to 2.8 GHz then tell me...

Or if I should just wait for the K10/K8L platform to blow this system's performance out of the water... then tell me...

Thanks for the help.

I'd also like to forward my brother's thanks helping me with upgrading him from a 3500+ 939 to a 4200x2, AM2. It's way faster now.

Edited by Fozzy Fozborne

I think another video card would take care of the majority of the performances problems, especially if it has a large amount of memory on it. I haven't gamed or upgraded a PC in like three years, but some of the performance stats on today's hardware is phenomenal. Just to save money I would try another video card in the SLI and see how that performs. If it's still pretty slow, I couldn't imagine what the bottle-kneck could be. Your harddrive is SATA, right?

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

Get the second GfX card, Get the RAM, wait for K10 and get a Quadcore IF you can.

Raid will run on Two Drives that are way different, for example, if I had a Raid card for my IDE drives, I could run my 200Gb Seagate and my 80Gb Western Digital in RAID, for SATA, the chip for RAID is usually with the motherboard, but if you have IDE, your best bet would be another IDE drive and a PCI RAID card.

Also, keep in mind only certain games support SLi (Otherwise it will only use 1 GfX card) so some older games that you like, if they lagged, you wouldn't get many more fps.

New account, Joe.

Fozzy Fozborne

Alright, thanks for the help, yes my hard drive is SATA and my motherboard supports IDE and SATA RAID natively. I'm thinking I'm probably going to wait for the new AMD processors to be released, then I might upgrade get a second graphics card. It seems kind of strange that the graphics card would be the bottleneck, because it's one of the fastest 7XXX series cards ever made (apart from the 7950GX2) and is similar in performance to the flagship 7900GTX. But heck what do I know and I am playing one of the most demanding games available on utra high settings with full AA and AI enabled. Maybe it's just too much game for one card.

I'm thinking I'm probably going to wait for the new AMD processors to be released

Sorry for going off topic, but do you have any idea when that will be?

Fozzy Fozborne

Last I heard was Q3 of 2007, but I don't know if they've changed it.

Don't go SLI. Unless you're running HUGE resolutions, say, 2560 x 1600 on a 30" monitor, there is very little performance gained, in most applications.

Depending on the game, as some are CPU intensive, and others are GPU intensive, it's not really possible to get a huge boost in all games without upgrading both CPU and GPU.

If you were able to sell your 7950 GT I'd advocate buying an 8800 GTS 320 MB.

Also, X2 4200s do well in terms of overclocking, from my experiences, so you could likely hit 2.5-2.6 GHz, with stock cooling, which, in terms of clockspeed, is the same as an X2 5000+.

If you only get good fps Jumps in High Resolutions, then why have people got fps jumps in games at 1204x1028?

Look here and see that in Doom 3, the only loss through SLi is at 680x480 which most people won't game at......

New account, Joe.

If you only get good fps Jumps in High Resolutions, then why have people got fps jumps in games at 1204x1028?

Look here and see that in Doom 3, the only loss through SLi is at 680x480 which most people won't game at......

Because it's a curve.

Hence, the higher the resolution, the larger the jump.

There's really no point in investing in a second GPU that will net you 10-20% more performance, when you could buy a new GPU that would easily beat both out.

Doom 3 isn't the best benchmarking tool anymore, as it's quite dated.

Here's an example of SLI not doing so well - Because many current shooters are CPU-limited, the gain is very, very minimal.

AFAIK, Stalker, Oblivion, Half-Life 2, and a good number of others are CPU limited.

Fozzy Fozborne

The res i play in depends on the game, HL2 I run at 1600x1200 with full AA and AI... looks freaking FANTASTIC, but a few frame rate stutters. I know for a fact that HL2 is CPU-limited. CS Source is at 1024x768 with full AA and AI. (I usually have other things running when I play CS). Company Of Heroes is at 1280x1024 with everything on ultra and full AA and AI. Looks FANTASTIC as well, but rotating the camera causes serious lag issues, and when a huge firefight ensues, a big drop in FPS.

I'll just overclock this 4200 to about 2.4 GHZ. That sounds reasonable for the stock cooling and will get me about 10 more FPS in most games. (2.4 GHz is effectively a 4600 which gets about 8-12 FPS more than a 4200 in common games).

I'll consider an 8800GTS whenever (or if) it gets down to around $250.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.