3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Jonny_Tightlips

Official "What are you playing now?" thread

Doctor Holliday
21 hours ago, jpm1 said:

so you want me to buy a game several hundreds bucks just based on reviews. you think i'm mad or something lol. how many times i played games with great reviews, that in the end weren't at all my cup of tea. plus i read several things about RDR 2 that makes me think it's not the game of the decade. very likely a great game, no doubt about that, but not that good to buy a Xbox just for that. i have 170+ games in my steam library, i'm not in

a hurry, at all. just a bit disappointed about how some marketing strategies go nowadays

Ok you might have 170+ games in your little library, but none of them are as good as Red Dead Redemption 2 :lol:

I don't think you're mad but I think you sound pretty silly, especially when you say that you shouldn't trust "reviews," and then go on to say that you're going to avoid RDR2 because of several reviews you read. That's some kinda flimsy logic you got there. You could have just stopped at saying the game isn't your cup of tea. That's entirely fair.

20 hours ago, Dryspace said:

I support PC because I support free, open markets in which literally every aspect of my gaming experience from top to bottom is not entirely locked down and controlled by a billion-dollar console overlord. And the myriad other positives that I don't have time to list.

"Sucking it up" and buying a console because of the allure of a single "must-have game" is, interestingly,

precisely what Sony and Microsoft dearly want every PC gamer to do.

See, you guys are basically making my argument for me, because none of this makes any sense.

You support the PC because you think the PC = free and open markets...

Ok... so does that mean the console = an evil Communist dictatorship?? I'm extremely confused by your choice of allegory. I'm not sure what point you were trying to make, but you haven't made a coherent point, you just kinda lapsed into a dumb conspiracy theory about "billion dollar overlords."

Also, Microsoft and Sony are NOT Rockstar. They don't share profits.

Xbox and Playstation are interested in delivering home entertainment. They don't really care where it comes from. They don't create anything for the purpose of "alluring" people to buy a console. If you don't want to enjoy any console exclusive titles then you don't have to. This is just their business as usual. It's not trying to allure anyone any more than a McDonalds commercial is alluring you to stuff your face with grease. It's totally optional.

5 hours ago, Ertan Soner said:

Maybe he likes to play on pc?Maybe he don't want to pay extra for expensive games?Maybe he don't want to PAY FOR ONLINE or maybe he just simply don't want to buy it!!

I am tired of "just buy a console lol" bullsh*t! I hate console, I don't want to buy it! Stop spamming this sh*t everywhere.

Hey I like to play on the PC as well. It's still my primary station.

But he's not paying for "extra expensive games." Unless you're talking about piracy, Red Dead Redemption 2 costs 60 bucks no matter where you get it from. It's the same price as any brand new PC title. Pretty standard these days. Also you're not PAYING FOR ONLINE... Online is included for free just like GTAO.

This is also [literally] the first time I have ever told anyone to buy a console.

So I'm not "spamming" it anywhere :dozing:

It's just a suggestion.

If you want to play Red Dead, the holiday sales are a great time to jump in, because you can easily find an Xbox bundle right now (which includes the game + extra controllers) for as little as 250 bucks out the door.  If it's not for you then that's fine. But I'm posting this information for anyone who might find it useful.

jpm1

there's review and review. there are review that give an opinion, and there are reviews that are just video clips. your agressivity makes me think i'm dealing with a fanboy. i'm not trying to offend you there, but my precedent post didn't justify such agressivity

Dryspace
2 hours ago, Doctor Holliday said:

I'm extremely confused by your choice of allegory. I'm not sure what point you were trying to make

I think that's probably because you're not trying to understand.

Windows is a platform upon which anyone can develop and release a game, as it has always been. Microsoft has no control over what kind of games are released for Windows, unlike XBox and PS, for which MS and Sony are the gatekeepers to anything that happens on the platforms. Further, MS has no control over what kind of hardware a person uses, what kind of peripherals, what kind of input devices, what kind of software, etc. etc.

On PC, experimentation in input devices is possible, whereas on console one is restricted to only what the overlords provide. Overlord says "No mouse because it wouldn't be fair"? That means no mouse. Overlord has spoken.

but you haven't made a coherent point

There's a difference between me not making a coherent point and you not grasping it--or willfully ignoring it.

you just kinda lapsed into a dumb conspiracy theory about "billion dollar overlords."

It doesn't seem that you know what a conspiracy theory is, nor do you have any understanding of the nature of the console gaming paradigm. If you choose to pretend that I meant that Sony and MS goose-step around forcing people to bow to their will, then I can only assume that you are deliberately misrepresenting my point in order to avoid an honest reply.

"Billion-dollar console overlord" refers to the fact that Sony and Microsoft are billion-dollar companies who--ultimately--control every aspect of the video game experience on their respective devices: performance, upgrade schedule, operating system, input device, Web access, resolution, framerate, etc. etc.

I choose to support an open market that is not controlled by a single entity. So yes--your parallel between a capitalistic republic and a communistic dictatorship is not entirely inappropriate.

Also, Microsoft and Sony...don't create anything for the purpose of "alluring" people to buy a console. It's not trying to allure anyone any more than a McDonalds commercial is alluring you to stuff your face with grease. It's totally optional.

Your comprehension leaves something to be desired. I spoke of the allure of a game, not of a console.

But beside that, there is not one iota of logic to be found here. You are saying that the fact that buying a console is optional means that Sony and Microsoft don't want every PC gamer to switch to console? Say wha--? So....the fact that a fish doesn't have to bite means that I'm not sitting up here in a boat desperately hoping that he does? 😐

Edited by Dryspace

Sinner!

Just slugged through RDR II and I found it quite...boring. (when compared to past Rockstar titles)

It could quite possibly be R* least innovative game to date & the world is well-crafted & massive (to the point of annoying) but there's not that much to do & the game just felt like a prettier & bigger RDR with a few nice new features here & there added for the most part. it also has an extremely drawn-out narrative that gets highly wearisome about half-way through filled with mostly forgettable throwaway characters. 

Say what you like about V but it felt like a vastly different experience to IV & gave me a real wow & original feeling, RDR II not so much & the novelty has worn off very quickly.

A good game, but when I see 97 on Metacritic, I think why? what does it really bring to the table that's that different to its 8-year-old predecessor?

The moment has come I'm finally disappointed by a Rockstar game...I feel dirty. 😄

Thanks, Rockstar for finally adding stealth! 

I will say the MP3 like & highly satisfying gun combat & stealth has got me excited for VI! 

Edited by Sinner!

Dryspace
12 hours ago, Sinner! said:

A good game, but when I see 97 on Metacritic, I think why? what does it really bring to the table that's that different to its 8-year-old predecessor?

It's probably not so much what it brought to the table, but what was passed under the table.

Dealux
15 hours ago, Sinner! said:

Just slugged through RDR II and I found it quite...boring. (when compared to past Rockstar titles)

It could quite possibly be R* least innovative game to date & the world is well-crafted & massive (to the point of annoying) but there's not that much to do & the game just felt like a prettier & bigger RDR with a few nice new features here & there added for the most part. it also has an extremely drawn-out narrative that gets highly wearisome about half-way through filled with mostly forgettable throwaway characters. 

Say what you like about V but it felt like a vastly different experience to IV & gave me a real wow & original feeling, RDR II not so much & the novelty has worn off very quickly.

The moment has come I'm finally disappointed by a Rockstar game...I feel dirty. 😄

Thanks, Rockstar for finally adding stealth! 

I will say the MP3 like & highly satisfying gun combat & stealth has got me excited for VI! 

I would argue it's a better game than V and I wasn't into the whole western thing initially. The writing and storytelling is levels above GTA V but probably mostly due to its more serious tone. GTA games can seem a bit cartoonish at times. RDR2 is more movie-like but not as boring a game like Mafia 3.

You can readily tell that they took their time developing it. I honestly haven't been able to play anything else since I got the game. Maybe it's not your kind of game.

Edited by Dealux

TheSantader25

RDR2 falls shorter than V in terms of gameplay but the strongest aspect of it is the story and characters. It's unbelievable to write such a story in an open world game which can compete with the best stories I've seen in linear games. V still beats it gameplay wise but this game truly seems like Rockstar's final product in terms of characters and narrative based on the knowledge they gained from older GTAs, RDR, IV and even V(I believe some of the narrative is actually very similar to V but it has signs of Rockstar's learning based on past mistakes which actually turns it into an advantage). The gunplay is amazing, the world is the amazing like every R* game and the soundtrack with the atmosphere is phenomenal. There are actually some flaws within the game but The strengths definitely overshadow them.

This game made me remember how much I missed R* in the past 5 years that they haven't released any new games. Having no R* games in this gen truly made me feel like it was one of the worst generations in gaming. Incredible game same as GTA V and any other R* game I've played and I'm hoping for another R* game this gen even if it might not happen. 

I'm done with the story but I'm still exploring and replaying missions to familiarize myself more with the game and when I'm ready I'm gonna start a new game to %100 the game. Looking forward to RDO as well. 

Edited by TheSantader25

LiangHuBBB

rdr2 such an amazing game. prob. goty

Dryspace
6 hours ago, LiangHuBBB said:

rdr2 such an amazing game. prob. goty

I assure everyone my comment has nothing to do with RDR2 specifically, but as far as I know, "Game of the Year" is a fairly meaningless designation, isn't it?

Isn't it like winning, say, "Man of the Year", when it's just one of thirty "Man of the Year" titles that thirty organizations bestow? Or am I mistaken?

JON22

Just started playing Crackdown 2 on 360 after finishing the first one on Xbox One (why have they not made the sequel backwards compatible yet? It's their game). Loving that I can actually beat people with lampposts this time.

Dealux
On 11/10/2018 at 7:36 PM, Dryspace said:

I assure everyone my comment has nothing to do with RDR2 specifically, but as far as I know, "Game of the Year" is a fairly meaningless designation, isn't it?

Isn't it like winning, say, "Man of the Year", when it's just one of thirty "Man of the Year" titles that thirty organizations bestow? Or am I mistaken?

It simply means a highly and universally praised game.

On 11/12/2018 at 3:57 PM, JON22 said:

Just started playing Crackdown 2 on 360 after finishing the first one on Xbox One (why have they not made the sequel backwards compatible yet? It's their game). Loving that I can actually beat people with lampposts this time.

Wait a little longer.