NY Politician Happy Staten Island Left Out of GTA

pyramid head

pyramid head

Fans of the Grand Theft Auto series are eagerly awaiting GTA IV, due out for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 later this year.

The latest installment in the controversial game franchise is set in Liberty City, a vitualized representation of the Big Apple.

But as today’s New York Times reports, the borough of Staten Island has been left out of the game. And while some gamers are upset, at least one New York politician is pleased:

Not everyone, however, is bemoaning the exclusion of the city’s most bucolic borough. The Grand Theft Auto series has been widely pilloried by parents and elected officials. The State Senate recently formed a task force on video game violence and appointed Senator Andrew Lanza

, Republican of Staten Island, to lead it.

“I’m glad Staten Island is left out, frankly,” Mr. Lanza said. Describing the game as “poisonous,” he reflected on the real reason his borough did not make the cut.

“Perhaps it’s because they know Staten Island is the safest place in the entire city,” he said.

source http://gamepolitics.com/2007/05/13/ny-poli...-out-of-gta-iv/

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/13/nyregion...gin&oref=slogin

i think it sucks that staten island has been removed from the game

i wouldn't be surprised if new york politicians threatened to sue rockstar

if they didn't take staten island out of the game.

devil.gif

Staten Island isn't that great compared to the other boroughs, nothing to be too proud about.

“Perhaps it’s because they know Staten Island is the safest place in the entire city,” he said.

Gee...i wonder if that's because NO ONE really wants to live there. It being the scumhole of New York City and all...

Not really the scome hole anymore, they are cleaning up teh landfil and turing it into parks. But thats what SI mostly is, just residential area, parks and crap. no major or divers areas like they have in the other boroughs. And they only have 1 train that runs from top to bottom, that dosent even have a letter or number name.

Staten Island could've been nice; could've served as some countryside substitute possibly.

I've never been to New York, so I don't really have an opinion on any of the boroughs, atleast not outside the ones I make from seeing photos, watching movies, or playing games that are in New York.

Vanilla Shake

Staten Island didn't make the cut because Rockstar said that we'd be getting the same thing from Jersey (Alderney), so it would have just been a waste, while all of the other boroughs have many more characteristics that seperate them from each other, like Brooklyn's rundown neighborhoods, Queens' melting pot districts, The Bronx's hip-hop flavored population, Manhattan's skyline/financial districts, and New Jersey's suburbs.

Guess what Staten Island is....You guessed it. Suburbs. That's probably one of the reasons we're not also seeing a representation of Long Island in the game, because that's basically New York City's suburbs.

TC718 / <629 / CF5

NGEh8XV.png

i live in staten island and i would WANT to see it in the game for many reasons, one of which just to drive around and play in the area i live, which would be kinda cool.

anyhoo i hate how everyone says that staten island is just the dump, etc,etc,etc we dont have anything else. Staten island however is more than that. Ive been to quieter towns and stuff like that where city people compare staten island to those towns. however staten island is nothing like that, heck we're basically a city-mini city. We are populated, (yes you see people walking on the streets) and we're not all rich italian snobs who drive beemers and benzs and buy their kids escalades. Staten island has like this "imaginary" line that seperates the north from the south, or the poor [north] from the rich [south]. I would have loved to see them include that in the gta4 gameplay

oh well

not to mention staten island is populated with a lotta russians, and i believe the main character is russian? Man someone should now make a SI mod.

Well its kinda dosent seem right if they want to recreate NYC, but insted of adding all the boroughs, they add another state. I mean, NJ is a major part of the NYC metro area, but, I mean if you want to recreate NYC, really recreate it.

Wu-Tang-N-Harmony

Shaolins left out cryani.gif soo