Sony loses $1.9 Billion?

TheDude5000

TheDude5000

Whoops.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/oh-snap/playstati...loss-260809.php

So close. Sony have handed in their financial results for the year ending March 31. You may remember, they launched the PS3 during that time, and even though it's cost them a f*ckton of cash, it's not doing so well. Think that's affected their bottom line? You bet it has.

While last year Sony Corp as a whole raked in 226.42 billion yen (USD$1.88 billion) in operating profits, this year, they could only scrape together 71.8 billion (USD$596 million). That's a drop-off of USD$1.28 billion dollars. Think that was because of the PS3? You bet it was.

The games biz lost a staggering $1.9 billion, so anyone who took a guess at that $2 billion loss, go get yourself a gold star.

Please direct all "snap", "oh snap" and "pwned" statements to the comments section, the line forms to your left. Luke Plunkett

PS3 launch hits Sony profits [Gamesindustry]

Oh, and lets check sales charts, shall we? Looks like DS and Wii are dominating, 360 ain't doing too bad, and PS3..is getting outsold by a 6 year old handheld system. Ouch.

http://vgchartz.com/aweekly.php

NDS 168,204 168,204 500,000 (Up 3%)

Wii 104,157 104,157 320,000 (Up 3%)

360 66,449 66,449 250,000 (Up 4%)

PS2 62,018 62,018 250,000 (Down 5%)

PSP 43,220 43,220 190,000 ( Down 4%)

GBA 28,626 28,626 120,000 ( Down 7%)

PS3 26,440 26,440 110,000 ( Down 10%)

GC 4109 4109

XB 54 54

Discuss.

user posted image

Well, What do you expect when the console is -£425, when in another 5 years, there will probably be another one...

d653p.png

SIP YEK NOD

And that is why katarugi is "stepping down"

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/cont...0516_346923.htm

However, investors were in for a nasty surprise on May 16: Sony failed to hit its own PS3 sales targets, Chief Financial Officer Nobuyuki Oneda said. Although the company had forecast global shipments of 6 million machines by the Mar. 31 end of its fiscal year, its factories made and sent off just 5.5 million. Worse, the actual number of PS3s in stores was closer to 3.6 million. The remaining 1.9 million were either sitting in warehouses or en route to stores, leaving as much as $1.1 billion in inventory. Perhaps that's why the company chose to stick to a more conservative sales forecast of 11 million units this year.

That explains some of the deficit, 1.1 billion in inventory sitting in a warehouse somewhere, only 3.6 million sold to stores, if they can't move the stock they have, they won't buy more from sony.

anyways, aprils NPD results hit the net tomorrow afternoon, should be interesting.

user posted image

deathdealer

the reason the ps3 had low sales is because of price. not everyone can afford a $642 (that's the cost of the ps3 +tax in florida) for a game system. fortunatly for me, i had birthday money to save for it. i wonder what will the ps4 cost, $1200?

the next xbox would probaly cost $600-$800 dollars and nintendo well.......

either way, i'm now saving up for a 360 and after i buy a 360 i'll save for the next gen console in future years. no matter what though, i have no regrets.

TheDude5000

And if they price drop, they're even more screwed because they lose more money. They're in a pretty bad spot right now.

user posted image

So, to basically sum it up, this is the equivilent of Y2K for PS3 fanboys.

I'm not suprised, but I'm kind of dissapointed. I never expected a Sony console to go this low on the sales charts.

the reason the ps3 had low sales is because of price. not everyone can afford a $642 (that's the cost of the ps3 +tax in florida) for a game system. fortunatly for me, i had birthday money to save for it. i wonder what will the ps4 cost, $1200?

either way, i'm now saving up for a 360 and after i buy a 360 i'll save for the next gen console in future years. no matter what though, i have no regrets.

I doubt Sony will make their console the most expensive again. Not enough hardcore gamers out there. I can't say how much the next console will be, but I would expect it to be cheaper than at least the Xbox. I also think Sony will skip the next "round" of gaming. So Xbox is on console #2, I think when they make console #3, Sony will wait and then they both release console #4 around the same time.

just another thug

I doubt Sony will make their console the most expensive again. Not enough hardcore gamers out there. I can't say how much the next console will be, but I would expect it to be cheaper than at least the Xbox. I also think Sony will skip the next "round" of gaming. So Xbox is on console #2, I think when they make console #3, Sony will wait and then they both release console #4 around the same time.

They aren't going to skip the next round of consoles. Are you an idiot? The only reason they would skip the next round of consoles is if they were actively trying to go bankrupt. A company who sells video game consoles is not going to simply skip an opportunity to sell video game consoles.

user posted image

They aren't going to skip the next round of consoles. Are you an idiot? The only reason they would skip the next round of consoles is if they were actively trying to go bankrupt. A company who sells video game consoles is not going to simply skip an opportunity to sell video game consoles.

I think it all depends on how much the technology advances. They are already losing money for every PS3 they make. The only way that would change is if they downgraded their system, which would be suicide. Otherwise they will put out another system with a bigger price tag than the PS3. Lets say that Xbox puts out a new system and price it at around $600. By then the PS3 will have a price cut probably. But if the technology hasn't advanced that much, then the PS3 could then compete strongly against the Xbox 3 because the PS3 would be cheaper.

But if their in the negatives right now, why would they make another console that cost even more? Then they would be losing even more money. Just because you put out a new console doesn't mean that people will but it. It would have to be "better" than the PS3, which means it would cost them more to make and the price tag would be higher than ever. But if they skip a gen, then the PS4 and X4 would be around the same price range.

It is way too early to even consider any of that, but it isn't impossible. It is likely that Sony will turn their current stature around and not need to do that anyway, but if they stayed in their current "bad state," they couldn't just keep going just to fit in. That would just be digging yourself a hole.

just another thug

I think it all depends on how much the technology advances. They are already losing money for every PS3 they make. The only way that would change is if they downgraded their system, which would be suicide. Otherwise they will put out another system with a bigger price tag than the PS3. Lets say that Xbox puts out a new system and price it at around $600. By then the PS3 will have a price cut probably. But if the technology hasn't advanced that much, then the PS3 could then compete strongly against the Xbox 3 because the PS3 would be cheaper.

But if their in the negatives right now, why would they make another console that cost even more? Then they would be losing even more money. Just because you put out a new console doesn't mean that people will but it. It would have to be "better" than the PS3, which means it would cost them more to make and the price tag would be higher than ever. But if they skip a gen, then the PS4 and X4 would be around the same price range.

It is way too early to even consider any of that, but it isn't impossible. It is likely that Sony will turn their current stature around and not need to do that anyway, but if they stayed in their current "bad state," they couldn't just keep going just to fit in. That would just be digging yourself a hole.

Stop talking out of your ass. Google Economics101 and read.

user posted image

Where do you disagree? I'm not trying to be a dick, just making predictions. I don't see why you people get so pissed so easy. You think Sony will create PS4 even if they are still losing money on PS3s?

SIP YEK NOD

April 2007

Nintendo DS 471k

Wii 360k

PlayStation 2 194k

PlayStation Portable 183k

Xbox 360 174k

Game Boy Advance 84k

PlayStation 3 82k

GameCube 13k

Top 10 Software Items- April 2007 Units

NDS POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA APR 2007 EVERYONE (E) 1.045 M

NDS POKEMON PEARL VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA APR 2007 EVERYONE (E) 712K

WII SUPER PAPER MARIO NINTENDO OF AMERICA APR 2007 EVERYONE (E) 352K

WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA FEB 2007 EVERYONE (E) 249K

360 GUITAR HERO 2 W/ GUITAR ACTIVISION MAR 2007 TEEN (T) 197K

PS2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR ACTIVISION NOV 2006 TEEN (T) 142K

360 SPIDER-MAN 3 ACTIVISION APR 2007 TEEN (T) 117K

PS2 SPIDER-MAN 3 ACTIVISION APR 2007 TEEN (T) 105K

PS2 GOD OF WAR II SONY MAR 2007 MATURE (M) 101K

PS2 MLB '07: THE SHOW SONY FEB 2007 EVERYONE (E) 79K

EEP!

i don't know what is suprising, the ps3 under 100k, the 360 version of guitar hero outselling the ps2 version, or the 360 version of spider-man outselling the ps2 version. with 10x the install base, they can't move more product?

user posted image

TheDude5000

Good to see PSP picking up some steam, it's a very underrated system simply because it's sales have been a bit dissapointing. 360 has had a software drought this Spring save for one or two titles, so it's no suprise sales aren't too high, still outselling PS3 2 to 1 though..

Oh, and lol:

user posted image

user posted image

Exkabewbikadid
I doubt Sony will make their console the most expensive again. Not enough hardcore gamers out there*

*Correction: not enough morons out there willing to invest in a machine full of overly ambitious, arcane hardware with an agenda to push a propietary format (not that I wish to label any current PS3 owners as morons provided that they are educated consumers who are enthusiastic enough to spend the dough, rather than mere blindsided fanboys).

As I've said all along, Sony has made some terrible decisions with the PS3. They invested a sh*tload into the CELL's R&D in hopes of using it in multiple devices. They should have taken the same route as MS and just had a custom-tailored multicore PPC designed just for the PS3 backed by a well documented sdk for development.

The CELL's outcome backfired on Sony, which in turn led them to include a custom Nvidia G70 GPU, which happens to be the PS3's most expensive component.

And finally, Blu-Ray is only there because Sony is so desperate to win a format war all in the name of market share. Unfortunately, the format isn't cheap to manufacture and is by no means superior to HD DVD (sure it has a greater storage density, but it also uses "inferior" encoding compared to HD DVD, and therefor requires more space). But it looks as the the world's largest retailer, the almighty Wal-Mart (which has 40% of DVD sales) will likely sell HD DVD players and media exclusively.

It's sad. I don't want to see the PS3 do so poorly simply because the console market can only move forward when there is strong competition. If one dominates, then progress stagnates.

oQywcQM.jpg

Are you trying to say that Sony could keep the PS3 as their flagship console until the forth xbox?

That's like selling horse carts for the same price as cars with engines.

Ahh, its pretty obvious that PS3 will lose Next Gen war, the Higher tech console always does, For example, 64 was faster than PS1, but PS1 sold more, Xbox had better graphics and CPU than PS2, but PS2 sold more.
New account, Joe.

I knew this sh*t from day one, I have Four PS3's sitting in my Electronics cabinet. They aren't going anywhere. I sell the Nintendo Wii units as soon as they come in along with the Nintendo DS and the PSP. Basically the only thing collecting dust in my store is the PS3 and the Black PS2's and that's only because the Silver PS2's are now more popular.

My Summer Item for our store is the Rubiks Cube, now...it maybe just some trend around here...I dunno about every where else, but my Rubiks cube sales over the past Two months have alone beaten our stores PS3 sales. Sad isn't it? Beaten by the f*cking Rubiks cube.

fV9tG4b.gif

They're likely to make double that money by christmas.

yea, Rubiks cubes are sweet.

oh....

no, "they" won't.

Exkabewbikadid
Yes... 'they' will, maybe triple.

You may be right... that's if the rumors about Kutaragi's new profession as a street hooker with a penis are actually true.

oQywcQM.jpg

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.