Virtual Disk Drive

Sicologikal

Sicologikal

Hi,

Im just after messing up the drive on my computer. When I enter the cd it makes an unusual noise that I havent heard before! The computer doesnt read the cd! Im on a website now and Im thinking of downloading a virtual disk drive program but

Will it work for Vice City?

Its better than that CD Crack...too much malware!

Cheers! icon14.gif

Cracks don't come with malware. You've downloaded one from a poor site if some accompanied it.

A virtual drive will only work with an image of the disc. You can only create a working image if your disc is functional. As appears to be the case, this isn't possible as any image you create from now onwards will have the same read errors as the disc itself - and that's assuming you don't encounter any errors during the image-creating process itself.

Short answer: No. You'll need to buy the game again and take better care of your discs, I'm afraid.

Buy the game again? Can't he just send it in and request a new one? I thought Take2 offered that. After all, they don't want you to backup your games, so they have to send you a fresh disc if yours is scratched.

Buy the game again? Can't he just send it in and request a new one? I thought Take2 offered that.

I wouldn't know. Surely they're not that generous to anyone that's been clumsy enough to ruin a disc...? But hey, if they offer it, go ahead.

Regardless, upon re-reading the topic it seems the users disc drive itself has been ruined - not the actual disc. I'm sure Take2 won't offer refunds on something they didn't provide in the first place. tounge.gif

Buy the game again? Can't he just send it in and request a new one? I thought Take2 offered that.

I wouldn't know. Surely they're not that generous to anyone that's been clumsy enough to ruin a disc...? But hey, if they offer it, go ahead.

I thought I've done something like that before, but I can't find anything on their website right now. The physical disc itself is pretty cheap, it's the content (or the license to use the content) you pay for.

But yea, if the drive is f*cked there's pretty much nothing you can do other than getting a new one. Cloning the disc or using a no-cd crack would be considered illegal, as stupid as it may be.

I just hope it won't take long until all (major) game publishers distribute their games via internet, without requiring people to insert a disc everytime they want to play a game that doesn't actually need any files from the disc. How stupid is that? What Valve and such are doing is pretty cool, you purchase the license once and can delete and re-download the games as often as you want, and don't have to take care of any physical media...

Sicologikal

I fixed the Drive! All it needed was some Brute Force!! smile.gif

So should I use it?....Im still confused!

I downloaded Gamedrive Manager if that helps!

Thanks for you're help!

So should I use it?....Im still confused!

... The disc should work fine now your drive is working. But if you don't want to go down that track, assuming the disc can be read, you can certainly go ahead and create and mount an image of the disc or even use a no CD crack.

@ Steve: Valve does look more practical than the present methods. It's a pity they're an exception rather than the majority.