4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Error eading disc PS2

Baher131

Baher131

Everytime I start the race in the mission "Alloy wheels of steel", the game satrts having graphical problems, the freezes and says "Error Reading the GTA Vice City DVD". Any ideas anyone?

Ring_of_Fire

The PC bugfix list states "Clean your disc" for excessive fingerprints. It could be your memory card but I doubt it, so don't worry about it. Cleaning the disc might definitely help to allow the PS2 to read the scenery data faster. It's kinda like defragmenting in a way.

* If you can post a screenshot either through a capture card or digital camera, I would begin to know what sort of texture problem you're having.

Demarest
It could be your memory card

No it can not. On the PS2, the message is always a data throughput issue. USUALLY a dirty disc, but can also be a dirty lens, failing guidance motor, or other stresses that can cause the laser to not read the disc properly. The memory card only serves to save and load one's game.

Ring_of_Fire

Oooh, knew that already and I doubted that but OK biggrin.gif. Hope his PS2 is a working one then! So Baher131, if that's the case -> do you have problems with other games too (most likely not!? moto_whistle.gif) Remember that even if you clean off the fingerprints, there's still the scratches that you have to worry about as well. But then again, I suppose the lens of the PS2 could still read through the scratches and read the data normally. Make sure you don't type in any cheatcodes or use cheat devices such as GS/CB/AR while saving or else it will corrupt your memory card save file, and you will probably begin to experience graphical/in-game problems all over again. Remember to follow Demarest's advice too.

* Yeah so after cleaning the disc, try starting the same mission again over a couple times w/o cheatcodes or cheat devices enabled. This is NOT a solution, but what should have been asked earlier before: Do you have the legit copy of the game, or did you burn it? -> because that's actually possible...

Edited by Ring_of_Fire
Demarest
Make sure you don't type in any cheatcodes or use cheat devices such as GS/CB/AR while saving or else it will corrupt your memory card save file, and you will probably begin to experience graphical/in-game problems all over again.

No you will not... STILL. Read the topic; The symptom is the game halting, presenting the message that it is unable to read the DVD. NOTHING about the memory card could be a contributing factor. Furthermore, the corruption of a save file makes the difference between the game being able to load a particular file and not. No more no less. If you do not know these things, don't speak as if you do.

Baher131

Make sure you don't type in any cheatcodes or use cheat devices such as GS/CB/AR while saving or else it will corrupt your memory card save file, and you will probably begin to experience graphical/in-game problems all over again. Remember to follow Demarest's advice too.

* Yeah so after cleaning the disc, try starting the same mission again over a couple times w/o cheatcodes or cheat devices enabled. This is NOT a solution, but what should have been asked earlier before: Do you have the legit copy of the game, or did you burn it? -> because that's actually possible...

I never use cheats or cheat devices and I tried cleaning the CD millions of times, but the same thing happens. And all the other games work just fine and there are not a lot of scratches on it. Yeah um, about the legit copy thing, I live in Egypt so it's very hard to get original copies except at sky high prices.

Edited by Baher131
Demarest
Well if its not an official disc, then of course disc read errors can occur. Manufacturers put certain things on discs to help prevent piracy. Furthermore, this forum is for Troubleshooting VC, not bogus copies thereof.
Ring_of_Fire

Heh-heh, see. My hopes for troubleshooting this thread were almost going bankrupt but until the thread started replied. So an accurate solution to this problem Baher131 -> would be to buy the game.

I never use cheats or cheat devices and I tried cleaning the CD millions of times, but the same thing happens. And all the other games work just fine and there are not a lot of scratches on it.

Try to complete all the other missions first and get back to "Alloy Wheels of Steel" later. You know how Vice City stays already, it's a buggy game that bugs the hell out of PC gamers as well. IF not, I would keep on trying until it somehow manages to fix itself or start a new game. Otherwise, get a brand new copy.

it's very hard to get original copies except at sky high prices.

FuJu: No warez

Edited by Fuzzy Juzzy
Furthermore, this forum is for Troubleshooting VC, not bogus copies thereof.

Indeed. No warez.

Locked.