Better Upgrades for a gamiung machine

Gouveia

Hey guys. I saw a lot of games that are coming and all of them need a lot of RAM, some f*cking new Video cards and stuff... I have a P4(2.8 GHZ), 512 RAM, Nvidia 5000(something like that), 120GB HD and some other things... What are the parts, and their prices, of the best thing that I can have for gaming? Thanks in advance.

First of all what type of RAM, DDR, DDR2. And what type of graphics card slot do you have, AGP or PCI Express.

In terms of brands I always go Corsair for RAM and XFX for graphics card. Without more info, I can't be much more specific.

Good Luck

Build a whole new system.

P4's out

More than likely DDR RAM, which for AMD Socket 939 (which are slowly fading) is fine, but for all Intel and AMD (M2) CPUs it's DDR2.

There for with a new CPU you'll need a new mobo.

New video card is obvious.

Gonna need a new PSU with all of this as well.

And since games are on DVDs and some started to come on dual-layer DVDs, you're talking about 4-8GB for installs, this means a much better HDD or keep the 120GB (as long as it's 7200RPM) and just get a second huge HDD and install the games on there.

Personally I would keep that system as it is, use it for IM chat, web surfing, home work (or the alike) and well basically anything not game related. Build a whole new rig just for gaming.

If you seriously just want to upgrade what you have now.

Get at least 2GB of RAM

You say your current card is a nVidia 5series, then the most I would spend is about $100-150USD (and that's pushing it) for a 6series (6800non-Ultra or GS if possible) If you can find a 7series AGP card for that price range, then jump on it.

Get a second HDD, 300+GB don't spend more than $100USD, and install the games on there.

First of all what type of RAM, DDR, DDR2. And what type of graphics card slot do you have, AGP or PCI Express.

In terms of brands I always go Corsair for RAM and XFX for graphics card. Without more info, I can't be much more specific.

Good Luck

As long as it's not Corsair value RAM. I use to suggest this, then I got 2 bad kits back to back.

First of all what type of RAM, DDR, DDR2.  And what type of graphics card slot do you have, AGP or PCI Express. 

In terms of brands I always go Corsair for RAM and XFX for graphics card.  Without more info, I can't be much more specific. 

Good Luck

As long as it's not Corsair value RAM. I use to suggest this, then I got 2 bad kits back to back.

G Skill and OCZ are also good

For the CPU, get a COre 2 Duo or AMD K10

Motherboard: ASUS, DFI and eVGA are good brands

Graphics: eVGA, or XFX, or HIS (Depends on what cards really)

RAM: Corsair, OCZ or G Skill

PSU (Get a new one just incase your current one can't handle new stuffs) Silverstone, Corsair or OCZ

New account, Joe.

Fozzy Fozborne

Be careful when combining OCZ Gold or Platinum and an Asus motherboard. Asus motherboards are known to have problems detecting the RAM and can refuse to boot.

Videocards and Hard Drives are almost all the same unless it has "superclocked, OC, etc" it's faster than a standard card. Hard drives mostly only change in their warranty length.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.