Legality Issues?

spyro_ie

I thought this was the most appropriate forum for this question so please bear with me.

If I was to create a website with pictures, videos or sound clips from a TV show or Movie is there any legal issues I should be aware of?

I was planning oon creating a website based around a TV show with a mugshot of every character with a short bio and maybe some sound clips or videos.

Thanks in advance.

SupremeBeing

As far as i am aware. As long as you dont claim the content to be of your own creation. It is perfectly legal. It might be a good idea to link to the TV show to respect its copyright.

Mister Zero
As far as i am aware. As long as you dont claim the content to be of your own creation. It is perfectly legal. It might be a good idea to link to the TV show to respect its copyright.

My thoughts exactly, perhaps adding a footer at the bottom of the page or just below your picture. Maybe you could add a "thanks to..." at the bottom also.

TheJkWhoSaysNi

I'm pretty sure it is illegal... but I'm also sure that unless you're charging people to access the website, or selling video clips that the TV company won't care.

Images and screens are considered Fair Use, if you credit the correct people. Well at least it is in North America, and probably Europe as well.

In turn, you can try exploring already committed fan sites.

dertyjerzian
you can try exploring already committed fan sites.

That is your best bit of advice, and you are also allowed to use press kits.

Bandy Ban-Ban-Ban. Chugga Chugga Woot Woot.

Well looking on one website, they have no reference whatsoever to any source. My plan was to take screenshots of characters from a dvd I have and then upload them onto this site. I see a lot of sites like this but I plan to have a lot of screenshots and just wasn't sure. confused.gif

Well looking on one website, they have no reference whatsoever to any source. My plan was to take screenshots of characters from a dvd I have and then upload them onto this site. I see a lot of sites like this but I plan to have a lot of screenshots and just wasn't sure. confused.gif

Hell, even sites like Wikipedia has a long range of images from shows, except they site their origin.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.