Help choosing the right parts...

kingvercetti

kingvercetti

Hey guys, I need help.

I'm thinking of building a cheapish gaming rig (well I wouldn't personally be building it), but the problem is: I don't know jack sh*t about this sorta thing.

To put it short, what parts would you guys recommend to put together a moderately future proof gaming PC?

My budget is (well, will be) around £300, and preferably I'd like these things to be from a UK retailer. I don't need a monitor or speakers, already got those, but just the sorta things like dual-core processor, 1-2GB of RAM and so on, I'm not too picky, as long as I can play pretty new games (online too) without a hitch I'll be happy.

The only reason I didn't use all the things from Wolf's topic is that I suck at searching and can't find half the stuff from UK retailers. blush.gif

user posted image

user posted image

£300 is going to be quite tight a margin, you might have to have a bit of wiggle-room with your budget or salvage parts from your old machine to keep you going until you can afford that little extra.

A good place with a lot of fairly highend stuff is http://www.overclockers.co.uk/, have a search aorund there and see what you fancy.

What goodies have you currently got, that could be salvaged that could be compatible with your potential new rig?

I'm not that hot on Motherboards so someone else will probably have to help you out there, but have a look on that site and link what you'd like and then we'll compare if the parts or compatible or not

smile.gif

wZVJHXg.png

Rocketkiller

A cheap AM2 motherboard and CPU would be a good choice. I think all you would need is motherboard, CPU, case, power supply and GPU if you salvage some stuff from another computer. For the video card, I would go with what wolf posted, a 8500GT would do, but it's really slow. If you have more money I would say get a X1960 PRO, which is an incredible deal, less than twice the price of the 8500GT, but almost 3 times faster in some cases.

kingvercetti

The problem is that my current machine sucks, and the only thing worth salvaging is my Lite-On burner/drive, I s'pose that saves a few quid, but thanks anyway. smile.gif

My budget isn't really fixed all that much, I don't have the money currently, this is more of a "knowing what to buy when I get the money" sorta thing, if you get me, I could probably go up to £350-£400 max.

Now, I've been trying to track down the parts Wolf posted in his topic, and:

I believe this is the processor,

I really don't know sh*t about mobo's, so if anyone could suggest a decent one compatible with everything here that would rock,

Would this be a decent and compatible GPU?

For RAM, I was thinking this, is that decent and would it be compatible with whatever?

I'm really not bothered about storage, I've had this thing for 4 years, it only has an 80GB HDD and I've only filled about 50%, so I was thinking this, doesn't seem a bad price for 320GB, would I face any problems there?

DVD drive I can salvage or just pick up something cheap,

PSU's again I don't know sh*t about, but would this work?

Would this make a good/compatible case?

And obviously mouse and keyboard I could salvage or pick up cheap.

I make that as £303.88, so preferably if anyone can recommend a mobo under £50 that would be awesome.

So the question is: would all that stuff work together fine, and moreover, would it make a decent PC. I don't mind if it isn't gonna run thing like UT3 or new games on max settings, but will it run older games like Far Cry and Doom 3 on higher settings? Cos if it will, I'm a happy bunny.

Oh, and saying as you guys know your stuff, feel mix to make some better suggestions. smile.gif

user posted image

user posted image

If youj are going for the processor then you'll need the right Motherboard for it, here are the Motherboard that will be compatible with the processor that you've picked out and it will also be good for the GFX card you've picked out, as the GFX card is and SLI type and the Motherboard accepts that as well.

The Motherboard should fit into the case that you've selected, as cases these days are quite universal, and the PSU you've picked out is quite good, as long as you get a pretty good PSU to supply everything with the power it needs you should be fine, although I would probably look at one rated a little higher than 400W just to be on the safe side. The RAM is fine as long as the Motherboard you get is a DDR2 type.

If you choose a different type of Processor then you'll have to make a note of the socket type of the Processor chip and select a Motherboard which has that socket type.

So Case is Good, Motherboard from the selection I linked, Processor which is compatible from Motherboard list should be good, GFX card is good with those motherboards, PSU is good and RAM should be fine as the Motherboards are all DDR2.

The good thing is that you are building a desktop so upgrading shouldn't be a problem for suture use. As you say, you're HDD does what you need so far, so you could use that until you wish to expand, and your optical drive is good as well.

Happy shopping

wZVJHXg.png

kingvercetti

Alrighty, thanks loads mate, you've been a great help. biggrin.gif

Due to my budget I'll stick with this, if I weren't so limited I'd go with a £100+ mobo but this seems fine for what I need. Oh, and SLi means I can add another GPU down the line if I wish right?

Taking what you say about PSU wattage I reckon this should do the trick right?

Oh, and are all the necessary connectors or whatever included with everything? Like a power cable with the PSU etc.? And will I need just a standard DVI-D cable to connect up to my monitor, or will one be included?

Thanks again. smile.gif

That comes to £400 or so total with VAT (damn UK), a little over budget but hopefully by the time I get the money together (over the next few months) some prices will have dropped.

Edited by kingvercetti

user posted image

user posted image

Rocketkiller

That mobo and PSU should be good, DVI cables usually come with the monitor, and a power cable comes with the PSU. But that processor would be pretty slow, I would suggest the 4200+ or 4400+. Laos, for a bit more money you could buy this video card,you should also get thismobo instead if you go for the X1950 (Crossfire is ATI's dual-card system). The X1960 PRO is a good deal faster than the 8600GT in most cases, but it only supports Directx9, while the 8600 supports Directx 10. Right now there are no good reasons to got Directx10, but later on there may be.

kingvercetti

I might just do that, saying as it's only an extra £40 or so.

And whaddayaknow, Overclockers' is in the same city as me. tounge.gif

Oh, and this is the right processor right? The 4200+?

user posted image

user posted image

kingvercetti

Sorry for the bump, but I just have a question, with CrossFire, does the second GPU have to be the same card? And if not, what happens if I add a DX10 compatible card? Will it just install for 1 card, and just use use that one card in DX10 applications, and both in DX9, or will it just not work?

user posted image

user posted image

Fozzy Fozborne

Out of everything you've looked up, I'd recommend the following system:

AMD 3600x2+ overclocked to 2.2 Ghz (essentially a 4200 x2+ for 3600 x2+ money).

(If you don't want to overclock, then just get the 4200 x2+. I have that and I can guaranty that you won't be sorry with it.

The Geil (2 GB DDR2-800) RAM would be perfect.

If you're going the ATI Crossfire route, then that motherboard would be fine along with the x1950. That setup will be much faster right now, once Nvidia sorts out the 8X00 series drivers completely, then the Nvidia setup will be way faster.

If you're going the Nvidia route, then the motherboard and 8600 work fine together.

The hard drive is great (I own it) and will work for you.

Go for the more powerful Power Supply. 400 watts might not be enough to power your system and it's better to pay a little more now then pay for a new PSU later.

If you like the case, it will work for you.

For crossfire, you need 2 identical cards (meaning for example two x1950 pro's, I don't think you can mix pros, XT's, and normal cards). One DX10 and 9 card will NOT work together. Also if you get a 1950 Pro 256 MB and a 512 MB the higher card will only use 256 MB. It's best to get identical cards and run them together.

I hope that helped you.

kingvercetti

Yeah, that helps a lot thanks.

I'm just wondering whether I should stick with the X1950 or move to something DX10 compatible. Will games be requiring DX10 anytime soon or not?

Also, would it be worth getting this, the 512MB version of the X1950 Pro, or wouldn't I notice much of a difference? 'Cos the price difference is only £20.

And this should be all well in terms of power right?

user posted image

user posted image

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.