Official "What are you playing now?" thread

Jonny_Tightlips

Jason

I sunk maybe 10-15 hours into New Vegas, I had fun with it but ultimately I quickly realised it's not the type of Fallout (or rather, Bethesda) experience I want. The typical Bethesda RPG is very exploration heavy, it's rewarding to just go out and mooch, you'll find stories, environmental story telling, loot, rewards, etc. It's the main driving force of any BGS game for me. New Vegas though doesn't really have that same experience, it has it in small areas but generally speaking the game is heavily quest driven. It's pretty great in that area and I totally get why it's a fan favourite among the RPG leaning fans, but it's not what I play Fallout or BGS games for. From what I've read it sounds like Obsidian had very little time to make NV so they focused on writing a good story rather than exploration stuff, which fits. I also had a real problem with interiors in New Vegas, I have a real pet peeve with maze like interiors that make zero sense from an architectural stand point, and NV is riddled with them sadly.

With Fallout 4 SE's out and that scene starting to get updated I have however been building up my Fallout 4 mod loadout on Vortex, I'm ideally still waiting for alternate start to be fixed but that's still TBA on a date so I may end up starting it earlier, we'll see, whatwith D4 season 4 soon I might wait it out. But yea, I'm handpicking them rather than going w/ a collection for now but I'm looking for more ovehaul like stuff, Sim Settlements 2, new locations, new quests, new weapons and perk overhauls etc.

LongHairedFreakyGuy

Was actually wanting to do a Fallout playthrough on my Rog Ally, but saw too many posts saying how bad the experience is on a PC. I have 3 and Vegas on my 360,but was thinking having it on handheld may actually make me play it properly. May just stick to playing it on Xbox though, unless I look in to properly modding the game for optimisation purposes. Saying that, I just started Outer Worlds on the Ally, so will put it off for a while. 

Anyway, finally managed to finished Links Awakening on the Switch, and safe to say its one of my most favourite games of recent years. Just such a special charm to it all, and you can tell it was made with love. Despite the frame drops that happen too frequently, it's genuinely a great game. I say finished, but there's still the side quests that I want to clear up. 

After that, I moved on to Skyward Sword, a Zelda title that has a lot of bad press about it, but having never played it I want to give it a proper go. I actually shelved it some time back after getting stuck on the Earth Temple, but I've given it a proper go and managed to make some progress. Still weird controls, but fun nonetheless. 

Making some decent progress on Resident Evil 4 (remake) on the PS5, and genuinely enjoying it. Never managed to give it a proper go before, despite owning like 3 original versions of it, but the remake has got me engrossed. 

Hogwarts Legacy is making some slow progress on the Series X. 

Recently purchased a Wii U, and the 2 HD Zelda games are in the post, so they'll no doubt be taking a lot of my time up. Safe to say, now I've just spent like £350 on this, Nintendo will finally announce the double pack for the Switch 😂 

44Orca

Stuck playing Tekken 8 since it's addictive and having lots of fun, also meeting other players, lounge was a great idea.

I started playing some of the old Deus Ex games for now aside T8, and I finished again Hotline Miami 1&2. Really want a third one but that doesn't seem to be happening.

2dQaqi9.png purple-diamond-gem.gif

Jason

Ah FO4 is just a bit too unstable right now sadly, it's very crash heavy for me atm, plus missing some important mods still like XDI and alt start which I both want. I wanna do a big big playthrough with lots of mods, but I think waiting for the mod scene to be fixed up is the way to go. Gonna wait for the StoryWealth collection to be updated for the new patch and then throw some weapon mods on top of that I think.

lndex
Posted (edited)

Yeah, I assume it's still all over the place. There's a Discord I'm in that has updates for modpacks, and I've seen the odd person say you can downgrade FO4 using a mod to restore mod compatibility and revert to its pre-next-gen version. I might give it a shot, though I'm still enjoying FNV at the mo.

Edited by lndex

Jason

Yea I know about the downgrade stuff, I'm leaving that as a last resort if mod updates take an age.

Was looking at Starfield modding and while it's definitely in the "everyone waiting for CK" stage, there's some promising looking stuff there. It really, really needs the CK out there though, it's so hacky to do pretty basic things at the moment like adding new hair options etc.

Is this The Guy?

I’m still playing Baldurs gate 3 and holy sh*t what a game.  It’s also saving me a lot of money lol.  I spent so much money on games the last two years and only enjoyed maybe three of them and I haven’t played or bought anything else this year.

I just hit 600 hours in this game, just hit act three for what might be the 20th time, and I’m already thinking of the next character I want to play as. 

Resisting the urge is imo the best way to play this game.

• Like 1

Playing some of the 2013 Tomb Raider now that it's on GP. Played all of Rise (the middle one) when it was part of PS+ back on PS4, and played about half or so of Shadow. I was late to the party on these games, ahving never been much of a Tomb Raider game in the past, but man I do enjoy these games. The mix of light exploration, platforming, puzzle solving and combat, with some amazing set piece moments and visuals is all 👌. All really good games and I'm really interested in what they do next with the Tomb Raider game, there's a rumour of a more open world one set in India... I could certainly be in for that.

Posted (edited)

I tried Shadow of the Tomb Raider a few weeks ago on GP but couldn't seem to get into it. I wasn't keen on the combat at all, though it might not necessarily be a bad thing in a game like that if it favours exploration and puzzle solving over combat, I suppose.

At the moment, I'm deep into FNV's story (modded), and while doing Honest Hearts, I forgot just how much of an interesting character Joshua Graham is. It's a brilliant little DLC.

I'd love it if they somehow modernised New Vegas while still retaining the look of the game. The Gamebryo engine is an ageee now, lol.

Edited by lndex

IIRC I found Shadow to have worse combat than Rise, and probably worse combat than TR 2013. That being said, I think there's a sort of intentional "Lara isn't a marksman" vibe to the combat in general, so it feel a little clunky in aspects. Out of three I've played I strongly prefer Rise overall out of three in general, Shadow is very pretty with some amazing visuals and great tombs, but the progression was a step back for me. The whole black market thing and each piece of armour being equipped on independently over the outfits system of the previous two, I remember being like 10ish hours into Shadow and looking like I just started the game, except I had fur boots lol. Felt meh to me. Playing TR2013 now, with the complete edition outfits, it's been nice swapping between them to suit the area I'm in.

Managed to snag a month of Ubisoft+ for half price, so I will be starting Assassin's Creed Mirage tonight. I have been hearing a lot of great things about it, which is a good thing since I absolutely despised Valhalla with a passion; despite me enjoying Odyssey and Origins.

spacer.png

LongHairedFreakyGuy
On 5/11/2024 at 8:00 PM, Jason said:

Playing some of the 2013 Tomb Raider now that it's on GP. Played all of Rise (the middle one) when it was part of PS+ back on PS4, and played about half or so of Shadow. I was late to the party on these games, ahving never been much of a Tomb Raider game in the past, but man I do enjoy these games. The mix of light exploration, platforming, puzzle solving and combat, with some amazing set piece moments and visuals is all 👌. All really good games and I'm really interested in what they do next with the Tomb Raider game, there's a rumour of a more open world one set in India... I could certainly be in for that.

Completed this when it first came out on the 360, and currently have it as one of the games I'm playing on the Series X. As much as I enjoyed it, it's definitely got all the hallmarks of gaming traits that need to be eradicated, but won't due to accessibility. Like the puzzles themselves. Stand still for 10 seconds to try and take in what needs to be done, and you get the irritating monologue from Lara, which repeats over and over and over. They tried too hard to push this constantly moving action game, that any point that requires a moment to think is rushed along. The sudden acquired Lara Vision, and the painted ledges. The QTE's were heavy in this game too. 

DODI3OG

Just bought AC Mirage last night, and daaamn! I'm loving the game. It's been 12 years since I properly played an Assassin's Creed game. Tried Valhalla for a few hours, but the combat and the overall feel didn't click for me.

The controls seem to be a little stiffer than AC Valhalla's, but it still feels clunky and loose. I think the PS360 games had stiffer controls.

I'm still 3-4 hours into the game, but I'm loving the gameplay and stealth. Never been much of a stealth player in the old AC games since it was easy to mow down an entire platoon just by parrying and countering. Not this time, so I go stealth first. I'm just trying to have as much Dirham as possible to get the Far East Merchant Outfit as I think it is a good blend of what Assassins should look like in that era.

• Like 1

Diablo IV season 4

Big update with changes galore, the biggest of which is to the games loot / itemisation, which was sh*te before the update and.... fun now. Wouldn't say they've solved all the problems and found the perfect solution, but it's a massive step in the right direction, especially with the new systems like tempering (yet to get to masterworking). Also a whole bunch of REALLY nice QoL and UI updates as well. Game is on track to be in a great place after the 1st expansion, like D3 was.

Harwood Butch3r

Series X

Forza Horizon 3. Wanted to get back into this as like I said in the PS5 thread it’s my favourite Horizon.

PS5

Spider-Man 2

The Last Of Us Part II remastered

Ghost Of Tsushima director’s cut

I know I have a thing about playing too many single player games, but meh. These three are just too good and I don’t mind the juggling.

DODI3OG

I'm past 80% completion in AC Mirage. All that's left to do is finish the History and Tales of Baghdad entries and down to the last target I'd go.

I have around 4 skills left to unlock.

I finally finished up Phantom Liberty, and that ending hit me pretty hard ngl. I had to do a save reload in between the ending missions as I missed a certain weapon you can get that is an absolute menace to use and very cool, but I'll not spoil what it is.

I've already seen the other outcomes of the expansions endings as well, so I won't bother going back through. I was pretty happy with what I got anyway. It's easily been one of the best DLC's I've ever played. Though I would have finished it up quicker if there weren't so many games releasing, lol.

Now we have to wait god knows how long until Project Orion...  :(

On 5/15/2024 at 11:12 AM, Jason said:

Diablo IV season 4

Big update with changes galore, the biggest of which is to the games loot / itemisation, which was sh*te before the update and.... fun now. Wouldn't say they've solved all the problems and found the perfect solution, but it's a massive step in the right direction, especially with the new systems like tempering (yet to get to masterworking). Also a whole bunch of REALLY nice QoL and UI updates as well. Game is on track to be in a great place after the 1st expansion, like D3 was.

Finished the BP and probably wrapping up for now cause Sorc, as has been since launch really, is massively underpowered when it comes to end-game activities that revolve around bosses, which right now in D4 is a big big part of end game progression.

But overall a BIG step forward for D4 with lots of good changes, the itemisation is solid and I look forward to it being fleshed out incoming seasons, helltides are fun, bossing is good and accessible. Skill tree/paragon needs looking at for sure in coming weeks/months, but D4 is on track to being in a great spot by the time the 1st expansion launches as predicted and hoped.

(outside of the still insanely overpriced store cosmetics mind you lol)

Looking forward to the expansion, whenever it drops this year. Should be a decent end of year for me whatwith at the very least Starfield DLC, D4 expansion, AC:Shadows and Avowed, plus some other stuff I have my eye on and any unnannounced stuff.

44Orca
Posted (edited)

Saw a reply on a GTA VI topic mentioning Tropico so.. yea ,I wanted to build cities again:kekw:, don't have a good pc for cities skylines 2, aside its problems so I played Tropico 6.

Here's the town I put, felt like being a kid again playing the first one.

20240520184537_1.pngryrt.PNG

I think Tropico would've been a lot better if it wasn't this "restrictive" to where you can place stuff etc, like why isn't there a way to put trees/plants ourselves in some parts? Or other small objects/props around the map, stuff like that.

It's more of a "dictatorship simulator" rather than city building one? I guess that's why? I never picked the story, always sandbox..wonder what that is like.

Edited by 44Orca

2dQaqi9.png purple-diamond-gem.gif

DODI3OG

Just finished AC Mirage at 100%. I've yet to plat it, but I will probably get that on my NG+ Full Sync playthrough. Master Assassin difficulty ain't that hard, enemy AI will just spot you quicker and armored enemies really feel like such on combat. IDK if I'm gonna replace my smoke bomb with a poison cloud and the put poison on my blowdart to make things safer in NG+. I'm not touching the restrictive Bureau contracts anyway, just wanna survive.

LongHairedFreakyGuy
Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 5:41 AM, Harwood Butch3r said:

I know I have a thing about playing too many single player games, but meh. These three are just too good and I don’t mind the juggling.

Them there are rookie numbers 😏

Speaking of Forza Horizon though, I recently decided to fire up Horizon 1 and try and get through the series in order after quickly losing interest in Horizon 5. It's a brilliant racer, and has all the hallmarks of what made me love the older NFS titles. It reminds me of Most Wanted, with having to build your reputation up to take on Darius, especially apposed to the latter titles (mainly 5) where you're already established within the scene. I'm actually enjoying not getting gifted all the high end cars so early within the game too. I'm currently on the purple wristband and only have like 10 cars in the garage, and the added options of not been able to swap cars at any time you want, and no fast travel (can no longer purchase that option) makes you fully enjoy the cars even more. The graphics are amazing too, and yes I know it's only a 13 or so year old game, but still. There's something about this period of games where everything seemed to have this autumnal type shade to it, if you get me. Now I just have to get used to not been able to drive through lamp posts and I'll be fine!

I did try the new Hellblade game, but that opening hour just wasn't my cup of tea, and from what I've read, this just continues throughout the game.

Some games that I've currently been on:

PS5 - Resident Evil 4, Dead Space Remake, Crew Motorfest

PS4 - Unchartered 1, Shadow Of The Colossus, GTA Trilogy

PS2 - Scarface, NFS: Most Wanted

Series X - Hogwarts Legacy, Forza Motorsport

XOne - Tomb Raider, Halo MCC

X360 - Forza Horizon 1, Fallout 3

Xbox - Splinter Cell

Switch - Skyward Sword HD, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Wonder, Mario Vs DK

Wii U - Wind Waker HD

Gamecube - Timesplitters 2

N64 - Ocarina Of Time, Diddy Kong Racing, Tetrisphere, Turok 2

Rog Ally (PC) - The Outer Worlds, GTA IV

Edited by LongHairedFreakyGuy
  • Like 1

The thing with Horizon it's had a real shift in what it's trying to be to the point it now sits inbetween to distinct types of racing games, track based and open world, and it really struggles to be great in either.

FH1 felt like the result of someone asking for an simcade take on an open world Forza Motorsport, how it would function and the tone/theme. But gradually as the series has went on it's tried to bring more of a TDU1/2 vibe into it, while also adding more tools and systems to also be a creative platform.

None of these things are bad, but the end result is that it's not a very good racer, which is largely because of the AI in single player racing and the track design promoting contact driving in online, and it's not a great open world driving game either cause the map is too small. It's actual biuggest strength, I'd say, is as a creative platform with the creator tools, weekly/monthly events, fun smash-a-thon modes and stuff, and the map changes they've been doing in FH5.

• Like 1

LongHairedFreakyGuy

Baring in mind I started the series at 4, I personally think 5 is the weakest game in the whole series. The library or cars is phenomenal to say the least, and the physics are still brilliant, but for me everything else just went downhill (taking in account I don't touch online racing or the event lab tools). The map, whilst been the biggest so far, was also the blandest in every aspect, barring probably the top-right hand side of the map, which I found to be fun. Yay, let's drive to the highest point of the map and stare at the desert all around us. Apart from that, it's just the same terrain, with a sh*tty little few houses here and there to spice things up. You start the game off as the Superstar of the festival, which takes away any kind of feeling of having to achieve notoriety etc, with a plethora of cars handed to you in the space of half hour. If it wasn't for the weekly play lists (which even then, they either seem to be the same tracks over and over, or some terrible, bugged event lab) the whole Festival aspect of the game has become obsolete, which is what defined the game, to an extent. The game is playing into this whole sh*tty industry standard of FOMO now, either that or pay up for new cars. 

It lost it's 'definition', and became just another generic open world racer, albeit the better of the bunch out there.

Got to the point that I asked what I was playing for, unlocking the same cars I'd worked my ass off for in previous iterations, with no career mode. I play it every now and then, but not to the extent I did with 4.

FH4 became like a religion for me, having to log in every Thursday night after work to get through the playlist, then the rest of the week was spent just chilling in the game, just cruising around or racing the highway. I'm a little bias because I love Scotland, but the map was interesting and so diverse. On top of that, the Festival actually still existed too. 

Excuse the rant. 

FH5's map is weird, it's beautiful and diverse but 4's is... better. It's hard to pinpoint why, I think maybe it's the roads, the city, it's just a better map to race and cruise on I think.

edit: oh and seasons 100%. Seasons exist in FH5 but their impact is trivial, where as in FH4 they all quite significant.

• Like 1

Failed Again

Thinking about, Days gone on PC. Steam sale think 12 us atm .

Anyone have info- about it- good/bad.

Thanks

LongHairedFreakyGuy
3 hours ago, Failed Again said:

Thinking about, Days gone on PC. Steam sale think 12 us atm .

Anyone have info- about it- good/bad.

Thanks

I keep meaning to go back to this one, and only shelved it due to other games taking priority for me. From what I played of it, I enjoyed it, and from what I see around the interweb, it's a marmite type game, that they either have massive praise for it and want a sequel, or it wasn't their cup of tea. For the price, I'd say go for it.

• Like 1

It's a competently made 7 or 7.5 out of 10 open world AAA game, with a rock solid PC port by all accounts. It does absolutely nothing special and it's filled with the typical modern day open world tropes and formulas.

There's nothing wrong with any of that, sometimes that's all you need from a game, but in Day's Gone's case I'd say you also need to vibe with the setting and the characters. If you don't vibe with the setting or the characters it's probably something you'll struggle to get into.

• Like 1

Failed Again
Posted (edited)

Thanks, well put for you Both. Appreciate your views..🥇🥇

I recently finished, Deserts Of Kharak(prequel to Homeworld.). It was fun.

I was hoping to play Homeworld 3, I loved 1/2..but I will wait for the price to drop before purchase.

I now have over 3000 hours in ESO..lol remember me asking you (Jason) well it worked great for me..🤸‍♂️

I am definitely getting the Gold Road expansion for ESO

Edited by Failed Again

UT1-Dot
On 5/25/2024 at 10:57 AM, Jason said:

FH5's map is weird, it's beautiful and diverse but 4's is... better. It's hard to pinpoint why, I think maybe it's the roads, the city, it's just a better map to race and cruise on I think.

edit: oh and seasons 100%. Seasons exist in FH5 but their impact is trivial, where as in FH4 they all quite significant.

I mean, as an Englishman I enjoyed it being in Britain.

I even have some getaway spots planned with my wife having seen how pretty they are in game.

Ambleside was never on my radar but we will probably stay in a boutique hotel soon there.

In general though I find Forzas map somewhat lifeless.

If you could walk around it would be better and feel truly immersed.

LongHairedFreakyGuy
On 5/29/2024 at 8:16 PM, UT1-Dot said:

I mean, as an Englishman I enjoyed it being in Britain.

I even have some getaway spots planned with my wife having seen how pretty they are in game.

Ambleside was never on my radar but we will probably stay in a boutique hotel soon there.

In general though I find Forzas map somewhat lifeless.

If you could walk around it would be better and feel truly immersed.

I literally only purchased my Xbox One so I could get this game because it featured Scotland, along with other places, since I love Scotland. As with you, I was quickly adding places to my Google Maps that I wanted to visit, such as the dam and the castle. Spent ages trying to hunt down the lighthouse too ha.

From what I've played of the series, it's between 3 and 4 that I've loved the most in terms of the map itself. 4 probably wins it though, because of simply how close to home it is, and the diversity between each section of map, yet somehow it just blended in perfectly, as apposed to just feeling like different parts tacked on to each other. I love the fact that I can still load the game up to this day and know exactly where to head to to meet some players. I struggled with this in 5. As Jason said, the seasons just topped it off too - Spent many hours just parked up on a hill overlooking the motorway, snow all around me and the sun setting.

The game had it's problems, sure, but it was near enough perfect to everything I wanted in the series. Just seemed to go backwards with 5.