4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

PSU3 UK & OP2M UK

K4miL

Some cool new info, kudos guys.

About the 'hour to cross' thing:

Perhaps this means that speed limits are now inforced by the cops? In past GTAs, you can drive as fast as you want so you could get to places real fast. If a realistic speed limit was put in place then it might take someone an actual hour to cross the whole thing.

I'm not sure I would enjoy a police system that was that strict and complex, but you never know.

When they say it will take an hour, they mean an hour in real time.

Apparently LC is slightly smaller than SA. But you have to remember there's no irrelevant space, and it would make perfect since if it took you one hour with the traffic.

Savage10FP308

Houser never said their would be jetpacks in GTA IV. If you believe that to be true then post a link to that quote! Good luck with that because it doesn't exist! And I think these two mags are total bs. When talking about the different camera angles, they say their is "about four" camera angles!?!?! How can their be about 4? It's either 4 or it's not! Oh yeah, they also had the Statue of Liberty labelled the State of Liberty in a pic!

The way it's written, I'm sure it didn't come directly from R*. You get a real sense of it all when you read the entire article.

They will leave 70% of the game features a secret..

What could they hide that's gonna fill up some percentages.

We already know it's not size. That has been confirmed only one city.

BUT my guess is. Weather/seasons. Since they do not want to talk about the weather improvements..

I think there is a lot hidden there.. Maybe even seasons/snow.. would be awesome..

Snake Without a Tongue

To drive properly in SA would take longer than an hour. I can definitely see how it would be the same in the new LC now that there are no planes and more realistic roads.

True Crime NY Map looked small, but when you when started down the map it will take you a long time to reach the end of the map.

Rayo Puño

* Bollards poke out from the earth at wonky angles

what the f*ck is a bollard?

Blind Joe Death
Thanks for the scans guys, I appreciate it. Oh and @ Rayo Puno- Bollards are those small, stumpy metal poles that stick out of the ground.

lastmanonearth

About the part where the mag says "Cars are now far easier to control.", weren't they impossibly easy and light until now? I don't understand this comment. In the 15 minute demo dis-section on Games Radar, those guys talked about how steering is harder, but impressive.

I sure hope they add more weight to every vehicle. Even though that would make them slower they wouldn't insanely slide and spin at every impact.

An hour seems a little long, but it could be that there's no direct way to get from one end of the city to the other. I'd imagine there's no highways in LC so since you have no direct way of getting from one side to the complete other, it might take you awhile.

I think so too.

Snake Without a Tongue
About the part where the mag says "Cars are now far easier to control.", weren't they impossibly easy and light until now? I don't understand this comment. In the 15 minute demo dis-section on Games Radar, those guys talked about how steering is harder, but impressive.

I sure hope they add more weight to every vehicle. Even though that would make them slower they wouldn't insanely slide and spin at every impact.

They seemed to imply more precise steering and better gravity. Which is just what GTA needs. Also, I hope they changed the whole 'bump into a wall five times and catch fire' deal.

shaboobala

Additionally, some argued that San Andreas, at anywhere near 100 hours of gameplay, was just too long.

I find this ridiculous, how can a game be too long? Especially if it's at gta quality. Gta can never be too long, the longer it is, the more there is to do, the more you play. What kind of person sits there playing a game, then decides it's too long? Mabye some people's attention spans run out after x-amount of hours, but if it's "too long" then stop playing and then you got nothing to complain about.

notify.gif

FrozenFire

...What the hell is a bollard, and why are they at 'wonky' angles?

That has to be the most retarded-sounding sentance i've ever heard.

But then again, i'm just an ignorant American, and i'm sure alot of our sentances are way more wierd than that according to other countries v.v

brucewayne909

...What the hell is a bollard, and why are they at 'wonky' angles?

That has to be the most retarded-sounding sentance i've ever heard.

But then again, i'm just an ignorant American, and i'm sure alot of our sentances are way more wierd than that according to other countries v.v

I had no idea what that meant either, but I thought it would be best not to ask. wink.gif

gtahoodlum

1 "GTA hour" is very little.  dozingoff.gif

Seriously, what do you think? 60 minutes?

1 GTA hour used to be 1 real time minute.

it'll only take one minute to reach the other side confused.gif well that sucks wow.gif

Edited by gtahoodlum

Coral_City

"Is it really gonna take an hour?!"

"Maybe an ingame hour"

Blah blah blah. You can attempt to dissect that one line all you want, but it isn't going nowhere. I mean, you may think it's "OMG, IT'S GONNA TAKE A LONG TIME TO GET TO THE OTHER END OF THE CITY! SCORE!"...but it isn't. It's actually a tad bit boring (e.g. The Getaway, TC: SOLA, TC: NYC). My point being? I think even thirty minutes is suffice to satisfy the needs of the people on this forum sigh.gif why is everybody expecting so much?

Insane_Stunt_Guy

Two brand new articles on GTA 4 and plenty of weird, unbelievable and almost unjustifiable new info.

Firstly the one hour travel across the map comment seems to be a fabrication of the magazines writer. All indications point to a smaller map than SA and yet it will take at least twice the time?

Secondly the new "about 4" camera angles is nothing new really. The idea that Rockstar are making GTA 4 more realistic is nothing new.

These 2 magazines are probably the worst yet, which could indicate two things: either Rockstar has dried up the leaks of information or that the magazines are in fact crap.....

lol.gif Funny that PSU3 refers to Roman as Niko's brother and claims that the "fantastical" bikes found in San Andreas won't return. Gee i must be constantly high or something coz i swear i see at least three bikes a day...... mercie_blink.gif

Bollards are peices of concrete or plastic sticking out of the road or pavement to prohibit vehicles past that perimeter, and they are wonky, from either being hit alot or just bad roadworks.

I hope you are restricted from the start, I like messing around knowing theres a huge ammount of more of the game out there I havent even seen yet, plus it makes you more at home with the first island you start on, making it more of your home so when you go back to it, its more than just some crappy industrial site.

Also that way it encourages people to play at least abit of the story.

kT8ve9H.png

SI MoViE StAr

An hour seems a little long, but it could be that there's no direct way to get from one end of the city to the other.  I'd imagine there's no highways in LC so since you have no direct way of getting from one side to the complete other, it might take you awhile.

I think so too.

There's actually plenty of highways in NYC so I wouldn't understand why they wouldn't be put in Liberty City. Although...they're almost always backed up during rush hours because the interstate system here is so old and that's why we have the mass transit network to whisk us around the city.

NYCRoads

user posted image (Underneath BQE - Brooklyn)

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by SI MoViE StAr

About the whole "hour to get across" thing, I think it could be a in game minute. People keep saying that one GTA hour is one real time minute. Well, up until GTA: VCS, that has been true, but how do we know it will be the same in GTA4? In the trailer, they show actual gameplay. Gameplay that has been sped up super fast. We see peds zoom by. We can also see the way the shadows and lighting changes throughout the day. Well, based on how fast the peds are moving, and how fast the shadows are moving, I would say that one GTA hour is no longer just one real life minute. It seems like the days will be longer now.

I believe the above is true, but I think the magazine is BS. If they got that information from Rockstar, then I think Rockstar is giving half ass information to make it sound bigger. Kind of like how the Spider-Man 3 commercial was advertised as showing all actual gameplay. It was all gameplay, but that particular gameplay, was just a cutscene where you could press a button. Now, it may take an hour to get across, if you press the stick lightly to get the walking animation. So they can lie, but tell the truth at the same time.

Like me saying I will lift a car for $100, but when you pay to see it, I just lift a toy car.

Topher Ridge

I like your analogy, I to beleive the 1 hour travel time to be BS. It took about a half hour to walk from one side of SA to the other. So how can they say an hour even by foot.

Insane_Stunt_Guy

In the trailer, they show actual gameplay. Gameplay that has been sped up super fast. We see peds zoom by. We can also see the way the shadows and lighting changes throughout the day. Well, based on how fast the peds are moving, and how fast the shadows are moving, I would say that one GTA hour is no longer just one real life minute. It seems like the days will be longer now.

What are you some sort of expert on physics and timing... there's no indication of time being changed whatsoever. It is pure speculation on our part.

I don't know why people are taking this

One hour to cross the map
thing so seriously. It was not quoted by Houser, in fact there is hardly a mention of Houser whatsoever in the article. It may be a twisting of the words of what someone from Rockstar has said by someone at the magazine.

Like i said there has no indicatiojn that in game time has changed. Even if this is what the magazine meant, do you think they would not have mentioned, announced (after all it would be exclusive info) in their magazine that this was the case. This would be quite a drastic chanhge after all. No, i believe the magazine has no knowledge of any change because they weren't told because it most likely does not exist.

What are you some sort of expert on physics and timing... there's no indication of time being changed whatsoever. It is pure speculation on our part.

No, I didn't say that the time was changed. I just said that is what I think, based on what I see in the trailer. I think that the shadows would be moving much faster if it was still the same time they used in the previous GTA games. People are taking it so seriously, because if one thing is bullsh*t, that means it could all be bullsh*t. So what if Houser said it or the magazine said it, either way it is supposed to be true.

Now imagine if GTA IV looked like those pictures there. I want that kind of GTA. In 50 years maybe.

Insane_Stunt_Guy

People are taking it so seriously, because if one thing is bullsh*t, that means it could all be bullsh*t. So what if Houser said it or the magazine said it, either way it is supposed to be true.

Thats a pretty weak defence of the magazine. Yes it could all be bullsh*t but common sense says's it's not and yes it all should be true but again, common sense also says it won't all be.

The point i was trying to stress is that if the "time system" of GTA was altered and the magazine was referin g to this altered time when saying " it takes an hour to cross the map" they would also DEFINETLY mention that the timing system was changed, would they not.

People are taking it so seriously, because if one thing is bullsh*t, that means it could all be bullsh*t. So what if Houser said it or the magazine said it, either way it is supposed to be true.

Thats a pretty weak defence of the magazine. Yes it could all be bullsh*t but common sense says's it's not and yes it all should be true but again, common sense also says it won't all be.

The point i was trying to stress is that if the "time system" of GTA was altered and the magazine was referin g to this altered time when saying " it takes an hour to cross the map" they would also DEFINETLY mention that the timing system was changed, would they not.

I suppose they would. I was just bringing the time thing up as a suggestion. I said I think they were just stretching the truth to make it sound better. Thing is, if it is not all true, how are we to know what is true and what is not? If Rockstar had given them true information, why would they tell us that info, and then just throw in their own bullsh*t info as well? I would say that it is all true or all bullsh*t.

I think that Rockstar gave them all that information, and the hour to cross was just them making the game look bigger than it is. Like I said, lightly pressing the stick will take an hour. Or maybe it would take an hour if you stopped at all the interiors on the way across.