Microsoft go on a banning spree

Rob.

Kotaku - Xbox Live Banhammer Whacking Modders
user posted image
In an effort to "create a level playing field for gamers" Microsoft has begun banning Xbox 360 owners from Xbox Live who have modified the firmware on their console. According to the company's Gamerscore Blog, users won't have their accounts deleted, but won't be able to access Live from a modded console.

Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb wrote on his (temporary) site:

"As you can imagine, we have a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to modded consoles connecting to LIVE. We're very serious about this, and if we detect you have a modded Xbox then you will not be able to connect to Xbox Live. If you see this screen and get Status Code: Z: 8015 - 190D...that means your console has been banned."

We've heard of a few users who claim not to have modified their console in any way still getting the above ban error, but have no way to confirm this. If I were in the market for a used Xbox 360, I'd be very wary of buying one over the next few weeks.

Source

I imagine this means if you're using a flashed console the same rule applies?

Is this to all modifications made on an Xbox 360 console? I guess we'll find out soon.

user posted image

Yeah, this would apply to flashed consoles, because it's the firmware that's flashed. tounge.gif

Ah well, shame.

F4tISZ2.png

xY1j6rP.gif

See...thats what you get for being Naughty.

Liam (MmM's) Owned. biggrin.gif

I was actually thinking about it aswell. Phew.

x3FWE.png

"an important part of our efforts to try and maintain a fair gaming environment for the large majority of gamers that play by the rules".

What the f*ck has a flashed 360 got to do with a "fair playing field", having a flashed console gives you no advantage whatsoever. BULLsh*t

That sucks for modders, but there will be a way around it, all the talented people out there someone will find a way around it and then be able to get on live again. wink.gif

Oh and if there banning flashed firmwares, i have a backup of my original firmware, just bang it back on and WHAM. biggrin.gif

Edited by Seddo

s0h607k.jpg

MyMothersMySister

Oh and if there banning flashed firmwares, i have a backup of my original firmware, just bang it back on and WHAM.  biggrin.gif

Not going to happen mate.

The ban is on Microsofts end and short of convincing them otherwise. It means no more Live. The gamertags and everything are still intact and will work should you use it on an unmodded console. You Xbox360 id has been banned from ever connecting to live again.

One thing confuses me though. They harp on about creating a l'evel playing field'. This is bollocks as having a flashed console never allowed you to really cheat or gain any advantage in any way shape or form. The glitches etc were all born from bad game code. What it did allow was for you toplay backups of your opriginals to avoid getting them scratched by a crappy dvd drive.

Microsoft haven't stopped the 360 from booting up backup copies of games which in itself is confusing. I thought that would have been the main area to target. With the new update etc, I thought they might have tweaked the firmware to bork this. Even though the newer modded firmwares are jitter free. It seems they have either turned a blind eye to this or are unable to stop it anyway.

Also seems to be very inconsistent. I know of people on my list with modded 360's who are not banned and also people without modded 360's which have also caught the ban. After calling them up they've received feedback saying it's just a glitch (in the matrix) and that they'll be fine. I don't believe that for one minute and believe MS have yet again made a balls up. Wether the intention was good or bad. This is the last thing they need atm.

What this does mean thatwe should see some more homebrew and emulation programs being worked on from the modding scene of 360. Which can only be a good thing. Nownoone has to pussyfoot around the Live issue. It will open up new doors and users who are banned fromlive won't give too much of a second thought to trying out the new programs.

In summary.

oooopsie lol.gif

Messiah To The Animals

#Cyclop9

Oh and if there banning flashed firmwares, i have a backup of my original firmware, just bang it back on and WHAM.  biggrin.gif

Not going to happen mate.

I was thinking positively and then you come along and dash my hopes. mad.gif

I can't be arsed buying a new 360, i just hope someone figures away of getting back on Live. cryani.gif

s0h607k.jpg

Can someone please explain to me in what way can 360's be modded?

All this jargon like "flashed".... its confusin, ya know.

Well flashing your 360's DVD drive's firmware sort of tricks the 360 into thinking your playing original games when in fact it's a copied game.

s0h607k.jpg

Can someone please explain to me in what way can 360's be modded?

You can watercool it, yo. I would if I had one, yes I would.

I have just been looking around a few website and forums and it looks like Microsoft has just loss about 35% of it's Gold customers and the people commenting on about PS3 now.

Remember this is the day Microsoft lost the console war, congrats Sony. wink.gif

s0h607k.jpg

f*cking ouch Microsoft.

So MS loose money anyway, they should of just left it lmao. Seddo, PS3 online sucks compared to 360 really.

user posted image

f*cking ouch Microsoft.

So MS loose money anyway, they should of just left it lmao. Seddo, PS3 online sucks compared to 360 really.

Shut up you bitch. mad.gif

I'll be back i will have my revenge.

s0h607k.jpg

Wow... what a good way to loose money. Sony can now raise salaries to their employees. Lucky.

For all the users of a modded version Xbox Live it's a sad day ((un)fortunately I don't have any consoles). My condolences go to their Xbox's biggrin.gif. Microsoft really f*cked up this time...

We will be the arms that lift you up oqKntbC.gifWe will be the hand that strike you down

I say they are just protecting their interests. However, this seems to be glitched. Some works needs to go into it.

_-playero-_
Yeah, this would apply to flashed consoles, because it's the firmware that's flashed. tounge.gif

Ah well, shame.

Yeah, it's a turn off... mad.gif

TheDude5000

LOL at least they didn't lose $1.9 billion, eh? I'm just stoked I never modded mine.

user posted image

Wow... what a good way to loose money. Sony can now raise salaries to their employees. Lucky.

Dude, i don't think the potential loss of Money MS are going to make from this (which may be minimal anyway) equates to the pay raise of the employees of the competiting company.

user posted image

Dude, i don't think the potential loss of Money MS are going to make from this (which may be minimal anyway) equates to the pay raise of the employees of the competiting company.

I meant to say: Microsoft bans consoles - less Xbox's bought. Sony has an advantage - more buyers of their consoles, because they think that their Xbox will get banned too. And with that money, they make the salaries bigger tounge.gif.

We will be the arms that lift you up oqKntbC.gifWe will be the hand that strike you down

TheDude5000

I meant to say: Microsoft bans consoles - less Xbox's bought. Sony has an advantage - more buyers of their consoles, because they think that their Xbox will get banned too. And with that money, they make the salaries bigger tounge.gif.

Yeah yeah you don't know what you're on about. Game Boy Advance is outselling the PS3. A 6 year old handheld console is outselling it. This will not do anything but RAISE sales. Some asswipe gets his console banned? He buys another one. The casual consumer has no clue about modding, nor the consequences, and it won't stop them from buying a console.

user posted image

It's not all doom and gloom yet, one of my contacts said that there is a firmware coming out that will get around the banning, i don't know how or if it will work but i'm hoping it does.

s0h607k.jpg

VideoPoker
LOL at least they didn't lose $1.9 billion, eh?

Yeah!

J4KPE60.gif

Moonshield's less handsome join date brother <3

Colanbarry
It's not all doom and gloom yet, one of my contacts said that there is a firmware coming out that will get around the banning, i don't know how or if it will work but i'm hoping it does.

"Contacts" sounds dodgy.

Was thinking of getting mine done looks like i won't bother now.

And tbh microsoft arent losing out on too much money the live subscription fee is only pittance any way.

Game Boy Advance is outselling the PS3.

That really doesn't mean anything since the GBA is $100 and the PS3 is $600+.

DVf9mQs.png

Formerly known as The General

Also because not many four year olds could use a PS3..

Does it really matter what console is outselling which? Its your choice to like whatever console.

user posted image

TheDude5000

Also because not many four year olds could use a PS3..

Does it really matter what console is outselling which? Its your choice to like whatever console.

I'm showing Edmachine that a few banned consoles aren't going to hurt 360 sales.

user posted image

Would changing the Ring LEDs or appearance-based modifications be banned too?

TheDude5000

Ha...no, they shouldn't be. They're interesting in outing those playing burned images/games, not people cosmetically screwing with their 360's.

user posted image

Dome Piece

Can anyone tell me, is it dangerous to mod the 360?

Messing with the firmware on some PSPs caused them to brick. Are there any serious problems with updating the firmware on the 360? - Dome Piece

Yes and if you even apply nail polish to the console Microsoft will find out and your Xbox will fire a laser at you.

fV9tG4b.gif

hmm, I guess they should've seen that coming tounge.gif

I remember querying about the 360 before and modding etc.~ someone did point out I'd no longer be able to play online or such thing

then again, it still doesn't dent "piracy"~ most in the lower income won't even bother paying for online fees like XBL, and would forgo it for single player experiences like crackdown or whatnot

icon14.gif to M$ for not banning the account altogether tho

4DksF.png

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.