Stop Motion Movies

Mister Zero

Mister Zero

Recently, me and my cousin made men out of BluTack and set up a camera on the floor, and then made them scale walls and stuff. It's really got me thinking about how much you can achieve unique and powerful effects. It also struck me at how much it's used in popular culture, such as a video by my favourite band the White Stripes (Hardest Button to Button), Wallace and Gromit and other children's TV programs.

Does anyone else find this technique interesting, and if so, have you worked with it before? What were your results? smile.gif

The White Stripes - Hardest Button To Button

Edited by Mister Zero

Scarface187

I remember seeing that video ages ago. I forgot how cool that effect was.

user posted image

Mister Zero

It's something I want to try myself, set up a drum kit and follow it as I move with it. Though I can't afford that many drum kits (well, none at the moment... dontgetit.gif ) so I'd move them along with me as I play it.

I've played with it a bit too - it's definitely more tactile than other forms of 3d animation, and results are that really trippy not-quite-real movement, like Ray Harryhausen's stuff. I think Jason and The Argonauts is one of my favorite effects films of all time.

Mister Zero

Oh yeah, that bronze statue sh*t is trippy, and all the skeletons in it are really effective. I don't think I could pull something like that off. I'll stick to cans and plasticine men yet. lol.gif

Yeah I was going to mention Clash of the Titans too...

The AT-ATs walking in Empire Strikes Back was also done in stop-motion.

But none of that beats Wallace and Gromit smile.gif

Mister Zero

I forgot about the AT AT's ( wow.gif ), they were so well done. Except on some of the goofs when they'd knock some snow and totally alter the landscape. I suppose that's a skill in itself, leaving your models and surroundings intact.

I made some "death of Kenny" films using an old South Park toy i found and a webcam. I also made some teddy bear fights but they weren't that good. Plus you can see my hand in one frame and it looks really funny

Stop Motion is definitly my fav type of effect besides makeup. Love the stop mo dance in Evil Dead II, classic.

Stop Motion is definitly my fav type of effect besides makeup. Love the stop mo dance in Evil Dead II, classic.

Oh, dude! Or the part when the evil takes over his hand. That's classic. Or was that shot only in Army of Darkness? It's been a while.

Mister Zero
I made some "death of Kenny" films using an old South Park toy i found and a webcam. I also made some teddy bear fights but they weren't that good. Plus you can see my hand in one frame and it looks really funny

I did something similar with a camera I'd aqquired from school. I had a Stan figurine about 5 inches high and I used to make parade around the sink or even at school. Took me forever but watching it over felt like I'd achieved something everyone could have a giggle at.

I helped a buddy make a stop motion short about an action figure that gets jealous of his owner's new girlfriend. He gets drunk, and pisses on a picture of the girlfriend, and then attacks his owner.

We used a 16mm camera, and locked ourselves in my buddy's apartment for hours on end. It turned out really good, really smooth too, we went for 60 fps.

Oh, dude! Or the part when the evil takes over his hand. That's classic. Or was that shot only in Army of Darkness? It's been a while.

The hand part is in both, though they redid it for AoD.

I already posted this in the Youtube topic, but it's really cool example of what you can do with Sto-Mo.

I've been thinking of doing a stop motion with a skateboard for a few weeks now...still to get round to doing it.

Would also be tricky trying to get the skateboard to stand up straight and yano, do stuff without someone holding it.

kippers.png

Mister Zero
Would also be tricky trying to get the skateboard to stand up straight and yano, do stuff without someone holding it.

It doesn't matter how you hold it up, but as long as the skateboard is in the exact same place afterwards it doesn't matter. Fishing line or some thread would work well there, just tie it round the trucks and lower it.

@ fox09: That video is amazing, good concept too. icon14.gif

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.