2003 Mercedes SL 500

epoxi

Hmm...this seems rather suspicious.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-03-Reg-MERCEDES...1QQcmdZViewItem

I've never seen a scam like this before...what is it? And how do I report it to eBay if I don't have an account? anuj_cop.gif

EDIT: Just viewed his other items and found a 2004 BMW X5, same price of £7,000...almost sure the cars don't exist now.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2004-BMW-X5-SPORT-AU...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by epoxi

9H7Sj34.jpg

Rocketkiller

It's obviously stolen, and I'm guessing the seller needs to get rid of it very, very quickly. I'm pretty sure that you need an account to report stuff, I could report it but I really don't feel like finding that link. There are plenty of ebayers on this forums who would probably report it though.

Toni.Cipriani

Or maybe he just forgot to mention it dosent come with the engine. turn.gif

Or there may be a huge or various tickets he didn't mention.

It's a situation. It happens. Well, it's an auction folks, maybe that isn't his reserve.

Maybe it's because it's Right Wheel Drive. tounge.gif

Jimi Hendrix / Vito Leone

Might just be a typo. Missed the 2 at the start.

Silly man its a UK auction and out steering wheels are meant to be on the right.

BqipfxO.png

Toni.Cipriani
Silly man its a UK auction and out steering wheels are meant to be on the right.

You didn't happen to catch my mockery.

=P

Jimi Hendrix / Vito Leone

Maybe its been in an accident and is an insurance write off.

A few hundred thousand miles on the clock?

Probably stolen though. Easier to forge the documents for an 'imported' car I would imagine.

BqipfxO.png

Well maybe the car isnt even where he says it is.

Maybe its just a random SL500 parked up somewhere, hes taken the pic, hes put it on Ebay.

Im sure if someone emailed him and said "Can I bring the money with me when I pick it up?"

Im sure the answer would be no. Anyone live near where the car is?

x3FWE.png

A few hundred thousand miles on the clock?

Thats what I thought at first since it wasent listed.

*gta star*

Seems odd to me, one of them SL500's are nearly £77,000 new, seeming though it's on an 03 plate, I doubt it would loose that much because Mercedes do hold their money quite well.

confused.gif

Like someone said, could have loads of miles, or it's stolen maybe...

I know if I had one, I wouldn't sell it for £7,000. tounge.gif

I just emailed the guy.

Hi,

How many miles?

Does it have an engine.

Ill see what he says.

tounge.gif

x3FWE.png

*gta star*

Lol, he probably won't reply... tounge.gif

It's an auto. Reason enough for me.

So because it's an automatic, does that mean that a £77,000 car depreciates to £7,000 ?

dontgetit.gifconfused.gif

Organic Zero
Lol, he probably won't reply... tounge.gif

It's an auto. Reason enough for me.

So because it's an automatic, does that mean that a £77,000 car depreciates to £7,000 ?

dontgetit.gifconfused.gif

in as sports car? DEFINATLY!

automatic gear + sports cars = big no no... anuj_cop.gif

*gta star*
I think you'll find that practically most of Mercedes sports cars are Automatic though, with Tiptronic.

guitarrocker

Possibly be wrecked multiple times, salvage car, stolen, theres plenty of things that could be wrong with it, this is jsut another reason to stay away from eBay when buying high dollar items.

The way he's listed virtually every addon (never heard of a Mercedes with Cassette and CD Changer), I'm concerned it doesn't even exist! Probably stole some pictures from another auction. Mind you, it'll be hard to scam the guy buying it if he has to turn up to check it out...unless you're from The Real Hustle.

If it's stolen, I can't help but be tempted to buy it: imagine turning up to school with an SL as your first car!

EDIT: Just viewed his other items and found a 2004 BMW X5, same price of £7,000...almost sure the cars don't exist now.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2004-BMW-X5-SPORT-AU...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by epoxi

9H7Sj34.jpg

Let me raise some points here.

SL500:

Exterior Options: 

Alloy Wheels, Catalytic Converter, Rear Spoiler, Tow Bar, Tuning

Hmm... Tow bar? Tuning?

In-Car Entertainment Options: AM/FM Stereo, Cassette Player, CD Multichanger, CD Player, Navigation System, Premium Sound System

CD and Tape?

That, plus he mentions it has a sunroof and that it's silver. LOL

As for the X5, the spec is exactly the same!

ocuksig.jpg

I've noticed that too Dup, but what I can't seem to work out is what the heck is this guy going to do once you e-mail him?

Obviously he can't ask for cash up front since you're supposed to collect the car (generally you don't actually buy a car until you've had a good inspection of it).

If he just wants to spam peoples' e-mails...it seems an awfully long-winded way to do it.

Also, he can get in a hell of a lot of trouble for leaving the number plate on the X5 (which by the way was photographed in a completely different location...looks like a posh suburb around London; compared to the SL on the estate).

9H7Sj34.jpg

In-Car Entertainment Options: AM/FM Stereo, Cassette Player, CD Multichanger, CD Player, Navigation System, Premium Sound System

CD and Tape?

Benzes come with both nowa days

But the fact that the X5 is exactly the same kills it.

SIP YEK NOD

And the award for dumbest e-bay cheat of the year goes to........

that guy!

user posted image

And the award for dumbest e-bay cheat of the year goes to........

that guy!

I'm not so sure: I've seen some pretty pathetic attempts at pyramid schemes, and guys selling Freeware.

One of the most interesting ones was a guy trying to sell a manual (not a real one, an electronic one!) which was available from the manufacturer's website.

9H7Sj34.jpg

Well if someone does actually send money for these cars, then they are dumber than the seller, by far.

Im not sure what happens on PayPal but im sure you can just walk away with the money.

Everytime ive bought on Ebay, I had to pay straight away.

Just have to keep an eye on these and see what happens.

x3FWE.png

Everytime ive bought on Ebay, I had to pay straight away.

This is a Classified Ad: nothing to do with PayPal at all methinks.

9H7Sj34.jpg

I got a reply from the guy.

He's in Holland lol!

So he wants to ship it from Holland, free of charge of course, then you get the invoice etc, AFTER YOU HAVE PAID.

Hello,

I must apologize for the delay in the response to your email, but I am literally overwhelmed by the number of offers I have received in the last 12 hours.

I am the registered keeper and there is no outstanding finance on the car. It has no damage, no scratches or dents on paintwork & no rips or burns on interior, no hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition and hasn't been involved in any accident.The car runs awesome, it is in a perfect cosmetic and engine conditions and meticulously maintained. The pictures from my ad are from my car but due to my low photography level, the real car is much better than the picture.

My location is Holland and the car is being shipped from here. I made the auction for UK because the vehicle has UK spec (right handed, speed in miles not KM).The selling price of £7000 British Pounds includes all costs to import to the UK, shipping to your front door and insurance taxes.

You will get from me the keys and all documents to register the vehicle in UK, and also a bill of sale in your name and signed by me

You'll not be liable for import taxes/duties (as the item is over 6 months old). The car will be insured during transportation for the purchase price of £7000. If something happens on the road, you will receive the insurance from the delivery service.

If you agree, please get back in touch ASAP .

PS. I have to tell you that I have other serious offers that I have to consider and I will make a decision regarding this sale function of time.

x3FWE.png

*gta star*

LOL, Waddy, make an offer man.

It's worth it...

tounge.gif

rolleyes.gif

Classic car scam operating since 2001. Trust a car seller.

Signature soon.

Latest email from the guy, even im confused now.

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

I am a man of my word and I will promise to do this deal safe. I am not trying to be difficult; I am trying to run this deal legitimately and smoothly.

I know that it’s a large sum of money to just be sending blindly.

No funds exchange hands until you inspect the vehicle.

Because of the nature and value of the vehicle being sold, I request that the amount of £3500 to be paid to an eBay agent and after a ten days inspection period of the car, the money will be released to me. The transaction will be fully under ebay surveillance, giving both security and insurance that nothing will go wrong. They are acting like a third party in this deal.

I will have eBay to contact you to start the official procedure for this international deal, and you’ll receive the transaction details shortly. Please go through them exactly and I will appreciate your positive feedback if you feel the transaction has gone well.I will need your full name and shipping adress so ebay can notify you about payment and shipping and we can move forward.

I will be waiting for your email.

Thank you,

Someone explain the scam again.

x3FWE.png

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.