2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Official "What are you playing now?" thread

Jonny_Tightlips

Currently on my 2nd playthrough of Horizon: Forbidden West with roughly the same build, but different weapons.

I feel like I've got a plethora of games now to enjoy to tide me over until the Witcher 3 update in December.

So currently UNCHARTED: Legacy of Thieves Collection, Spider-man Miles Morales and A Plague Tale Requiem.

Trying Warhammer Darktide on GP... I wanna like it, there's a good game here, but it's not quite what I want I think. It's set up very much like a long term service game with loads of resources, a sort of crafting, loot, grind, etc, but that style of game isn't really what I want for a game like that.

The game also runs like sh*t which doesn't help. It's got a fantastic art stylr and direction but it's not technically impressive by any means and yet I struggle to maintain 60fps with DLSS on balanced, dipping into the 40's I think in combat. It looks great with raytracing on but that's a pipedream in that game unless you're rocking a 4090 lol.

So good game for those that can get into it I think, but I dunno if it's for me.

Took the plunge on Midnight Sun's this Friday though, it's reviewed well and I do enjoy a good turn based combat game, and I'm a big Marvel fan anyway so I'm down for that part of it.

On 11/30/2022 at 9:44 PM, Jason said:

Trying Warhammer Darktide on GP... I wanna like it, there's a good game here, but it's not quite what I want I think. It's set up very much like a long term service game with loads of resources, a sort of crafting, loot, grind, etc, but that style of game isn't really what I want for a game like that.

One thing that's put me off a little is that the game apparently doesn't pick up until like 15 hours or so, much like Vermintide, I think. Which I never really got into, but I guess that's the route they're going for with the DLC plans and all. I'll try it properly when I get it downloaded; despite how janky it was, it was still a good laugh in co-op with a few friends during that playtest. It just doesn't really sound ideal from what I've been hearing about some of the latest fixes they've done, comparing it worse than the beta/playtest.

Edit: So I played a few matches but the amount of crashes I've went through is frustrating. Neither am I disabling my CPU OC for this, lol. I'll try lowering the cpu worker threads in the games launcher settings, see what that does.

Edited by DEADWOODZ

58 minutes ago, DEADWOODZ said:

One thing that's put me off a little is that the game apparently doesn't pick up until like 15 hours or so, much like Vermintide, I think. which I never really got into, but I guess that's the route they're going with DLC and all.

Yea it gives of massive loot grinder service game vibes cause of stuff like that. It doesn't introduce you to a lot of stuff well and it feels like it's going to take a lil while to get my build and weapons to what I want. Just doesn't feel like the type of game, a first person co-op shooter much like L4D, that really suits that style of game for me personally. Feel like the missions are a touch too long as well tbh.

Absolutely not a bad game, it's a good game in fact, but if I wanted a 4 player co-op grindy looter shooter/melee game I'd just play Warframe again, it does it better than anyone. For a 4 player FPS shooter DRG is more of what I want.

Also doesn't help that the game has zero cross platform which is worrying prospect for PC Games Pass. Stuff like that, the delayed console release, the poor optimisation, all adds up to the general feeling it probably needed a bit more time in the cooker. On the flipside, it's not a full price game though, which is nice.

I will probably try NFS Unbound because I stopped playing Miles Morales. The combat got annoying rather quick with the never ending gun shooting from the enemies and something about Insomniac's Spider-Man games make them feel so sterile and isolated. Don't really know how to describe it but now that I remember it this is also what made me stop playing the first one as well back in the day and it's sadly no different here.

Edited by Emmi

From what I've been playing of Darktide, it's been fairly enjoyable, except for the hourly crashes in raids I'm getting (if I'm lucky); thankfully, there's an option to reconnect back into the raid. I've tried a few workarounds, such as lowering the CPU worker threads to 1-2, but then it runs like sh*te. I also tried capping the frame rate at 60 and turning off DLSS and Nvidia Reflex; lowering the graphics to low-medium does nothing either in terms of the game's performance, and that's on a 3080; I see the frames dip into the 50s at times. But the crashes persisted as well. Hopefully FatShark releases a patch soon or something, because the game isn't bad at all.

Yea Darktide is in rough shape unfortunately. It's also one of those games that, for some reason, treats the GP users like sh*t. The GP version is a different (inferior) version that's missing fixes in the Steam version. That plus no cross platform MP has killed a lot of my interest in giving it more of a go sadly.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Yea Darktide is in rough shape unfortunately. It's also one of those games that, for some reason, treats the GP users like sh*t. The GP version is a different (inferior) version that's missing fixes in the Steam version. That plus no cross platform MP has killed a lot of my interest in giving it more of a go sadly.

Yep, it looks like they released a hotfix on the Steam version today that addresses the crashes. I'm not sure if that's the case for GamePass or not, the last update I had was yesterday. 🤷‍♂️

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1361210

Edited by DEADWOODZ

2 hours ago, DEADWOODZ said:

Yep, it looks like they released a hotfix on the Steam version today that addresses the crashes. I'm not sure if that's the case for GamePass or not, the last update I had was yesterday. 🤷‍♂️

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1361210

Mhm, said it before but it definitely came out undercooked. Might pick it up on Steam later down the line when it's fixed up and on sale but as of now it feels like a game that launched in early access more than anything lol.

Anywho, started Midnight Suns. As with so many PC gamers now there's shader related stutter which is a bit rough but it seems to be smoothing out over time as it typically does. Hope the cutscenes also improve as I've had some play at literally 6-8 fps, it's all in-game rendered stuff so I assume it's all shader related.

Beyond that I'm liking what I've played, feels like it's gonna be a really good turn based combat system.

Edit: turning of RT features improves things massively, and the RT here doesn't seem great anyway.

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

Mhm, said it before but it definitely came out undercooked. Might pick it up on Steam later down the line when it's fixed up and on sale but as of now it feels like a game that launched in early access more than anything lol.

Anywho, started Midnight Suns. As with so many PC gamers now there's shader related stutter which is a bit rough but it seems to be smoothing out over time as it typically does. Hope the cutscenes also improve as I've had some play at literally 6-8 fps, it's all in-game rendered stuff so I assume it's all shader related.

Beyond that I'm liking what I've played, feels like it's gonna be a really good turn based combat system.

Undercooked, is my nominee for Weber's, Word of the year

3 hours ago, Failed Again said:

Undercooked, is my nominee for Weber's, Word of the year

If I had to describe the current generation of video games in a word, undercooked would be the one for sure.

Hopefully a lot of these delays we're seeing are because of devs/pubs not wanting to add to the causality list, but we'll see.

Had a little dabble into Fortnite's update w/ Unreal Engine 5.1 support. Also very impressed with Nanite and Lumen, looks bonkers! Honestly, I can't even begin to imagine what games such as The Next Witcher will look like.

Edited by DEADWOODZ
  • KekCringe 1

Played a few hours of Death Stranding for the first time last night. I have no idea what I've gotten myself into but I'm digging it so far. 

Christmas time, so Spider-Man Mile Morales…

HpAJjz6.jpg

Doom Eternal and Final Fantasy 9. I beat the main campaign of Doom Eternal earlier today and will aim to beat the DLCs this weekend. After that I'll probably focus on FF9. I'm pretty close in clearing my backlog and I'm feeling pretty good about it. Even if I don't completely clear it, having 2-3 games in it is more manageable than dozens of games.

Played a few hours of High on Life today. I'm digging it so far despite not really being much of a first person shooter fan. I'm a fan of Justin Roiland and his humor but if you're not, you're probly gonna hate this game cause it's pretty constant. Even I can already see signs of it potentially wearing thin before the game is done. I've only got the one gun so far, though. I'm guessing different guns will change things up pretty drastically. There's options to make both the gun and the NPC dialogue less frequent but I haven't tested it out yet.

The two worlds I've been to so far are pretty fun. Seems like a lot of attention has been put into making them feel like they've all got a history and culture/society. That and the improv feeling NPC dialogue makes it pretty fun to explore. I'm still early in the game but it's got me hoping sales are good and these guys get to make a big, open world, Cyberpunk style game. 

• Like 3

Creed Bratton
On 12/13/2022 at 5:12 AM, DexMacLeod said:

Played a few hours of High on Life today. I'm digging it so far despite not really being much of a first person shooter fan. I'm a fan of Justin Roiland and his humor but if you're not, you're probly gonna hate this game cause it's pretty constant. Even I can already see signs of it potentially wearing thin before the game is done. I've only got the one gun so far, though. I'm guessing different guns will change things up pretty drastically. There's options to make both the gun and the NPC dialogue less frequent but I haven't tested it out yet.

The two worlds I've been to so far are pretty fun. Seems like a lot of attention has been put into making them feel like they've all got a history and culture/society. That and the improv feeling NPC dialogue makes it pretty fun to explore. I'm still early in the game but it's got me hoping sales are good and these guys get to make a big, open world, Cyberpunk style game. 

I've been playing it too. It's a fun game. A lot more fun than I though it would be. I dig the humor and so far I haven't seen any indications that it will start to get on my nerves.

You can watch the entire Tammy and the T-Rex movie in this game. Unbelievable.

Edited by Creed Bratton
  • Like 2

Put a few hours into it and yea, High on Life is very decent. I've genuinely laughed and found things amusing, but also at the same time found things to be a bit of a case of trying to hard to be funny, it doesn't all land well. Quite a bit of the voice acting can get a bit grating too, particularly from the gun, but I haven't turned the frequency down... yet. They also need a proper FoV slider and an option to reduce/remove the insane amount of camera shake and bobbing there is, the latter in particular is one of the worst examples of it in a FPS I've seen, it's frustrating as f*ck to see FPS games in 2022 not have these options tbh - PC modders have fixed the FoV problem on PC with the Flawless Widescreen app but yea, it still needs fixing. Also exploration doesn't feel that rewarding despite it being massively encouraged with all the chests littered about, it's mainly just coins and cards (which have no use as far as I've seen?). Coins can be spent back in the main hub or mid-mission but yea, feel like any potential sequel should probably look at another layer of unlocks be it cosmetic or progression/power and make hunting down those chests a bit more rewarding.

All that side, it is genuinely good game. Feels like they put a lot of care and attention into the world they've made, there's a variety of species, some a bit jokey sure, but it does feel like there's history and relationships between the various species and the differences aren't just cosmetic. I've only been to two worlds so far but visually their designs have been fantastic, going from desert badlands to an old west town to a futuristic sci-fi town in one mission. It's one of those games where you wanna keep playing just to see where it takes you next visually.

Using cloud gaming a bit.

This works well:

Kentucky Highway Zero

played a bit of HOL. Very very funny. Cloud based try

Edited by Failed Again

Assassin's Creed Valhalla  for the 3rd month in a row

"You don't understand! I could've had class. I could've been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am."

On the Waterfront 1954 M.Brando

On 12/20/2022 at 2:22 PM, 44Orca said:

Watch Dogs 1

Barely anyone talks about this game anymore. Definitely an underrated game.

• Like 2

Paradise  GIF                                                                                                                                                                             

TwistOfLime21

The Callisto Protocol

I'm not too far in but its a good game so far. Combat is kinda different to any other game I've played so far, using the left analogue stick to dodge instead. Doesn't take long to get used to and it flows better during combat than using buttons. One main noticeable flaw is that for a horror game, its really lacking in atmosphere. Despite going through semi dark and zombie filled corridors, its not scary nor eerie. At no point during the game do I feel the need to look behind me, slowly look around corners etc like I would playing Resident Evil or Outlast.

Edited by TwistOfLime21