computer hangs hard on "Liberty City" screen

car111truck

car111truck

Got the game last Christmas and it never did work, and I tried the DVD on several computers, and I found it weird that it worked on none of them. I haven’t had this kind of trouble with a new game in years.

The game freezes when I try to start a new game, on the black screen that says “Liberty City” and the date with the airport name, whatever it says in the start of the game. Then the computer hangs hard and I have to reset it. I have tried different compatibility versions and I have gotten rid of daemon tools. And since I only have my laptop right now, there aren’t really any video updates for my video card that I can find.

1.73 GHz processor, 794 MHz, 1 Gig RAM Win XP, SP2

NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800 256 MB memory

C.R.A.S.H?

When You Put 794 MHZ Is That Your Processer Speed, I'm Confused You Put two Speeds. confused.gif

://z7.invisionfree.com/ViceCity_Talk/index.php?act=idx]Please Join my New ViceCity Talk Forum![/uR

When You Put 794 MHZ Is That Your Processer Speed, I'm Confused You Put two Speeds. confused.gif

No need to get confused. car111truck has clearly mentioned '1.73GHz processor'. So, that must be his processor speed.

@car111truck: There's nothing wrong with your laptop as far as I see. If the game didn't work on any other computer too, maybe the disc is damaged.

C.R.A.S.H?

Yes There is, He Did list TWO speeds! Can he Clarify Which Speed He Has. Also You May Want To Exchange your disc for a new copy, our friends at Target are very good about not working software!

://z7.invisionfree.com/ViceCity_Talk/index.php?act=idx]Please Join my New ViceCity Talk Forum![/uR

car111truck

sorry, its a 1.73 GHz processor. forget the other one.

I wouldnt think it would be a bad DVD since it installed fine. Am I right? The game gets into the menu and everything, it just hangs at that first screen, presumably right before an intro movie starts at the airport.

And the Best Buy receipt is long gone with the Christmas garbage.

I wouldnt think it would be a bad DVD since it installed fine. Am I right?

No. A buddy of mine once had a Windows 2000 install disc that had a scratch on the TOP, but it was severe enough to actually peel the top layer off there. It would install just fine, but would always lead to protection faults. That was a difficult one to diagnose!

CRASH is right though. If every machine you go to install it on, it doesn't work, that's a fine indication that the disc itself is bad in some way.