Speculation on next gen consoles

Gregatron

Title pretty much says it all. I would be interested in what others that know more about this kind of stuff think.

My ideas: consoles will feature huge hard drives to avoid bottlenecks associated with optical drives. They will be similar to PC in that games will be installed, and require a playdisk, but info will be read from massive HD (one or more tbs). I think we will not see games downloaded, as to satisfy Americans' commodity fetishes we will actually buy a physical copy of games. (However, there might be some download options as well.)

They will also utilize more motion sensing capabilities, like the Wii.

Other speculation?

Statutory Ray

I am hoping there is not a next-gen of consoles. Sony and Microsoft should just sell really powerful PCs in fancy boxes and label them as "Playstation 4" and "Xbox 720" so all of the mindless consumers can think they are getting a great product, and let the rest of us simply use our PCs to play the games.

kingvercetti

Pretty soon we'll reach the point where it can't get any better, like perfect photorealistic VR or something like that.

user posted image

user posted image

cybercheese

Yea, i agree with above, Although i can't see this happening anytime soon it still is a very true point. I think things will reach their limit when a major company rahkstar2.gif creates a "game" including an exact replica of the whole earth/universe which expands using learning AI, in which you can live a life at a time scale of your choice. That will be the Apocalypse of gaming industries.

But untill then i can't WAIT for the PS7 rolleyes.gif

Downloading games is going to become a big thing for the next generation as is Microtransactions unfortunately.

I don't think the Wii's motion sensoring is going to be a big thing in the next gen either.

Sega and Nintendo ruled for 2 generations, Now Sony and Microsoft are ruling for 3 and 2 generations respectively... i reckon the next generation will feature a new company coming on the scene, or an old one coming back. Maybe a new Sega will reclaim thier crown, maybe Phillips will have a new descendant of the CDi and take the console crown (hmm, actually i bet Apple have an iConsole in the works...). Maybe consoles will be banned after the fanboy flamewars get to such a stage they almost crash the whole internet and the UN will only let one company make a console at a time

hmm, actually i bet Apple have an iConsole in the works

Same here. I think it would be called the iGame or something. and you could hook it up to your iPod and iPhone and use it for stuff like music from your iPod and you can ude the iPhone as a headset or something.

DVf9mQs.png

Formerly known as The General

Exkabewbikadid

If Apple tried to enter the console market today.... I can just see it now. The Apple iPlay MSRP: $1299. A controller that requires 6 fingers and three hands. And a wide range of turtle neck simulators.

*shudders*

But as far as future consoles go, I'd expect it to look like this:

-CPUs with more cores.

-GPGPUs with more physics processing power

-Larger hard drives, possibly solid state drives.

-Broadband will have made great advances, so online distribution will be even more common.

-As far as physical format distribution goes, it's hard to say if optical discs will ever be used again.

Controllers that you control with your mind? It's already starting to happen so who knows.

oQywcQM.jpg

The PS4 will actually shoot blue rays and will tote 4D graphics. Of course Sony will not deliver the 4D graphics.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.